Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244312 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #675 on: March 20, 2012, 01:38:55 pm »

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/20/10776901-dutch-church-accused-of-castrating-young-boys-in-1950s
At least 10 men and boys under the age of 21 were castrated in a bid to rid them of homosexuality while under the care of the Dutch Roman Catholic Church in the 1950s
The NRC Handelsblad newspaper identified Henk Heithuis, who was castrated in 1956 as a minor after he reportedly went to authorities about abuse he suffered at a Catholic boarding house, The Telegraph reported.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 20, 2012, 01:41:51 pm »

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/20/10776901-dutch-church-accused-of-castrating-young-boys-in-1950s
At least 10 men and boys under the age of 21 were castrated in a bid to rid them of homosexuality while under the care of the Dutch Roman Catholic Church in the 1950s
The NRC Handelsblad newspaper identified Henk Heithuis, who was castrated in 1956 as a minor after he reportedly went to authorities about abuse he suffered at a Catholic boarding house, The Telegraph reported.
Bastards.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 20, 2012, 01:49:31 pm »

Bastards.

Where western European eunuchs came from and why: the catholic church doesn't like gays.... [sigh] :(

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »

Da fuq? The linked source is probably not the least biased out there, but it's got a direct link to the bill itself. And I'm not sure any degree of neutrality could make the bill seem less obnoxious.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 20, 2012, 02:15:24 pm »

"Billy May here! Do you want to know the names of women seeking abortions?"

I had to, sorry.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:19:59 pm by JoshuaFH »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #680 on: March 20, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 20, 2012, 02:42:05 pm »

Da fuq? The linked source is probably not the least biased out there, but it's got a direct link to the bill itself. And I'm not sure any degree of neutrality could make the bill seem less obnoxious.
Well, I think the potential effect is somewhat overstated. The argument is that it's going from state aggregate data to county-level aggregate data, and that this allows people to potentially ID a woman by saying "Hmm...a 40-year old Hispanic woman got an abortion, and we only have one person in this county that fits that description..."

But even rural Tennessee isn't *that* rural. We're not talking population densities like Alaska or Wyoming. It would still be hard to ID someone from aggregate data.

The much bigger concern for me is that the doctors performing the abortions would be flat-out identified: name and address. Might as well include best sight lines into the office windows and preferred sniping positions while you're at it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 20, 2012, 03:20:50 pm »

Well, I think the potential effect is somewhat overstated. The argument is that it's going from state aggregate data to county-level aggregate data, and that this allows people to potentially ID a woman by saying "Hmm...a 40-year old Hispanic woman got an abortion, and we only have one person in this county that fits that description..."

But even rural Tennessee isn't *that* rural. We're not talking population densities like Alaska or Wyoming. It would still be hard to ID someone from aggregate data.

The much bigger concern for me is that the doctors performing the abortions would be flat-out identified: name and address. Might as well include best sight lines into the office windows and preferred sniping positions while you're at it.

I'm just sick of this scapegoating and puppet show distraction. The real issue has been for some time: jobs. We don't have them, and all our politicians want to do to fix that is throw money and tax breaks at companies who just refuse to spend on personnel. We've got some serious problems, but what are we focused on: women's reproductive rights. That's more fun to talk about I guess. It involves sex, you can look down on people, and it doesn't cost the people most concerned with regulating it anything personally.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:34:27 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 20, 2012, 06:07:15 pm »

Surprised no-one's noticed this:
Rush Limbaugh blasted Barack Obama for sending troops to Uganda to help fight the Lord's Resistance Army, implying it to be an anti-Christian crusade. Furthermore, he parroted the LRA's supposed objectives and implied them to be factual.
Yeah, its been noted in this/the last thread, it just happened a really long time ago.
Ah. That explains why I didn't see it, I never posted in the old thread >.<
The Huffington Post article is just from last week though. Did Limbaugh's comment go unnoticed for that long?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 20, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »

Rush Limbaugh blasted Barack Obama for sending troops to Uganda to help fight the Lord's Resistance Army, implying it to be an anti-Christian crusade. Furthermore, he parroted the LRA's supposed objectives and implied them to be factual.
Yeah, its been noted in this/the last thread, it just happened a really long time ago.
The Huffington Post article is just from last week though. Did Limbaugh's comment go unnoticed for that long?
No, its that the article is being posted in light of the recent stuff about invisibile children and kony.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 20, 2012, 06:18:24 pm »

No, its that the article is being posted in light of the recent stuff about invisibile children and kony.
Derp. I guess I'm just being a little off today.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 20, 2012, 07:15:57 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/20/chuck-winder-rape-abortions_n_1366994.html

???

I'm sorry, do women count as a portion of the population they want votes from?

“Rape and incest was used as a reason to oppose this," Winder said on the Senate floor. "I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape. I assume that's part of the counseling that goes on.”

??? WTF? Wait wait, so a rape, one of the most intimate and horrible crimes is reported (they aren't always), and you expect the doctor to grill her about it and ask if shes married, etc?

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:21 pm »

It's so they can determine whether to stone her for adultery or flog her for being alone with an unrelated man.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 759