Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714659 times)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2012, 08:54:20 am »

Are those all bugs that Toady has already fixed or is planning to fix for the next release? It is already pretty impressive.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:01 am »

Are those all bugs that Toady has already fixed or is planning to fix for the next release? It is already pretty impressive.

They're already fixed in 0.34.02, which hasn't been released yet.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:06 am »

stopped lye making from using full water buckets

Where do I line up to bow down?

No more dwarves dying of infection because I'm too tired of micromanaging bucket-forbidding to get any soap made.

made forge jobs use bar amounts properly

Nevermind, I'm bitter again.

Back to the days of needing 3 steel bars for one damn breastplate ... I haven't known that feeling since March 31, 2010. How will I cope?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:40:19 am by Torchy »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 09:44:39 am »

Now we have the interactions, can you see the collection of things we have ever being fused into one? Interactions can cause syndromes and syndromes can allow interactions, but will the "sound" capabilities you added, and reactions, and speech, and similar ever be all handled as an "interaction"? What about us ever seeing conditional raws or variables? (Poor example: "Hello, I see you have" player:haircolor "hair".) I'd call it Dwarf&ObjectReferenceFormat.

Good job on this release. :)
dialog already works like that.

Yes, but I mean implementing things like that in with reactions, actions, interactions, all this stuff.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:08 pm »

Suddenly! Wagons.

I've waited for them to make it back into the game.
Does he really mean like, wagon-wagons?  Trader-wagons? Those had been gone for so long I had assumed they would be missing until movable siege equipment was implemented. 
where is up?

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 02:32:05 pm »

Postin' to follow.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 02:33:40 pm »

Suddenly! Wagons.

Does he really mean like, wagon-wagons?  Trader-wagons? Those had been gone for so long I had assumed they would be missing until movable siege equipment was implemented.

Yup.

turns out it was actually a pretty simple fix.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »

Suddenly! Wagons.

Yup.

turns out it was actually a pretty simple fix.

At least, it was simple once Toady knew where to look (thanks to Quietust).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 03:41:14 pm »

Wow...This is an exciting moment for me, having never even seen these wagons before! :D
I have to say, my most-anticipated feature, even if it is far off yet, is the personality rewrite. Imagine, everyone in worldgen having a motive for what they do, allies and friends, arch-enemies and people who need avenging when a FB pulls off their arms, all that stuff... Oh, and taverns. :P I think they might be a bit closer to reality.

I just love the new towns, imagine them with taverns which evolve specifically to serve the needs of the populace? Imagine the different menus, perhaps even specialty dishes which differ from cook to cook, or a house brew? Perhaps a shadier tavern might have a trapdoor to the catacombs, built in by a goblin owner a long time ago who had a lucrative business deal with a band of outlaws? And then, years later when said trapdoor is dusty and forgotten, your adventurer comes barreling up the stairs from beneath, pursued by unspeakable horrors from below, and finds himself in a storeroom? Oh oh, and I have to say, I would just love being able to construct taverns in Dwarf Mode. :D Forget traders, I could have folk coming from far and wide to sample my *Rutherer Tallow Roast* and wash it down with a pint of ale... And don't get me started on the cozy, intricate above-ground buildings I love building already!
Oh man, I'm rambling 'cause I'm half asleep. :P It's just for some reason I've been thinking about this alot. Forgive me. I should sell my house or something so I can donate to Toady.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 03:44:59 pm »

Wow, way to go Quietust. 

There's something a little odd about players fixing bugs on their own by memory hacking the problem away, though... I'm not sure Toady would exactly encourage that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »

Wow, way to go Quietust. 

There's something a little odd about players fixing bugs on their own by memory hacking the problem away, though... I'm not sure Toady would exactly encourage that.

He didn't seem to mind, at least. Great work Quietust!

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:15 pm »

Wow, way to go Quietust. 
Hear, hear!
My impression was that, instead, he thought it helpful as having brought to light a set of bugs in the code which would be quick fixes (when perhaps there was no reason to think so otherwise). 

But my first thought was actually "you know, given this is going on, it would save both Toady and Quietust some work if T just showed Q the source"...

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2012, 04:18:52 pm »

Is "Pulping" a goal for the short term or the long term? Inability to permanently deal with zombies in evil regions... might be considered a bug?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2012, 06:58:20 pm »

Toady said in one of the fixed bug reports:
Quote from: Word of Toad
Yep, this one is evil. Releasing within 24 hours or so because of it.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5114
It was about a bug that crashes DF when trying to save game.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2012, 06:59:43 pm »

Yay! :D I'll be able to use my first-genned world again, hopefully!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 748