Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2218237 times)

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #630 on: March 23, 2012, 11:07:45 pm »

How the he'll did syrup leaf survive without adamantine?

Oh yeah, tehsid...

I've been terracing syrup leaf these past few weeks, and I honestly can't think of a better writing. Let's make this as cool as that!
What do you think? Yes? No?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:54 pm »

How the he'll did syrup leaf survive without adamantine?

Oh yeah, tehsid...

I've been terracing syrup leaf these past few weeks, and I honestly can't think of a better writing. Let's make this as cool as that!

Exactly! But only about... 7 of us do much? I tried to pique curiosity, and even made the homemade version of the spawn known to the world.

Part of the thing that made it great was the community it had doing stuff. We're just..... Kinda scraping by, but having fun at the same time. Guess that last part matters more, so mission accomplished so far!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:14 pm »

@Terrahex:
Syrupleaf is actually my least favourite of the Boatmurdered/Headshoots/Syrupleaf trilogy. I can't remember why, just that I didn't like it as much as the other two :-\ Should probably reread it.

@Draig:
IIRC, creatures with CAVE_ADAPT get combat bonuses when fighting underground, so that was also a factor.

In the future, I'd personally recommend sending out all fully-equipped troops, regardless of skill. Even if they aren't skilled enough to fight the Spawn effectively, they'll at least be able to take hits so that our important dwarves don't have to.

@Splint:
Well, IIRC, Syrupleaf only had a few consistent long-term contributors itself. And not all of them were that good... Granted, I don't think all (if any) of us really are, but... I think we're doing pretty good.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 23, 2012, 11:37:09 pm »

Giant Emu anyone? What do you think I brought those for? They weren't intended for food, they were intended to fight. We also have dogs and whatever dispatched elves bring (I made damn near all giant exotics trainable.) so setting up cages linked to levers to unleash the fighting animals first, and combined with an airlock system to break up attackers, the combined cannon foder and (If Frog is right) combat bonuses might actually allow us to absolutly shred smaller groups of spawn.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:19 pm »

Giant emus don't wear armor, which is somewhat important when attempting to take hits from a screeching set of walking jaws and still remain alive to take more hits from more screeching sets of walking jaws.

Also, are you sure you added [TRAINABLE] to their raws? I recall checking and I couldn't find it.

PS: It's probably worth mentioning that numbers mean a lot against the Spawn. Even baseline draftees with Competent weapon skill, Novice Dodger/Armour/etc., and no breastplates could often score a win if they had a reasonable numerical advantage.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:47:00 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 23, 2012, 11:54:30 pm »

They should have been trainable. I genned the world from premodded raws to include fighting giant emu. And the Giant Emu should, if nothing else, take a little longer to kill and maybe a kick will ground a spawn in the process.

If I did indeed forget the [TRAINABLE] tag, as unethical as it is, I'd like it put in as they were intended to be fighting animals. Plus, if the fight goes well, we can still use the dead ones for meat anyway!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 24, 2012, 11:09:30 am »

Mr Frog - Giant Sperm Whales don't wear armor either, but even untrained they're deadly killing machines (for the few seconds they're out of the water).

Giant Emu forces would be awesome, I really think we should make sure the [TRAINABLE] tag is there, too... I'm almost positive it isn't.

A question, Splint - should I just go through and put all the side-journal entries on the front page? I was trying to avoid it (to leave as much space free as possible) but if that's the majority opinion I'd be happy to attempt to put them all up.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 24, 2012, 04:13:30 pm »

My apologies for the late response. I got no sleep last night and feel asleep around noon.

I think if majority opinion is for it, then go ahead and try with the journals Talvieno.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 24, 2012, 06:48:01 pm »

I'm starting to think my dwarf might be going a tiny bit insane.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 24, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »

Nah, he just developed an unhealthy obsession with his weapons. That's not a sign of going bonkers. Not at all.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 24, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »

Hey, what red-blooded dorf doesn't enjoy stroking his wood every now and then? :P
(Yes, it had to be said.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 24, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »

Hey, what red-blooded dorf doesn't enjoy stroking his wood every now and then? :P
(Yes, it had to be said.)

Ones that aren't armok-damned elves! He better be strokin' metal or stone, not wood!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 24, 2012, 10:24:58 pm »

Rocks are harder than wood anyway, right? ;D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:03 pm »

@Draignean:

How's it going on the update?

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 24, 2012, 11:07:57 pm »

@Draignean:

How's it going on the update?
Ninja'd

I need to write my journal and upload my picture I drew of The Master too... Maybe later when I'm not so lazy
What do you think? Yes? No?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 815