Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2220770 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

I really don't have any other than they're expensive (which is a given,) and that the one I've had is years old. I guess I'd recommend a wacom one, since mine's lasted me so long.

Seconded. Wacom is an excellent brand. Also, Mr Frog, I have to use a mouse or a vertical touch-screen to digital art. ( When I remember that I have it, that is. ) It's really not too bad and it lends itself to certain artistic styles quite well.

Pretty much every single image I've posted (except one) has been done by mouse, which is largely why I never ever ever want to draw with a mouse again for as long as I live :V

Well... I just recorded myself singing six different songs... after working up the nerve for it... annnnndddddd it turns out the mp3 player I was using to record has a bad mic, and it's all buzzy.  ::)

edit: songs on the list were:
  • Lights (ellie goulding)
  • Percussion Drum (white rabbits)
  • Mad World (gary jules)
  • To Build a Home (the cinematic orchestra)
  • You are the Moon (the hush sound)
  • Kiss From a Rose (seal)
only Mad World and You are the Moon seem to have partially survived... probably because I was singing more quietly for those. Also, I shouldn't have listened to the recordings because my nerves came back after I had. lol

I have long ago come to the conclusion that everyone, even famous TV personalities, loathes the sound of their own voice. It's something about how it sounds almost but not quite like what you hear in your head, to the point where all you can hear is how it sounds off. Don't worry too much about it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Nnnnope, I mean it's buzzy. Lesson learned... I need some higher-quality way to record.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:47:48 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Well... I just recorded myself singing six different songs... after working up the nerve for it... annnnndddddd it turns out the mp3 player I was using to record has a bad mic, and it's all buzzy.  ::)

edit: songs on the list were:
  • Lights (ellie goulding)
  • Percussion Drum (white rabbits)
  • Mad World (gary jules)
  • To Build a Home (the cinematic orchestra)
  • You are the Moon (the hush sound)
  • Kiss From a Rose (seal)
only Mad World and You are the Moon seem to have partially survived... probably because I was singing more quietly for those. Also, I shouldn't have listened to the recordings because my nerves came back after I had. lol

On the plus side...  I got a lot of work done with the story today. I had to rewrite a couple chapters after I realized a plot hole, but that's a good example of why I keep chapters stockpiled and don't post them right after I finish them.

:O Mad World and Kiss From a Rose? Brilliant! I love those songs. Please tell me you've heard the original, Tears for Fears "Mad World" though...

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nnnnope, I mean it's buzzy. Lesson learned... I need some higher-quality way to record.

I was referring more to this part:
Also, I shouldn't have listened to the recordings because my nerves came back after I had. lol
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I'd love art. :P I'm curious about these high-quality visuals you speak of. There are a few places that sorely need a piece of art... like Urist and Vanya sharing their almost-kiss in the gorlak cave (seems like a pic-worthy moment).

Ugh. I wish I could grant this wish myself, but this sounds wayyyy too complicated to attempt to draw with a mouse.
No worries. :P Honestly, it's not that important. I was actually just listing the first thing that came to mind. The first part/book of the four has 15 pictures, the second has four, and the third only has one... so the first part doesn't really need any more pictures, I guess... granted, I just "stole" most of them from the Spearbreakers thread, though it's debatable whether they were actually "stolen" as they're for the same story in either place... Only ten of them were actually specifically made for the story, distributed as 6/3/1, comparedd to 15/4/1, so that's about 40%/75%/100%... i.e. the stuff from this thread only really helped the first part of the story.

McClellan requested a summary of Vanya's tale at some point... hrm. I'm not too sure I want to spoil the book. Generally, people have a tendency to click spoilers without discretion on Bay12. :P So... hmm. I'll summarize while avoiding major spoilers, major dramatic moments, and plot twists. You'll miss a lot, but you'll have a basic idea of where the story is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd offer my skills with a tablet for that piece mentioned earlier, but I... Splint no good with that sort of thing.
...huh? Since when were you not good at art? :P It's okay, though... but really, you're good at art, don't think otherwise.

My username here is pronounced as you would expect it; Lol-fail. (If I could change said username to EightTimesNine, I would :/)
However, the character of mine named Lolfail's name is pronounced Er-hail.
Ahhhhhh, okay. I got confused. >.> At least I know now. :P

:O Mad World and Kiss From a Rose? Brilliant! I love those songs. Please tell me you've heard the original, Tears for Fears "Mad World" though...
There was also Yellow (by Coldplay) but I forgot to mention that. And yes, I've heard the original Tears for Fears... but I like Gary Jules's better because the slower tempo makes it sound more melancholy, whereas in the original, "I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had" sounds somewhat sarcastic and scathing instead of legitimately unhappy and depressed, because of how upbeat it is.

I was referring more to this part:
Also, I shouldn't have listened to the recordings because my nerves came back after I had. lol
Ahhhhhhhh. My mistake. :P But really, the mic was awful. In addition to the buzzing, my voice sounds "tinny", if that makes sense... like I'm singing through a metal box or something, I don't know. It's hard to describe. My regular mp3 mic is better, but I have to have the songs going while I sing or else I just flail about and shut up... so I was playing it on my regular mp3 player and recording on a second one. There's no way I'm singing in front of my family. >.> I was recording outside.

edit: looks like yardwork again today, so I'm not going to be able to get much done. :(

Also: RE: Tablets:
I have one, and I've had it for... I guess eight years? :-\ I've only used it once or twice. I can't draw at all unless I have a pencil, for some reason - I lack the fine motor control skills for low-friction styluses, and that means my handwriting looks awful in pen. I can't draw at all unless I'm holding a pencil... so my tablet has seen very little use. I could ship it to you, but... one, it's old, two, it's cheaply made, and three... I have no idea how I'd ship it in the first place. :-\
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:10:18 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I meant that eh, romantic-y stuff isn't quite my forte. I'd be happy to produce stuff, it's just I'm a lazy sumbitch and need things explained in depth before I begin/need some references, depending on the situation.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I meant that eh, romantic-y stuff isn't quite my forte. I'd be happy to produce stuff, it's just I'm a lazy sumbitch and need things explained in depth before I begin/need some references, depending on the situation.
Ah, gotcha. Don't worry about it, I was just writing down the first thing that came to mind. :) Although I go nuts over art created for my story, I don't like asking for stuff, so I didn't really want to think about it for very long.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Ah, gotcha. Don't worry about it, I was just writing down the first thing that came to mind. :) Although I go nuts over art created for my story, I don't like asking for stuff, so I didn't really want to think about it for very long.

Pff. Ask anyway. I might be slow but I may be able to make ya something, provided I have the details needed to do so.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uploading a mess of mp3s soon.

and I am NOT listening to any of them beforehand this time.  >:( well, except for the one that's all speech.

edit: too late.  :-[ bleeeeeeech. kill me now.

reedit: can I just pretend that they turned out bad this time too? >.>

re-re-edit: and again. >.> okay, I see the benefit of practicing first now. a capella sounds terrible. >.< if I'm the one singing, at least.

quad edit: i'm going to die.

penta edit: it's not totally obvious I'm freaking out over this... is it?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:42:00 pm by Talvieno »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, well. I had a voice recording I was going to do, but it ended with me nervously chattering and rambling, so if you want to listen to it, that's HERE:
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/00-speech

And here are the songs. I didn't practice, I was very nervous, and tired from push-mowing the lawn, SO. Don't listen to all of them, you don't really need to. I just did a lot because it was exceptionally easy to do. Do not be fooled: I will suck, and I will suck badly. I also hadn't practiced... so I will suck even worse. lol
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/01-lights
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/02-percussion-drum
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/03-mad-world
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/04-kiss-from-a-rose
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/05-you-are-the-moon
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/06-radioactive
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/07-scientist
And now I shall disappear.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Okay, well. I had a voice recording I was going to do, but it ended with me nervously chattering and rambling, so if you want to listen to it, that's HERE:
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/00-speech

And here are the songs. I didn't practice, I was very nervous, and tired from push-mowing the lawn, SO. Don't listen to all of them, you don't really need to. I just did a lot because it was exceptionally easy to do. Do not be fooled: I will suck, and I will suck badly. I also hadn't practiced... so I will suck even worse. lol
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/01-lights
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/02-percussion-drum
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/03-mad-world
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/04-kiss-from-a-rose
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/05-you-are-the-moon
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/06-radioactive
https://soundcloud.com/talvieno/07-scientist
And now I shall disappear.

nonononoNONNONONONONONO don't disappear

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

no, I meant I'm going to sleep. =p *brofist to Reudh* thanks, though.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Talvi:

Listened to the 'Mad World' recording... before I even say anything else, it was far from bad. I actually found myself sort of getting into it towards the middle. However, something I noticed is how your quality changed throughout it... you sounded really squeaky and crappy at the beginning (lol did you really expect the great and terrible Mr Frog to be tactful about this) but smoothed out a lot towards the middle and end. Part of me wonders if the song was a bit too high for you, because (and take this with a grain of salt, I am incomprehensibly-terrible at picking out nuances in voices) your voice sounded a bit thin and tense to me. Maybe try singing something a bit lower? In any case, you are certainly capable of carrying a tune, which is more than I can say about myself.

(I should point out that I actually kind of like that song, so if I'd thought you'd defiled it in any way I'd be textually ripping your throat out right now. Rest easy.)

I suppose that demonic pact we made earlier now obligates me to record myself yowling blorpily into a microphone. I guess you all are pretty much fucked now! MUHUHUHAHAHAHA

I don't actually know much music which I am actually physically capable of singing beyond that which pertains to anime I've watched (besides a couple Adele songs, and there is no way in hell I am defiling those), so I'm currently in a tossup between horribly butchering Katayoku no Tori (the gorgeous opening theme to the otherwise-crummy Umineko anime) or playing it safe and doing La Divina Tragedia (aka "OH DESIRE") (the ending theme to said anime, which is far more in line with the quality of the rest of the show) on the grounds that I honestly can't sound that much worse than the original singer. If anyone has some suggestions for songs which I might be able to sing and are actually in a language I understand, please do lay them on me. (NOTE: I cannot hit high notes with any degree of grace. Don't make me sing Owl City, for example. It won't be pretty.)

NotAnEdit: Actually, I think I might be able to pull off Mad World (inasmuch as I am capable of pulling off any song) if I sing it in a lower octave. Don't really want to directly compete with Talvi, though ^^;

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

=p yeah, I was extremely nervous. I was outside with two MP3 players, recording onto one, while the other blasted music in my ears. I love the feeling of singing, but I hate hearing myself sing. About being tense: I was very tense. If someone had tapped me on the shoulder, I probably would've jumped six feet six inches.

And yes, you're very right, that song was a little too high for me, and I could barely hit some of the higher notes of some of the songs I sang. Sad thing is, I tend to prefer listening to higher-pitched songs... which means I wind up with songs I can't easily sing. :\ it's all I had on my mp3 player, for the most part.

I suppose that demonic pact we made earlier now obligates me to record myself yowling blorpily into a microphone. I guess you all are pretty much fucked now! MUHUHUHAHAHAHA
I lol'd. :P Which I suppose is what you were going for.

NotAnEdit: Actually, I think I might be able to pull off Mad World (inasmuch as I am capable of pulling off any song) if I sing it in a lower octave. Don't really want to directly compete with Talvi, though ^^;
I wouldn't consider it competing. I was really just trying to show Lolfail and everybody else what they could expect if they wanted me to sing something. (hence part of why I didn't practice beforehand - I didn't want anybody to expect too much of me.) I was originally worried it would feel like showing off... but it does not. It feels like nerves and panicking. lol
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:24:40 pm by Talvieno »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

Wait... that pact included all of us, didn't it... that pact means I have to sing now... If y'all don't mind, I'll do it tomorrow.

I still can't get the damn Vanya song right! I've tried so many things and none of it fits! ARGH
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 815