Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3751920 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8010 on: November 17, 2013, 12:21:27 pm »

What are the current possibilities as far as interaction with retired forts in Adventurer mode goes? If our adventurer is from a civilization current at war with the fort in question, will (s)he get shot at and not considered a nice guest? Can we pick stuff up lying around without causing the entire fortress to turn on us?

Also...

Have you ever considered making experimental nightly builds, CataDDA-style? I know it's one of those things which fall under the category of "Cata's pros" rather than "DF's cons" (though quite a large amount of people wouldn't care about those builds, in all likelihood), but my point stands.

Pretty sure that both have been answered but I don't feel like going through 100-some pages that have piled up since the last release.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: November 17, 2013, 12:33:26 pm »

Have you ever considered making experimental nightly builds, CataDDA-style? I know it's one of those things which fall under the category of "Cata's pros" rather than "DF's cons" (though quite a large amount of people wouldn't care about those builds, in all likelihood), but my point stands.

From a Suggestions search for "nightly build":
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3290.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55017.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80797.0

And it was directly addressed by Toady:
Quote from: Toady One
I can't release every day (the release process itself takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get through my check list)

That was in 2008.  I wouldn't be surprised if the checklist is twice as long by now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:35:02 pm by Footkerchief »

Ergzay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: November 18, 2013, 03:27:36 am »

From a Suggestions search for "nightly build":
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3290.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55017.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80797.0

And it was directly addressed by Toady:
Quote from: Toady One
I can't release every day (the release process itself takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get through my check list)

That was in 2008.  I wouldn't be surprised if the checklist is twice as long by now.

There's no reason his release process can't be automated, no matter whats in it. It's not needed to be stable either. The whole idea of nightly builds is that a script runs every night, builds everything and shoves it to a server.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: November 18, 2013, 11:11:18 am »

His checklist probably involve, you know, him checking, you know, stuff, as he checking a lot of things in the game. If you can come out with an automated Toady then we will get the full game in half the time! :P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: November 18, 2013, 11:22:47 am »

Not sure if it's possible now, but Toady, even though Kobolds don't have a proper site, is it possible to mod them so that they can use one of the new site types?

Even if it WERE possible to do it now, towns/hamlets don't exactly fit Kobolds, know what I mean? I'd picture their sites to look more tribal. I don't know what the deep sites look like, but maybe the deep sites would fit them better.

Also, while I realize that the release is only months away, could we have some screenshots of the new dwarven sites? I know there were screenshots released of the goblin and (sortof for) elven sites, but not sure if screenshots were made for the dwarven sites. The hill dwarf sites sound like they would be a cross between hobbit burrows and hamlets.

Thought while typing: Will the problem of broken trans cavern-level passageways be fixed or at least minimized? They are at least common enough that you will eventually find one that does connect all the way through, but more often than not, they break somewhere, usually at the floor of the next cavern layer.
Edit: Bug report for this one: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6390

Can't wait for the new version! :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:00:38 pm by smjjames »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: November 18, 2013, 11:38:31 am »

There's no reason his release process can't be automated, no matter whats in it. It's not needed to be stable either. The whole idea of nightly builds is that a script runs every night, builds everything and shoves it to a server.
Toady tends to gut parts of the game in such a way that it simply becomes unplayable. There was a semi-recent devlog where he said that dwarves forgot how to do pretty much everything, for example. I rather doubt that the majority of people would want this kind of build, even if they say otherwise.

Not sure if it's possible now, but Toady, even though Kobolds don't have a proper site, is it possible to mod them so that they can use one of the new site types?
Well, of course they can be modded. And even without modding, they do have actual sites, the only nonhumans that currently do. I imagine that, if Toady doesn't get to kobolds as it seems right now, kobold caves will remain as they are.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:38 am »

Considering their tribal nature, Kobold sites wouldn't have much to them, maybe a central campfire with some huts.

I was mainly wondering how well it would work with the new ones or something.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:07:08 pm by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: November 18, 2013, 11:59:44 am »

Thought while typing: Will the problem of broken trans cavern-level passageways be fixed or at least minimized? They are at least common enough that you will eventually find one that does connect all the way through, but more often than not, they break somewhere, usually at the floor of the next cavern layer.

Is this bug report on the tracker?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: November 18, 2013, 12:06:40 pm »

Is this bug report on the tracker?

I tried looking before and don't think I saw a bug report on that specifically, but I'll check.

Edit: Tried caverns as keyword, didn't find one, trying other keywords.

Edit2: Didn't see any reports about that issue specifically, but what I've noticed is that while the trans-cavern passages themselves are complete, they often have a spot (usually at the very top, but I've had it in other parts of the passageway) where there is an up ramp, but there is no corresponding downramp above it, just a floor blocking the way. It's not the same as, but is similar to http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4520 . The passages are common enough that you will eventually find one that does go all the way through.

Given that he was working on the demon sites, dwarf sites and goblin sites (which are mostly underground), he might have fixed it along the way, no idea.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:22:14 pm by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: November 18, 2013, 01:53:16 pm »

If it's not already on the tracker and you'd like Toady to fix it, filing a report would be productive.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: November 18, 2013, 02:25:49 pm »

Well, since the release is pretty close, I thought I might hold onto that, but yeah I guess. A bit surprised there isn't already a bug report though.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: November 18, 2013, 08:15:58 pm »

How do armor weight and armor user skill effect attack speed in light of the attack/movement split? Does the body part armor is on play a role?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: November 18, 2013, 08:18:01 pm »

Rainseeker:    So what would you say is the most important skill right now for combat?
Toady:    Knowing how to use your weapon is still the most important thing you can have, but you will be flailing away wildly if you don't know what you're doing with observing. Fighting has always been an important skill, there's just this fighter skill, and it kinda gives you bonuses to all your rolls and also lets you pick up a weapon you don't know if you get in trouble and lose your weapon and, and if you have the fighting skill you're given a small amount of skill with that weapon, commensurate with your fighter skill divided by two or four or something like that that lets you still continue on in the fight. That'll matter more when you can lose your weapon in more ways.

So, then there's dodging and armour-using. Armour using is actually a little less important now, it used to be that armour use as a skill would let you move faster, because it would count the weight less of the things that you're wearing, but now moving faster is not, it's still important to get good skill rolls which it helps you with because it makes you less ungainly, but if you are just moving now it'll cut your movement speed by a lot if you're wearing a bunch of heavy stuff, and carrying a lot of heavy stuff that you don't know how to use but your attack speed isn't affected the same way it was when before it would make you attack five times as slow and move five times as slow, now you just move five times as slow, and just get the minuses to your attack but not the ‘move in slow motion' (lethargic noise) or whatever, it was pretty silly the way it was before. But now people on the ground can attack quickly, they still get minuses but they don't attack three times as slow as their counterparts standing above them so it makes a lot more sense now and people on the ground are more dangerous.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: November 18, 2013, 08:27:08 pm »

Cool. I should listen to that talk/podcast again, see if there's anything else I forgot.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: November 19, 2013, 11:38:27 am »

I've got a question (or two) out of curiosity regarding retired forts (as opposed to outright abandoned) and visiting as adventurers.

Say the only entrance to your fort is a trap lined hallway and you visit the retired fort and you are friendly with the forts civ (whether you are of that civ or not), will you not have to worry about the weapon traps or will you still be at risk of triggering them?

Obviously I'd have the advantage of remembering where the traps are in general, and training in observer skill wouldn't hurt either.

Second thought: Now that we can visit our living forts, how will we accquire stuff from them without it counting as stealing? The barter system? Use the fortresses trade depot (which I guess makes sense)?
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 748