Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3753031 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1155 on: April 06, 2012, 12:23:37 am »

Does one remember the Old Gummybears show from disney? They had those underground railway with occasional jumps  :D the only way in and out my fort will be exactly that! For Science (magma-moat not included, for Magma suitable for this product please call you Local dwarfs)

I hope water works as emergency break for this things if one is needed. A cart with leadbars will pack more force and would need more time to come to a standstill then a cart filled with feathertree wood. A reliable way to stop both at the roughly same place would be great. It would also be the softer landing.

If the carts can be powered with chains/gears/screws and if they can carry a certain amount of water i could see a new kind of pump here althought thats still in the stars.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:29:07 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 06, 2012, 12:57:12 am »

Only in Dwarf Fortress does "WE WNAT WHEELBARROW" lead to single-variable calculus.

You're right, we need to make it multivariable. 

Maybe we should start working on formulas for aerodynamic components of the piles in carts - the volume of the cart's interior should be measurable, and so should the goods inside, so when it sticks out the top in a pile of coal or whatever, then it starts adding further drag for the piles of stuff that go up above the rim of the cart.

Likewise, mass should be involved in the friction coefficient.  Naturally, the benefit of metal rails would be lower friction loss.  Adamantine rails should be like launching a cart down soap.

Furthermore, friction is loss of directional energy to heat, so we need to get the temperature system involved in this.  Maybe you could actually ignite the lignite in the cart with enough friction if you put a rough enough patch in there...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 06, 2012, 01:10:00 am »

Only in Dwarf Fortress does "WE WNAT WHEELBARROW" lead to single-variable calculus.

You're right, we need to make it multivariable. 

Maybe we should start working on formulas for aerodynamic components of the piles in carts - the volume of the cart's interior should be measurable, and so should the goods inside, so when it sticks out the top in a pile of coal or whatever, then it starts adding further drag for the piles of stuff that go up above the rim of the cart.

Likewise, mass should be involved in the friction coefficient.  Naturally, the benefit of metal rails would be lower friction loss.  Adamantine rails should be like launching a cart down soap.

Furthermore, friction is loss of directional energy to heat, so we need to get the temperature system involved in this.  Maybe you could actually ignite the lignite in the cart with enough friction if you put a rough enough patch in there...

Potential bug: lubricating adamantine rails with rock nut oil or giant eagle tallow reduces the coefficient of friction to a negative value, causing the minecart to constantly accelerate. Ladies and gentemen, the Dwarf Hadron Collider. I'm going to load up a minecart full of pitchblende and cause a singularity.

¡¡PHYSICS¡¡
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:13:09 am by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 06, 2012, 01:31:23 am »

Hey hold your horses! We dont know how the cart is formed, it could be a as far as we know a broad low-edge cart, not to mention that it could be just a flat board on two axles. We also dont know how broad the wheels are and furthermore we have to calculate the bending of the wheels relative to a pressure-curve (increasing weight) to get the exact surface area to which friction is applied. But essentially the easyer a material bends/flexes the more friction it creates.

While i see that adamantine makes good rails because they wouldnt bend and thus dont increase surfacearea i would say the roughness of a rail is more important if all rails have the same width. Making the adamantine rails Razor thin wouldnt work sine they would cut right into the material of the carts wheels.

I think oiling the axles of a cart is more usefull then oiling the rails, after all rails already have a minimum of friction.

Good catch on the heat. I could see sparks flying and also loud screeching that annoys nearby dorfs.

I think the higher air resistance in tunnels thanks to the cart compressing the air in front of it (and reducing the space where air can flow - the cart virtually clogs the tunnel) can be left out for now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:35:42 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 06, 2012, 04:21:15 am »

Is it possible to make loop of death using minecarts?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: April 06, 2012, 06:11:21 am »

Is it possible to make loop of death using minecarts?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This one's easy: Nope. DF tiles don't have any concept of ceiling which makes the upside down part impossible.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:13:01 am by Cruxador »

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 06, 2012, 08:24:15 am »

I hope water works as emergency break for this things if one is needed. A cart with leadbars will pack more force and would need more time to come to a standstill then a cart filled with feathertree wood. A reliable way to stop both at the roughly same place would be great. It would also be the softer landing.

If you want to stop a cart in a hurry, why not just use a wall?

If the carts can be powered with chains/gears/screws and if they can carry a certain amount of water i could see a new kind of pump here althought thats still in the stars.
[/quote]

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: April 06, 2012, 08:47:41 am »

When a cart flys off an edge and hits another set of tracks, can it keep going? Can Dwarves ride in minecarts?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 06, 2012, 09:00:03 am »

When a cart flys off an edge and hits another set of tracks, can it keep going?

I so hope it's possible. I had a dwarfish thought of having cargo carts criss crossing through the air. And depending how in depth the physic model is for the cargo cart, I was going to have diffent levels of landing area for different goods. Sorting by weight.

Can Dwarves ride in minecarts?

I'm gonna go with no on this, unless there are Tools out there were dwarfs can already ride/enter.  Though...

Toady, will corpses be loadable into Minecarts?

Nevermind on that question. Corpses are more or less containers like bins/barrels. I'm pretty sure those are going to be loadable into cargo carts.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:50:33 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: April 06, 2012, 09:44:04 am »

Toady, will corpses be loadable into Minecarts?

(push) 57 goblin corpses into the magma chute... nice. I suppose you don't really need minecarts for that though, you could just dig a deep hole outside somewhere.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 06, 2012, 12:07:44 pm »

I wonder if there would be stuff like carts going at high speed derailing at corners, perhaps depending on the material of the track and with a way to prevent it by placing walls on the outside of the corner (you could imagine that the track would be built sloped then, or something like that). In addition to being a new cause of accidents, I imagine this actually could also be a way to control damage from runaway carts on very long inclines like a spiral from magma sea to the surface.

Although, I suppose if a runaway cart would always go straight if given the choice, a simple T-junction with a dead end would catch it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:56:56 pm by ag »

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: April 06, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »

This one's easy: Nope. DF tiles don't have any concept of ceiling which makes the upside down part impossible.
They might not have a concept of ceiling, but they probably do have a concept of "is tile z++ empty?"

Dragongutz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: April 06, 2012, 01:49:18 pm »

I searched, but didn't find anything about it, i were reading about those constructed creatures and thought, should an adventurer lose a limb, will he be able to create a new limb to replace the one he lost?
Visit  my dragons, please.
Visit my city, too. I would be very happy if you could visit it each day to increase its population.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 06, 2012, 02:00:16 pm »

I searched, but didn't find anything about it, i were reading about those constructed creatures and thought, should an adventurer lose a limb, will he be able to create a new limb to replace the one he lost?

It was an old dev item so it's on Toady's radar and constructed creatures will definitely bring it closer.
Quote from: dev_single
Bloat35, PROSTHETIC LIMBS, (Future): Prosthetic limbs, could be fitted to individuals. Could be improved with hooks and so on.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 06, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »

Can fluids be put in minecarts?

Will minecarts passing under a waterfall automatically fill up with water?

If the first two are true, WILL IT WORK WITH MAGMA?
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 748