Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247059 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7410 on: August 14, 2013, 02:13:06 pm »

Women in prisons are being forced into sterilization
So prisons are definitely not for correcting behaviour and instead are for... profit I guess. Got it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: August 14, 2013, 02:14:31 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/video/outrage-over-forced-sterilization-female-150136080.html

Women in prisons are being forced into sterilization, given the racial bias in conviction and sentencing outcomes, this may constitute a literal genocide in America.

The comments on that page are just terrible...

it's yahoo news. why do you read the comments? it's like reading social justice tumblrs hoping to learn something

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: August 14, 2013, 02:15:44 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/video/outrage-over-forced-sterilization-female-150136080.html

Women in prisons are being forced into sterilization, given the racial bias in conviction and sentencing outcomes, this may constitute a literal genocide in America.

The comments on that page are just terrible...

it's yahoo news. why do you read the comments? it's like reading social justice tumblrs hoping to learn something
I read both when I'm bored. That, or I search for 'christian' or 'god' the talk pages of sciency Wikipedia pages >.>

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: August 14, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »

It's a bad habit
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »

Holy heck.  I can't believe that is actually happening in the US.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: August 14, 2013, 02:43:10 pm »

This sort of thing has been happening continuously for centuries, sadly =(  Here's a famous example from 1927, but there are lots more recent cases.  American eugenics programs were the blueprint for what the Nazis eventually carried out, and groups such as the Rockefeller foundation actually provided funding.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7416 on: August 14, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »

I am appalled that it STILL happens in America, but considering the widespread support such things get by the general public I shouldn't be surprised.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: August 14, 2013, 02:55:30 pm »

Holy heck.  I can't believe that is actually happening in the US.

Pretty sure it's been going on for a while... it's been mentioned on these boards a couple times.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: August 14, 2013, 03:01:23 pm »

Of all countries Sweden - you know, the very model of a socialdemocratic European state - had had a nationwide eugenics/forcible sterilization program until 1975.

But, since I like being contrarian, do you think there is any, literally any, situation, in which forcible sterilization is excusable?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: August 14, 2013, 03:03:31 pm »

If they have a genetic mutation that makes all their kids into horrifying bloodfiends bent on world destruction and domination.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: August 14, 2013, 03:06:47 pm »

A few, sure. Saving life of patient, etc. Probably some edge cases regarding insanity. Possibly in extreme resource crises. Potentially killing off particular genetic diseases, if they're bad enough (though "bad enough" would have to be pretty damn bad.) and we haven't figured out better options by the point it became something approaching necessary.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: August 14, 2013, 03:09:27 pm »

Usually it's considered excusable in the event that it is medically known to 100% probability with no sliver of doubt that a person will never, ever, ever be able to make decisions for themselves.

Like the babies born with only a brainstem.

(On the other hand disabled children are sometimes given hysterectomies so that the parents won't have to deal with menstruation--this is horrible and not medically indicated, since there are period-suppressing drugs and disabled people who can make choices deserve to make their own choices).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7422 on: August 14, 2013, 03:46:24 pm »

No. Procreation is a basic human right. Ethically I can't see any justification for its permanent infringement by forced sterilization.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: August 14, 2013, 04:00:57 pm »

Probably not. There are situations in which it's a tempting option, but the implications are delicate enough to warrant thinking it twice and thrice.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: August 14, 2013, 04:31:14 pm »

No. Procreation is a basic human right. Ethically I can't see any justification for its permanent infringement by forced sterilization.

OK - let's say we have an alcoholic woman who, despite being unable to support them, keeps giving births to children - whether due to ignorance or indifference - which are later forced to live on the streets, and that's if they survive. Justified or not, and why?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 759