Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287298 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:45 am »

Ah.  You're looking for the towering magma-pipe volcanoes on an otherwise-flat map, then?  Because I have no problems genning stupidly-high, FPS-breaking volcanoes in my worlds.

Also, if anyone has tips for getting towers in worldgen, I'd love 'em.  I'm guessing they need evil biomes, anything else?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 07:13:02 am »

I have no problem genning what I can only call "magma towers" (volcanoes with only single walls, then pretty much a cliff down).
It's having a plain at the bottom that's tough. I always find them in very mountainous regions.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:22 am »

I have no problem genning what I can only call "magma towers" (volcanoes with only single walls, then pretty much a cliff down).
It's having a plain at the bottom that's tough. I always find them in very mountainous regions.

Same here.  I'd say the real problem is getting something relatively flat with magma near the surface.  Just genned a world with a site that seemed promising...  it was bugged.  The caverns had green surface grass, and as soon as the game unpaused, the magma started seeping up and out into the caverns, melting the local batmen.  You'd think they'd move; it's not as if lava's fast...

I've given up on getting readily-accessible magma for now; going with this embark:
All civs and two towers for neighbors; mirthful/haunted freshwater swamp/shrubland; stream; iron, copper and gold, at a glance; marble; fire clay and sand.

I'd upload the seed, but every time I try to export it, I get...  this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...WTF?  This should be fun.
7+7

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »

That first site I posted near the top of the thread has a nearly flat volcano embark.  But there's only copper and lead at the site.  I genned it in 34.02, but it'll still work alright in 34.05.  The world map has some differences, but the site is still in the same spot, and it looks the same as the embark map I posted above.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:29 pm »

Ah.  You're looking for the towering magma-pipe volcanoes on an otherwise-flat map, then?  Because I have no problems genning stupidly-high, FPS-breaking volcanoes in my worlds.
Well, I'd usually say that 88 (which is the one I posted) is stupidly-high, but the point is to have open air above the volcano, too.
Also, if anyone has tips for getting towers in worldgen, I'd love 'em.  I'm guessing they need evil biomes, anything else?
I don't think they need evil biomes; in the glacial worldgen they seem to usually come on glacier "wilderness" squares, which are entirely neutral.
=Uncool-

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 01:09:16 am »

After doing some more worldgenning and searching, I've come up with what I have to say is the weirdest solution to what I've asked for yet.

In the place I've found, there's a 45-level volcano in the southwest corner, above a flat plain; as in most cases, there's a mountain around the volcano.  What's different is that usually, the top of the volcano only has walls 1 or at most a few build-squares thick. Here, the entire embark square that the volcano is in - that is, 1/16 of the entire screen - is exactly as tall as the volcano is. Nowhere else on the screen is that tall.

It supposedly has flux, shallow metals, and deep metals; there is both platinum and aluminum in the world, but no rare gems. That seems to be a theme so far; none of the glacial worlds I've genned have had rare gems. This one also has trade with all races.

ETA: To find it: it is far to the east, 10 large embark squares vertically from the line dividing glacier from wilderness.

Worldgen params:
Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:GLACIALTO1050]
[SEED:UwUzGf7ojc4fvI2BUWND]
[HISTORY_SEED:omfnOTPn6PNkZkqFnVWM]
[NAME_SEED:RKZ46udYoMpcubro7hrH]
[CREATURE_SEED:GK8PeefnpczQokzEYuZd]
[DIM:129:129]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1274]
[END_YEAR:1050]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:2:50]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:100:350:1500:1500]
[RAINFALL:0:100:200:200]
[TEMPERATURE:-25:-25:200:200]
[DRAINAGE:80:100:200:200]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:3200:3200]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:200:200]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:5:1:0:0:0:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:2:4:0:0:0:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:1:0:0:0:1]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:1800]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:5]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:30]
[TITAN_NUMBER:30]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:28]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:14]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:14]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:14]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:14]
[SECRET_NUMBER:28]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:14]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:14]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:300:100:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:800:100:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:0]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:200]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:10000:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:400:100]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:0]
[SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:70]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:10]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:70]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:100]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:10]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:25]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:50]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:-1]
[SITE_CAP:-1]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:15:30 am by uncool »

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 04:31:28 am »

To add on to earlier stuff: I just tried genning a medium island with 15 levels above ground; it's almost exactly as slow, but seems to not kick you out as quickly (I've gotten to 145).

ETA: It kicks me out at year 225, which is a lot further than I got on glacial, but not all the way to the limit.
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:35:31 am by uncool »

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 06:45:46 am »

This is where I'm making a new fort, it's a great site, plenty of iron early on and then tons of gold:

Spoiler: Worldgen Parameters: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark Location: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Prospector: (click to show/hide)

Highlights of the minerals:
65k Chalk (Sedimentary layer flux)
210k Native Gold
11k Magnetite (Iron ore, in the chalk)
34k Tetrahedrite (Copper & Silver ore)
18k Sphalerite (Zinc!)
12k Garnierite (Nickel!)
7k Cassiterite (Tin!)
8k Galena (Lead!)
78 Bismuthinite (Bismuth!
4k Emerald
5k Wax opal
4k Clear & Green Tourmaline
26k Olivine (GREEN)
18k Gypsum (Plaster!)
34k Microcline (BEAUTIFUL BLUE!)
12k Lignite (Ore of coal)

Hmm, over 220 rejects for this ^^ Will have to give it a shot!
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:19 am »

I think I figured out why it was kicking me out early; I'm guessing that all the megabeasts died out. Perhaps I need to have more in order for it to go to 1050.
=Uncool-

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 02:17:04 am »

I think I figured out why it was kicking me out early; I'm guessing that all the megabeasts died out. Perhaps I need to have more in order for it to go to 1050.
=Uncool-

More and larger caves help megabeasts survive longer, IIRC.

Also, does anyone have any earthly idea why I'm getting a blank world seed ([SEED:]) when I try to export parameters for my latest world?  It's perplexing.
7+7

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 02:27:57 am »

=Uncool-

More and larger caves help megabeasts survive longer, IIRC.
Yeah, I think I'm just going to tell it not to check for that. It takes 117 years to get to the point where 50% are dead, so it probably should make it to 1050 with at least a few left.

ETA: Confirmation, made it to year 199. Age of heroes. Probably gonna take an hour to finish. I really, really hope there are some elves in this one...would suck to have to do this again. Although year 199 seems to be taking forever by itself...

ETA2: I'm gonna stop it at year 300. It's currently working on year 275, and taking 5 minutes to do so because it's a 25-year (which takes forever). The other years generally take about 20 seconds to half a minute, so if I genned this out fully, it would take at least approximately 20 hours (1175 minutes, to be more exact)) to finish.

Is it just me, or is worldgen a lot slower now?
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:57:16 am by uncool »

Kumu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 03:15:35 am »

Hello you worldgenners!

There was a 2010 map that I really liked: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=d89bc321601a21f1bc70c4b8343ad3dd&topic=64032.msg2206777#msg2206777

It had a volcano in the ocean, that upon embark was swallowed by the ocean and capped by obsidian. Has anyone found anything similar? I really enjoyed that embark.

I tried that map in 34.05 and it didn't work. If anyone could find something similar, I would be grateful!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 10:10:22 am »

I'm having some problems duplicating worldgen results.

The site: 3x3 with sand, fire clay, stream/lake/pools, some marble for flux, limonite, tetrahedrite and native gold among the ores, mostly good but with a corner of the map evil, and a magma pool in the first cavern layer.

It was exactly what I was looking for...  except for the giant thrips and giant moths and giant ravens.  Rather than whine about the new animals, I just stripped them out of the raws and re-genned.  Problem:  I can't get recreate the world with the same good/evil biomes (what was good comes up as untamed wilds; what was evil but green comes up as evil and bright pink) and--most importantly--the magma pool seems to have been a one-time-only thing.

Thoughts?  Are magma pools placed randomly during each gen?

My understanding is that changing the raws in any way will change world gen. Remember, you're influencing the history of the world by making your giant ravens disappear! Can you remove the raws from your save, instead of the main game?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2012, 01:50:39 pm »

Quick question regarding world gen.

I've been able to pretty well generate worlds with the kind of savagery distribution I'd like, but I'm finding that I typically get worlds that are primarily neutral on the good-evil axis. How do the world-gen pros get a decent mix of good and evil landscapes?

Thanks
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 04:44:10 pm »

My understanding is that changing the raws in any way will change world gen. Remember, you're influencing the history of the world by making your giant ravens disappear! Can you remove the raws from your save, instead of the main game?

I get the exact same site as far as minerals, ores, and soil layers--that's all identical.  It's just not generating with the magma pool.

I could, but I'm iffy as to how editing the raws would work...  the annoying animals would still exist in the game files; seems to me like that's begging for bugs/crashes.

How do the world-gen pros get a decent mix of good and evil landscapes?

I'm by no means a pro, but:

Those parameters give me a world that's bright cyan and magenta, with all four civs + kobolds surviving to year 1000 90+% of the time.

"Desired Good/Evil Square Count in Small/Medium/Large Subregions":  You want the values as high as you can get 'em without breaking worldgen.  I've also fooled around with civs--fewer of them, and smaller.  In previous versions, having a lot of good/evil land open for elven/gobbo population explosions could result in too many civs getting wiped out, esp. if you let worldgen go on for a long time.

"Maximum Number of Subregions":  5000, the max.  It makes for a deliciously fractal world.

ETA:  Oh, and necro towers?  Anyone?  The one thing those parameters aren't getting me regularly are towers, and that makes a sad mel.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:49:40 pm by melomel »
7+7
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62