Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247314 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7155 on: August 07, 2013, 02:02:39 pm »

A really in depth look at a new German coal plant. As always, it's a damned sight more complicated than it might first appear.

Biomass is generally just an incredibly inefficient type of solar though, isn't it?

If you are looking at algae then it's not as horrifically inefficient as it might seem, especially when you consider you can get a direct consumable and potable fuel rather than electrical power that needs to be stored and/or transmitted. There are better sources for electricity generation, sure, but for transport it likely has a role.

The question is whether it can scale and whether it would simply serve as a crutch on oil as a transport fuel (as corn ethanol has) that prevents moving to completely clean forms.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: August 07, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »

Seems like a story of how good intentions fall apart through the quick decisions of green organizations and looks

-Inefficient cooling tower (Looks nicer)
    -24/24 hour operation (No water cooling because green org didn't like it)
-No waste heat recovery (would've doubled the plants efficiency)  ((Some trees stood in the way))

Also yeah, America's fracking boom has dropped coal prices worldwide, almost driving natural gas out of the market.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7157 on: August 07, 2013, 05:41:09 pm »

Biomass is generally just an incredibly inefficient type of solar though, isn't it?
Depends. In America, yeah. In South America, definitely. Sri Lanka's setting a good example by using a plant that naturally grows in most tropics of the world, fixes nutrients back into the soil and can be grown in tandem with tea leaves. It doesn't compete with food crops and its impact on the environment is beneficial, it could also get Sri Lanka's entire energy grid powered on plants.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: August 07, 2013, 05:55:26 pm »

China's running some plants on waste products from processed rice.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: August 07, 2013, 06:33:16 pm »

I would rather have China's cities be able to have air that can support human life.
http://imgur.com/a/CnXGL
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: August 07, 2013, 06:35:19 pm »

I would rather have China's cities be able to have air that can support human life.

you'd think at this point they'd just put a giant air pump/filter system in the middle of the city and be done with it

also i like how your statement can be easily misinterpreted to look like you're implying china is not inhabited by humans

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: August 07, 2013, 06:40:07 pm »

No it can't. Not unless you're actively seeking to be offended, I guess

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7162 on: August 07, 2013, 06:40:37 pm »

you'd think at this point they'd just put a giant air pump/filter system in the middle of the city and be done with it

also i like how your statement can be easily misinterpreted to look like you're implying china is not inhabited by humans
Reading comprehension 20/20 then. You have to make some mighty leaps to go from one to the other.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: August 07, 2013, 07:11:24 pm »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: August 07, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »

I fucking knew it. I never eat lobster because of the way they're cooked and killed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: August 07, 2013, 08:34:02 pm »

We have been very cruel.

I never did buy into that bullshit about them not feeling pain... it always reeked of "I don't want to think about it because I might have to change my mind."

Reminds me of another food practice that I find even more disturbing -- that one where they pour soy sauce into a cephalopod to make it dance.  They say "Oh but it's dead and that's just the sodium causing its nerves to fire!"

I get the impression that people who recite that don't actually stop and think about what that means and are just satisfied that it sounds sciencey.  Doesn't seem to occur to them that firing nerves is pretty fucking meaningless as a description of what's going on, since that can describe basically any function of a living organism.

I did some actual reading into how that dish is served and how it relates to the creature's physiology.  Many posts and articles on the subject claim that the "head" of the creature is cut off before serving, therefore it doesn't have a brain and can't be experiencing anything.  From what I've read, cephalopods don't have the same sort of central nervous system that most vertebrates do.  They do have a central brain of sorts, but it's not located in that bulbous thing most people would think of as the head.  Its brain is a ring shape that runs around the base of its body, surrounding its mouth.  Each tentacle also has a sort of semi-autonomous mini-brain of its own.  It's debated how much of the creature's thinking and experience takes place in its central ring-shaped brain.  The majority of its nervous system is actually located in its tentacles.  The bulbous thing sitting on top of all that is where all its other internal organs are located - basically its gut.

So when they serve dancing squid/octopus, they place it on a plate, chop off its "head", and usually serve it within a minute or two.  If they wait much longer, the dancing effect doesn't take place or isn't as impressive.  Customers are encouraged to pour the soy sauce quickly for this reason.

Think about this.  As compared to human physiology it's more like a disembowelment than a beheading.  Even worse, it directly exposes the part of the octopus that contains its central nervous system, and that's the part that the soy sauce is then poured into.  And how quickly does any creature die from disembowelment?  Certainly not in a minute or two.  It's been proven that even victims of actual beheading can remain alive and aware for at least a couple minutes.  Either type of injury will completely disable the victim to the point that they stop struggling pretty quickly, though.

And Bay12 has had more than one conversation about how fascinating the intelligence of cephalopods is.

So imagine for a moment having your guts ripped out of your body, the top of your skull removed, and then, while you're still conscious but helpless, soy sauce poured into your brain so that it goes completely haywire as spectators take pleasure at the sight of your convulsions.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:37:51 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:36 pm »

I still say the cruelest form of food is the one where they basically turn a (still living) frog inside out and eat it. Raw, I believe.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: August 07, 2013, 08:48:02 pm »

I don't even remotely understand the motivation behind that. I prefer my food good and dead before any preparation takes place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: August 07, 2013, 08:54:28 pm »

The suffering adds flavoring.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: August 07, 2013, 08:59:40 pm »

We have been very cruel.

I always found the way crabs and lobsters are consumed to be really abhorent. If the same were done to a chicken there would be outrage, yet nothing if its a crab. I have always suspected part of the problem is that crabs are ugly and we cant relate to them ::).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 759