Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247399 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6855 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:09 pm »

Fix'd.
Also, you knew that just from the 'shivving people' bit? Impressive :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:31 pm »

B) Why giving them a better life than living in huts is a bad thing.

Oh christ I'm not even going to get involved in this.

Yeah, no. I can't not get involved. Too much ignorance to ignore.

So, you're Africa, living in your apartment on World Street. You don't have a big income, so you don't get a cable package or an internet connection. You've got an old radio you listen to for entertainment now and then, though honestly, most of your entertainment comes from visiting with your friends and family. Some of your neighbors look at you as stupid, backwards, dirty, whatever... but you find plenty of happiness the way things are. That, and you're making things better for yourself every day, at your own pace.

Then one day, one of your neighbors shows up at your door. It's one of the UK's rich kids. She walks right in and says "Hey, I'm moving in. Also, since this place is such a hell hole, I'm going to be in charge. I'm going to fix things up for you, and show you how you're supposed to live. All you have to do is stay on your half of the apartment, and keep on paying half of rent and bills. Glad you agree."

The UK then proceeds to order the fastest internet connection available, a bunch of expensive rent-to-own furniture to fill the place, a widescreen TV with 800 channels, and gym and golf club memberships for both of you. Oh, and someone's coming by on Tuesday to replace "that dreadful carpet with something a bit more colorful". Of course, you don't make nearly enough money to cover your half of this, but your roommate's in charge, and she's going to make things better, right? Even though you have to pick up 3 new jobs, you're able to make ends meet. You don't have much time to enjoy the amenities of this new lifestyle, but you never cared much for TV or golf in the first place. Your roommate is pretty happy with things, though. She doesn't seem too concerned about the cost, either; her Dad's rich, and he's happy to take care of her half.

Anyway, your roommate spends the next 10 years enjoying all of the wonderful things she brought into your home, while you spend most of your time working your ass off to pay the rising bills and interest. For a while you try to cover your half using credit cards, but that plan backfires as your interest payments grow, and get you further and further behind. After a while, you get to thinking that, maybe this roommate of yours doesn't have your best interests at heart. In fact, you're getting pretty tired of her freeloading. You want your apartment back.

You have a long argument, but eventually Nelson Mandela is democratically elected you win back some control of what goes on in your apartment. You agree to cut back to a regular internet connection and local TV channels (you can get movies and shows on Netflix anyway). You agree to keep the furniture since it's already here, but you tell her she can get her own Gym and Golf Club memberships if she wants. Personally, you don't have any use for them.

These days, things are looking up. You've been able to pay off most of your debts, and even cut back to just two jobs. And the neighbors aren't as quick to look down on you as they once were. Even so, the damage has been done; your credit score is pretty much in shambles, and the stress of the last 10 years has probably taken 20 years off your life. Maybe things are better now... after all, you really enjoy that House MD show. But sometimes you wonder what your life would have been like today, if you had been able to build up this apartment on your own, the way you wanted it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:06:23 pm by Solifuge »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: July 29, 2013, 08:24:19 pm »

B) Why giving them a better life than living in huts is a bad thing.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: July 29, 2013, 08:28:33 pm »

But seriously go back to Stormfront.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:10 pm »

Oh lawd. That place.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:02 pm »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:29 pm »

Africa discussion is not sufficiently chill. Change topics.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: July 30, 2013, 04:08:53 am »

You know what, Leafsnail? Go back to primary school. Go back, relearn how to write more than one sentence. Relearn basic courtesy. Relearn how to not be practically braindead.

Dammit.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: July 30, 2013, 05:56:17 am »

"The Charitable-Industrial Complex".

Please read this fantastic article.  It is a treasure.

Just got around to reading this.  It's exactly what I've been thinking about charity for a long time.  It gives me some hope to see the child of one of the richest people in the world owning up to it.

When too many are too poor to pay the wealthy for the resources they need to survive, it threatens to break the cycle that maintains wealth and privilege.  So propping up the poor just enough that they can participate is nothing but a bare minimum of investment necessary for the wealthy to maintain their privilege.

Not saying that I'm in favor of crushing poverty.  Just that I don't see it as genuine benevolence when the wealthy give out some meager pocket change.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:09:49 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: July 30, 2013, 06:12:26 am »

You know what, Leafsnail? Go back to primary school. Go back, relearn how to write more than one sentence. Relearn basic courtesy. Relearn how to not be practically braindead.

Dammit.

You two, shut up NOW. Before Toady makes you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: July 30, 2013, 08:36:55 am »

Let's keep stuff chill. If you tell someone to go back to Stormfront that doesn't help in keeping things chill, it doesn't matter how much you disagree with his views.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: July 30, 2013, 09:06:57 am »

Ok sorry I'll be more accepting of slavery advocates in future.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: July 30, 2013, 09:14:32 am »

I believe he was referring to poverty rather than slavery. Still a skewed view, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: July 30, 2013, 09:38:03 am »

I believe he was referring to poverty rather than slavery. Still a skewed view, though.
Who, me? No, I just think Africa could sort it's shit out pretty simply.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: July 30, 2013, 09:47:48 am »

... I'd probably recommend some extra research, then. Of all the words I've heard in my exposure to the situation on that continent, "simple" is not one of them.

But yeah, we should be leaving the topic be for a while.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 759