Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002157 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7440 on: April 02, 2014, 07:46:55 pm »

Yes, you can do what I did and designate axes as "Training" weapons. They will be made out of wood, but nobody will bring them to fights.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: April 02, 2014, 07:52:32 pm »

Thanks.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: April 03, 2014, 10:43:27 am »

This is probably an odd question but, what is the fesability of expanding the wood cutting industry? It bugs me how one tree = one furniture, so I was thinking of using a sawmill to cut trees into lumber, then lumber into stuff.

Is this quite feasible? I imagine I'd have to remove vanilla Carpenter Workshops (or just leave them and people can use them anyway), but I'm not sure on the tree > lumber > stuff part. Will that work?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: April 03, 2014, 11:06:18 am »

This is probably an odd question but, what is the fesability of expanding the wood cutting industry? It bugs me how one tree = one furniture, so I was thinking of using a sawmill to cut trees into lumber, then lumber into stuff.

Is this quite feasible? I imagine I'd have to remove vanilla Carpenter Workshops (or just leave them and people can use them anyway), but I'm not sure on the tree > lumber > stuff part. Will that work?

You can't remove most vanilla workshops, as they are hardcoded. But you can make a custom workshop with custom reactions that will do what you want.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7444 on: April 03, 2014, 11:11:55 am »

You can't remove most vanilla workshops, as they are hardcoded. But you can make a custom workshop with custom reactions that will do what you want.

Yeah like make a custom wood in each tree or if you want like just one material "finished wood" and the custom workshop takes any old log and produces finished wood logs, and you have a special stockpile that only takes finished wood and your carpenters workshops take only from that pile.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: April 03, 2014, 11:18:17 am »

Yeah like make a custom wood in each tree or if you want like just one material "finished wood" and the custom workshop takes any old log and produces finished wood logs, and you have a special stockpile that only takes finished wood and your carpenters workshops take only from that pile.

Couldn't you remove a vanilla workshop in the entity file? I'm at work and can't check, but I swear you could just remove the civ's access to vanilla stuff that way.

I was thinking yeah, take normal tree > sawmill it into specific plank (i.e. Oak Tree to Oak Planks) > Planks into usable stuff.

I hadn't thought of just using a vanilla workshop that is just using those planks though. As I recall, I'd just need to then make the Planks "trees" that grow nowhere, and the vanilla workshop should take them... that's actually probably easier/less work then making a bazillion custom reactions to use every single new plank type to new furniture, actually...

One of these days, I swear I'll ask a question that's actually difficult to answer instead of kinda obvious! :P

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: April 03, 2014, 12:10:51 pm »

I think there have been a couple mods created that do just that. One that I remember is here.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: April 03, 2014, 12:16:39 pm »

I think there have been a couple mods created that do just that. One that I remember is here.

Yeah I actually have that mod in mine, but I was thinking of expanding it a bit by letting trees keep their... tree-ness when turned into planks.

I imagine it'll kind of bloat the menu, since I think the only way to make (i.e.) an Oak Tree into an Oak Plank, is for a specific command of "Saw Oak Tree into Planks", or such. It might be more cumberstome, but I think it might be more interesting. Although, as I type this, I think the Sawmill mod turns everything into Blocks (so you can't recursively use cut logs for more logs), but I think if this new sawmill uses specific reactions, I shouldn't be able to use an Oak Plank to make MORE Oak Planks.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: April 03, 2014, 12:36:22 pm »

I think you can just change the product to take the material of the wood. So instead of thin wooden blocks, you should get oak blocks.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: April 03, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »

I think you can just change the product to take the material of the wood. So instead of thin wooden blocks, you should get oak blocks.

Is that so? Hmm. I haven't done modding in years.
Although I can't use blocks to make beds and such.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: April 03, 2014, 02:28:51 pm »

make custom reaction to take wood blocks and make furniture? my DFRawCloner can make that super easy just check the Modders Resource in my sig to find a link for it.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: April 03, 2014, 02:44:48 pm »

make custom reaction to take wood blocks and make furniture? my DFRawCloner can make that super easy just check the Modders Resource in my sig to find a link for it.

A part of me should be ashamed the answers are usually (in hindsight) painfully obvious. I'll check it out when I get home!
Always have to love overcomplicating things to solve the inefficiency of requiring an entire tree for a bed :P

As I was planning stuff, is it possible for a reaction to require the presence of magma or water in the workshop? I figure magma, since a Magma Smelter does that already. This keyboard at work has an awful space bar, so noisy, a part of me cringes everytime I use a space... :(

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: April 03, 2014, 02:52:41 pm »

As I was planning stuff, is it possible for a reaction to require the presence of magma or water in the workshop?

Not in the same way that magma forges require it, for that you give the building [NEEDS_MAGMA].

I don't believe there is a similar token for requiring water.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:54:29 pm by BlackFlyme »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: April 03, 2014, 02:54:21 pm »

A part of me should be ashamed the answers are usually (in hindsight) painfully obvious. I'll check it out when I get home!
Always have to love overcomplicating things to solve the inefficiency of requiring an entire tree for a bed :P

As I was planning stuff, is it possible for a reaction to require the presence of magma or water in the workshop? I figure magma, since a Magma Smelter does that already. This keyboard at work has an awful space bar, so noisy, a part of me cringes everytime I use a space... :(

you can probably pick up a cheap keyboard for 20 bucks, I got a mouse and keyboard for 30 here in canada. anyways

magma for a reaction, no well kinda. [FUEL] on a reacction makes it need fuel (coke/charcoal) but if the workshop it's in requires magama and has access (6-7 lava tile under a non workspace tile) no fuel is needed due to magma taking that place.

So really you want the "building" or "workshop" to require NEEDS_MAGMA as for water you'll need a reaction or something to fill a container (like a bucket) so that you can use it as a reagent in a reaction (no container with water, can't complete the reaction, thus needing it)

ninja'd by blackflyme

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:02 pm »

As I was planning stuff, is it possible for a reaction to require the presence of magma or water in the workshop?

Not in the same way that magma forges require it, for that you give the building [NEEDS_MAGMA].

I don't believe there is a similar token for requiring water.

I see... darn, kinda complicates it a bit. I was thinking up a mana system, and using the five elements (Water, fire, wood, earth, metal), and had ideas that work for everything... except fire/water are a bit trickier. I'll have to reconsider those, I guess, or just make them made out of nothing.

I'll probably have more questions once I get back home. I seem to prefer asking, instead of finding out myself for things, it seems... :P
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 544