Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 257098 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:40 am »

If you want to have this arguement create a new thread and take it there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2012, 11:42:28 am »

If you want to have this arguement create a new thread and take it there

No. PM eachother. I don't want this sort of general uncollaborative bullshit clogging up the forums. They are the only two discussing it and they were feeding into eachother.

Is it obvious now how you were making things worse?
well no not really, he hasn't re posted yet :3
sorry bout that tho xD

modified my above post so it was less large.

He was taking your stuff as bait. Don't sweat it just no more posts on the subject.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:17 am »

no more posts on the subject.
oh i had already planned on no longer posting on the subject as soon as i sent that last one don't worry :D
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2012, 02:50:19 pm »

I have noticed a few things in my arduous journey.

Firstly, I almost think of undead as native animals now. Depending on what species the undead is I totally leave them be, mostly because I find them hilarious (undead emu being a good example, though I have also come across groundhogs and horseshoe crabs). Since killing them tends to wind up in them getting back up, for the most part I leave the non-threatening ones alone.

Before I do a full post, I wanted to say something. Because of arguments that have been happening in the thread, I want to make it immediately clear that despite it seeming like Vanod is some kind of unstoppable badass, I'm honestly constantly tense. I could die at any turn (which I have mentioned in past posts). I have had to crawl away from Nganuz, run from the trolls completely, and back away from the cyclopes. Getting the cyclopes all down on the ground like that was a several-round challenge. Once they were all down and one was running away, I felt it was a hilarious "guys get up  \:| " moment, so that's what I reported on.

I'm not going to give a blow by blow of Vanod's journey because that's

1) not fun to draw
2) not anything different from what other adventurers go through.

I'm trying to show/tell about the interesting and different. I don't expect anyone to worship Vanod or think he's some kind of unstoppable badass; rather, I take pride in his victories and wish to share them as over the top ruthless angry caveman scenes, because he's a single little human on an island full of bloodthirsty monsters. Humanizing the monsters and demonizing Vanod seems like the logical step, here. Especially since he's a mockery and absolutely tongue-in-cheek right now. I'm mournful that that doesn't come across. If you watch stuff like Metalocalypse or Brock Samson from Venture Brothers, it'll hopefully become clearer what he's supposed to come across as.

I really don't give a shit about being the ~most 1337 gamer~ or anything like that. I'm having fun with the game and that's literally the only thing that matters. This isn't a pissing contest, this is me doodling my adventure on a really weird island that spawned. And hopefully bringing that fun to others visually. If you want to talk about how Vanod is not special or badass or whatever, I can totally agree with you on the statistic level; he's an @ symbol in an ASCII world with some numbers strapped onto him. The badass aspects are what I put across in my writing and art. Yes, I take it personally when you're self-important about it, because it's taking a lot of time out of my day to draw up something to entertain people, and this is just how I ended up characterizing my specific @ symbol. I could have made him anything- a snivveling idiot, a happy-go-lucky daydreamer- but I went with tongue-in-cheek metal caveman. Didn't you notice how he's got perfect flowing locks at all times? I've made other Adventurer stories with people with emotional ties and very human motives, but it just doesn't fit Vanod. He's from a ridiculous world, so I treat him in a ridiculous manner.

I will try to include more of the failures if that helps to humanize Vanod for you, because there are definitely failures or times where I have to sneak away and come back from a different direction after they've been picked on by undead or what-have-you. I constantly edit stuff out in the interest of length, I have like three pages of "eeehh this really doesn't add to anything" text that I've clipped away. I'm going for succinct and entertaining.

I haven't run into a semi-titan/titan again for a long time, so that is why Nganuz is the only one I've taken seriously. Next time I run into a bigger challenge, I will record it dutifully, as was the plan from the start. Things like Bilbo are just lame, but I like to include all named mobs that Vanod kills, no matter how ridiculous and short the fight is.

I will make a bigger update soon, this was mostly to address general stuff. I have a few more doodles and progress but I need to finish drawing it. Sorry for the wait, been having a crazy time recently and not getting much time to continue on this. I'll update as soon as possible. :)
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2012, 02:55:18 pm »

Earwig, everything you've done thusfar has been brilliant. Please don't change something, especially not to please the sensibilities of people who get off on talking about how other people play games the 'wrong' way. The camp-metal caveman route was the perfect way to handle this story, and IMO you should not divert from it. Looking forward to the next update. :))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2012, 02:58:33 pm »

Earwig, everything you've done thusfar has been brilliant. Please don't change something, especially not to please the sensibilities of people who get off on talking about how other people play games the 'wrong' way. The camp-metal caveman route was the perfect way to handle this story, and IMO you should not divert from it. Looking forward to the next update. :))

+1 er *hold up his hands, fingers splayed* +10!
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2012, 03:03:24 pm »

i'll have to agree with dice here as well. don't change a thing and keep the story comin :D
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Keshire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2012, 03:31:48 pm »

I'll jump on that bandwagon too.

This also has that John Carter/Tarzan feel to the story too. Which are great reads too. :P

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2012, 03:44:38 pm »

I've created 100% evil worlds before and had demigod outsiders and guess what(directed at anyone who thinks making demigod adventurer is bad): I've died 99% time to the monster in cave near the area I spawn to. Demigod isn't really "Easy mode" its "Less grind" mode. Naked guy with spear is kind of hard to not die no matter the attributes and skills  :P So yeah, its impressive that you've managed kill enough to get title without being permanently paralyzed xD That or you play smarter than I.

Arthandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2012, 04:21:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i'll have to admit that one is pretty funny tho.

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2012, 04:31:49 pm »

Do not change the tone just because some people are feeling insecure about Vanod being cooler than them.
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2012, 04:57:58 pm »

Yeah, it's interesting that none of these monsters attacked each other.  I mean, they just don't since they're all monsters, it's just funny to see Vanod breaking the 'Evil Harmony.'  In this world, he's really the only megabeast.  Not because he's a badass, but because he's really the only thing here that actually fights.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:15 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2012, 02:41:34 am »

So anyone had same thought as me as why his title is "Awe Inspiring Distraction"?

I think monsters are impressed by his mark of the manhood  :P
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39