Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3751600 times)

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4860 on: January 03, 2013, 02:29:13 pm »

Some questions regarding the new movement/action mechanics:
You've mentioned that we'll now have a visual indication for the direction a creature is facing. What will it look like? My only reference to this type of mechanic in a game like Dwarf Fortress is in Unreal World, where you have a little arrow on the corner of every character's sprite to indicate direction. But since DF is a little more graphically impaired I wonder how will you do it instead. 

Another thing maybe someone could tell me: will we be able to move backwards, or diagonally/sideways facing foward?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: January 03, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »

We will be getting an idication of a creature's arc of vision as well as locus of hearing (details TBA) with the changes in sneaking.  Assuming that a creature has eyes on the front of its head, and further assuming that said head is generally facing the front of its body, this should be a fairly accurate indicator.

How this will play out in Fort mode is yet to be seen.  We have as yet to have been given strong indication of these features making it into Fort mode.

It would appear that Reaction Moments in the Combat/Speed split will involve various types of dodges and side-steps, of which oblique movements you've described could well fall part to.  Whether you'll be able to Moon Walk across a Haunted Glacier remains to be seen.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: January 03, 2013, 03:58:43 pm »

It is wrong that I always generate worlds with:
- No demons or Hell.
- Mod goblins to eat and drink and sleep.
- Remove the NO_EAT, NO_SLEEP and others such those from almost all creatures.
- Remove creatures as bronze colossus, fire creatures, magma creatures, the elemental mans (mud, blood and such).
- I allow a single type of vampire and from 1 to 5 types of were beasts because they are cool. I also leave zombies alone because they are cool and I frankly don't know hot to mod them (but I'm trying to find a way to stop single organs as skin or hair from reanimating, I would like Romero kind of zombies more).
- I have been toying with the mod that add firearms because firearms are really dwarfy.

And then play it? I do it because:
- The no daemons worlds are supposed to be faster and less demanding on the PC once a can of HFS has been open.
- I greatly dislike high fantasy such demons and creatures that violate certain physical laws.
- I also don't make use of dwarf atom smashers or perpetual movement machinery. In other worlds I like fantasy worlds with as little magic as possible (if not at all).

However:
- So far, I played under such conditions and found the goblins stay around quite a bit even with the no_eat tag removed. In fact I have never see them go extinct on any of the worlds I made so far. As for the gameplay I still receive sieges from goblins and plenty of wild life both above and under ground.

On a side note I dislike using traps beyond strictly hunting ends, all the enemies shall die by crossbow, hammer and axe!

Sometimes I fell like the worst dwarf player ever! :(
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: January 03, 2013, 04:08:39 pm »

Yeah, I guess a vision "mode" would be a reasonable way of going about it. But that one footprint picture really got my attention. I wonder if more "graphical" interfaces will be added sooner than we thought.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: January 03, 2013, 11:44:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This could probably do with its own thread.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: January 04, 2013, 12:07:37 am »

in regards to goblins not eating or drinking. i thought the whole reason for them kidnapping children and enslaving people was to put them to work in the fields to grow food and do other work for them. i think this would make more sense and fit them better than simply being ''magical'' and not needing to eat.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:45 am »

Actually, it's been written that they kidnap children because they want to raise a leader that's not goblin or demon. They hate the demons, and goblins don't have any leadership ability.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: January 04, 2013, 12:22:55 am »

ah i see, but theres gotta be a way to have goblins eat that fits with toady's vision of them. raiding villages and caravans is a way but wouldnt be able to sustain a whole civ. using captured enemies as slaves could work too or using less intelligent creatures like trolls, which are already used for their fur. goblins could also be made to eat sentients if they dont already, i could see goblins making dwarf soup after a sucessful siege.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: January 04, 2013, 01:06:10 am »

ah i see, but theres gotta be a way to have goblins eat that fits with toady's vision of them. raiding villages and caravans is a way but wouldnt be able to sustain a whole civ. using captured enemies as slaves could work too or using less intelligent creatures like trolls, which are already used for their fur. goblins could also be made to eat sentients if they dont already, i could see goblins making dwarf soup after a sucessful siege.
The problem is goblins aren't as scary if they have to be practical about food. They'd just be Machiavellian or sociopathic humans, instead of torment loving baby-snatchers, because the struggle to survive would undermine their current behavior.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4869 on: January 04, 2013, 03:26:18 am »

The problem is goblins aren't as scary if they have to be practical about food. They'd just be Machiavellian or sociopathic humans, instead of torment loving baby-snatchers, because the struggle to survive would undermine their current behavior.

Mordor goblins had huge farms and developped agriculture. It did not stop them from being scarry and dangerous. Being practical about food means having industry. And industry in hands to imortal sociopaths is scarrry as hell.

If we take away food, we also take away reason to form civilization. Besides, struggle to survive is too grand term - i have imagined goblins having efficient fungi production pits where they get their day-to-day bland food.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: January 04, 2013, 03:50:06 am »

Quote from: Devlog
Members of a new pair don't move to each other's sites yet, though. I'm going to handle that with entity position succession, which is next, so we should see various travellers on occasion when that is done.
I'm assuming you mean people moving to a different location when married. How are you planning to do it? Are we going to see different patrilineal, matrilineal, bileneal, and manyotherlineal descents between cultures? Or is it going to be one system for everyone? That could also potentially lead to doing extended families, so are extended families in your plans for near future?

snpaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: January 04, 2013, 06:53:39 am »

I believe I read somewhere that the only reason goblins don't eat is because toady and threetoe want all goblins to die from being killed. I guess a possible way to have it all blend is if the goblins don't die from not eating or drinking but instead suffer drastic penalties such as being extremely weak,skinny, malnourished, and  anemic. Thus the goblin would stand no chance killing even an average civilian dwarf after starving itself for 10  months. If they're reasonably punished for not eating/drinking then I could easily accept a goblin's settlement/civilization.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: January 04, 2013, 07:32:00 am »

Actually, it's been written that they kidnap children because they want to raise a leader that's not goblin or demon. They hate the demons, and goblins don't have any leadership ability.

That should be developed like hell. After all, why or should the demons put up with it? I doubt they agree, either. And i imagine the trials of Hercules look tame compared to what the goblins will do to bring them on a level playing field with the demons and other goblin leaders. Finally, it should also open up fresh negotiation options, both in revealing why, and once someone else finally get's in charge.

Also, i doubt that there is no goblin leadership material. After all, who's currently doing the job? I'd rather not pigeonhole one of the main races, considering they seem capable of everything else, and it would be extremely interesting to see how the demons deal with upstart goblins.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: January 04, 2013, 11:47:46 am »

When you meet travelers on the road, will they tell you why they are there? It's one thing to bump into random people in the woods, it's another for them to be all "I'm journeying to Bedscaled to be with my lover!" Especially as development goes on, and people travel between sites for more than two reasons.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: January 04, 2013, 12:20:51 pm »

If you place your fortress on a busy road. Will the travellers pass through your site in play? If so, could you play as a "bandit camp" waylaying them?
I would very much like to be the feared bandits of the Pass of Despair in some mountain.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 748