Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244288 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9060 on: January 04, 2015, 10:35:34 pm »

It's why aggravated assault imposes penalties above regular assault when you're using a deadly weapon

Erm... Most of the things typically thought of as 'deadly weapons' (such as knives) it is illegal to carry around in public... Also, literally anything can be a deadly weapon.

Then again, I might be missing something since I don't live in 'Murica where any average Joe can a buy gun from your local supermarket and convenience store.
You can get a license for these things. Deadly weapon is a well-defined legal category, actually. I don't think I need to argue that licensing people to wear hoodies in public is absurd, but keep in mind that's still technically more permissive than what's being suggested. The point is that the law often includes penalties that exacerbate punishments for crimes committed in particular ways - which doesn't necessarily do much to deter crime because criminals are rarely rationally computing expected losses from their actions, don't expect to be caught, and so on. I just grabbed an obvious example.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: January 04, 2015, 10:44:07 pm »

Yet comment from a fellow moderate was that there was new evidence suggesting Brown had reacted violently and/or tried to resist arrest to the police officer, thus adding more assets towards the cop's innocence regarding this issue.

What is this evidence and how credible is it?
Outside the publicly released grand jury testimonies, I'm personally unaware of any notable evidence of that nature. And in that case, you've got contradictory testimony from the two closest people (Brown's friend, and the police officer) in regards to what went down and a fairly incredibly shitty prosecutorial performance crapping all over much of what came out of said grand jury.

If there's nothing new and that's what they were talking about, the answer is the grand jury testimonies (in this case, pretty much entirely the LEO's, since the other immediate report marks the officer as the belligerent party and initiator of violence) and very much arguably credible.

E: I'll admit I haven't exactly been paying attention once it became fairly obvious the situation wasn't going to trial like it needed to, though. It's entirely possible there's some sort of new evidence that's come up, but I'm not entirely sure what that evidence could be, unless they somehow dug up a close-up video recording of the event, complete with clear audio.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:48:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:57 pm »

That's quite a lot of information you're asking for there, Sheo.  The details are quite hotly debated, and one could write a very long post in order to cover them all comprehensively.

I'll summarize for you as best I can:  The police selectively edited some surveillance footage from a local convenience store to make it look like Brown was a thug, but the owner of that store later vouched that Brown didn't bully anybody or steal anything.  There was a disagreement between Brown and store clerk that got heated for a few seconds (something about the clerk refusing to accept Brown's payment, IIRC) during which Brown shoved the clerk, but it ended peacefully and Brown paid for the stuff and left.

The police account of the confrontation is that Brown attacked Wilson, ran away, and then turned back around and charged at him.  Other witness accounts seem to indicate the exact opposite.  Forensic evidence supports a mix between the two stories, but there was no evidence or testimony that I'm aware of besides Wilson's own word that Brown ever attacked him.  The guy who was walking with Brown says that Wilson pulled up right next to them and pulled Brown into his car window.  One thing quite clear is that Wilson's account is lying about multiple details, but not anything that points to one side or the other's story being conclusively the correct one.

Personally, I'm much more inclined to believe it was Wilson that attacked Brown, but I'm very cynical about police in the U.S.  Go ahead and ask if you have any more specific questions, but I would suggest looking up fact-based sources on your own to get a better impression of what the issue looks like.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:48:55 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: January 04, 2015, 10:52:55 pm »

That's quite a lot of information you're asking for there, Sheo.  The details are quite hotly debated, and one could write a very long post in order to cover them all comprehensively.

I'll summarize for you as best I can:  The police selectively edited some surveillance footage from a local convenience store to make it look like Brown was a thug, but the owner of that store later vouched that Brown didn't bully anybody or steal anything.  There was a disagreement between Brown and store clerk that got heated for a few seconds (something about the clerk refusing to accept Brown's payment, IIRC) during which Brown shoved the clerk, but it ended peacefully and Brown paid for the stuff and left.

The police account of the confrontation is that Brown attacked Wilson, ran away, and then turned back around and charged at him.  Other witness accounts seem to indicate the exact opposite.  Forensic evidence supports a mix between the two stories, but there was no evidence or testimony that I'm aware of besides Wilson's own word that Brown ever attacked him.  The guy who was walking with Brown says that Wilson pulled up right next to them and pulled Brown into his car window.  One thing quite clear is that Wilson's account is lying about multiple details, but not anything that points to one side or the other's story being conclusively the correct one.

Personally, I'm much more inclined to believe it was Wilson that attacked Brown, but I'm very cynical about police in the U.S.  Go ahead and ask if you have any more specific questions, but I would suggest looking up fact-based sources on your own to get a better impression of what the issue looks like.
Your explanation is already quite satisfactory - thanks, friend.

That was pretty much all I needed. My friend's comment made it seem like there was no doubt whatsoever of which side was right or wrong.

It is good to know things aren't quite so black and white.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: January 04, 2015, 11:05:33 pm »

This has probably been mentioned already, but fun fact- if you're black belt in something you automatically get upgraded to 'deadly weapon' status; legally.

So if I picked up a black belt martial artist and hit someone with him, he counts as a deadly weapon?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: January 04, 2015, 11:07:17 pm »

Not completely, no... but there are many well-established facts that do not reflect well at all on the police.  There are two major unresolved disputes about what happened during the confrontation

1.  Who initiated the scuffle inside Wilson's car.  Did Wilson pull him in, or did Brown reach through on his own?  (Noteworthy point:  there was supposedly a gunshot from within the car, and Wilson's blood was found inside the car.  Wilson claims he suffered a horrible face injury, but photo evidence following the event show only a light bruise under his eye.)
2.  After that scuffle, Brown ran.   Wilson got out of his car and shot at him.  Brown then stopped and turned around.  What's unclear at this point is whether Brown proceeded to charge back towards Wilson or not.

But the following is stuff that indisputably reflects badly on police.

1.  Police releasing misleading content to the public to try and smear public perception of Brown's character.
2.  According to Wilson's story, he asked these two people to get out of the street.  They responded aggressively to him, and he was afraid of them.  So why did he respond by spontaneously pulling his car around to where his window was within arm's reach?  (one conclusive fact established by witnesses is they heard tires squeeling just before Brown's upper body was seen through Wilson's car window)
3.  It's firmly established that Wilson shot at Brown as he was running away, and the final barrage of bullets was fired from a pretty good distance.  Why?
4.  The court proceedings were very obviously corrupted in order to prevent a trial.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:09:46 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: January 04, 2015, 11:08:37 pm »

This has probably been mentioned already, but fun fact- if you're black belt in something you automatically get upgraded to 'deadly weapon' status; legally.

So if I picked up a black belt martial artist and hit someone with him, he counts as a deadly weapon?
Depends. Is he flailing?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: January 05, 2015, 05:10:13 am »

Not completely, no... but there are many well-established facts that do not reflect well at all on the police.  There are two major unresolved disputes about what happened during the confrontation

1.  Who initiated the scuffle inside Wilson's car.  Did Wilson pull him in, or did Brown reach through on his own?  (Noteworthy point:  there was supposedly a gunshot from within the car, and Wilson's blood was found inside the car.  Wilson claims he suffered a horrible face injury, but photo evidence following the event show only a light bruise under his eye.)
2.  After that scuffle, Brown ran.   Wilson got out of his car and shot at him.  Brown then stopped and turned around.  What's unclear at this point is whether Brown proceeded to charge back towards Wilson or not.

But the following is stuff that indisputably reflects badly on police.

1.  Police releasing misleading content to the public to try and smear public perception of Brown's character.
2.  According to Wilson's story, he asked these two people to get out of the street.  They responded aggressively to him, and he was afraid of them.  So why did he respond by spontaneously pulling his car around to where his window was within arm's reach?  (one conclusive fact established by witnesses is they heard tires squeeling just before Brown's upper body was seen through Wilson's car window)
3.  It's firmly established that Wilson shot at Brown as he was running away, and the final barrage of bullets was fired from a pretty good distance.  Why?
4.  The court proceedings were very obviously corrupted in order to prevent a trial.

It's horribly hard to form an hard oppinion on this topic when the only certainty you have is that all official report will be tampered with if convenient.

I'd say "but the autopsy" but american police has been known to mess with about everything in the past. And the witnesses are never reliable in those cases.

If you think it's important to know for sure if peoples are being murdered, you'll have to fix the system. And keep in mind it may happen to you or anyone you know, being black only make it more likely. Beside the police aren't the only one with impunity, very rich peoples seems to have gotten a pass in several occasions too.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: January 05, 2015, 05:52:21 am »

but while reading this discussion, I also can't stop thinking about the recent push in the U.S. to ban face-coverings and the like at protests or even in general public, quite obviously for the purpose of discouraging political expression.
This is actually the one case in which I'm certain it is forbidden in Germany to cover up - the Vermummungsverbot. It was instated to make prosecution of crimes during demonstrations, such as throwing rocks, easier.
And honestly if you're going to be active politically you can at least have the decency to show who you are. Demonstrations are a form of communication, after all.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: January 05, 2015, 08:09:04 am »

And honestly if you're going to be active politically you can at least have the decency to show who you are. Demonstrations are a form of communication, after all.

I agree if being "active politically" means "running for or serving as a professional politician".

Otherwise, I cannot agree.  In the U.S., employers will fire you, you might be placed on "potential domestic terrorist" watchlists, marked for harassment and denial of access to rights by authorities, and even targeted for assassination (Link:  The FBI was aware of an assassination plot targeting Occupy organizers.  Didn't bother to warn the targets, and still refuses to release any further details beyond the FOIA revelations that there was one and they knew about it.)

Freedom of expression is not so respected in the U.S. as it's supposed to be, and can be a serious danger to livelihoods.  Removing the ability to do so anonymously is a really easy way to discourage many from doing so at all.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: January 05, 2015, 08:56:34 am »

Otherwise, I cannot agree.  In the U.S., employers will fire you, you might be placed on "potential domestic terrorist" watchlists, marked for harassment and denial of access to rights by authorities, and even targeted for assassination (Link:  The FBI was aware of an assassination plot targeting Occupy organizers.  Didn't bother to warn the targets, and still refuses to release any further details beyond the FOIA revelations that there was one and they knew about it.)

Freedom of expression is not so respected in the U.S. as it's supposed to be, and can be a serious danger to livelihoods.  Removing the ability to do so anonymously is a really easy way to discourage many from doing so at all.
Wearing baclavas/burkas/whatever is not the appropriate way to stop such things from happening: Being put on any list requires them to have your name, which kinda implies you already were stopped by an officer and had your personal info noted, and against employers firing you (the real risk for most demonstrations, methinks) there are the courts (there are laws against that type of thing, right?) and, if nothing else helps, public outrage. One could even argue that being fired because of demonstrating is a good thing, since it gives a chance to expose an employer with an undesirable political agenda to the general public.

And to your last point: Who covers their faces right now anyway? Paranoiacs and the black bloc. It certainly isn't the norm, and so it is absurd to claim that the average protestor would be hindered by such a law.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: January 05, 2015, 09:01:52 am »

I forgot about that : peoples tend to lose their jobs over stupid internet feud in the US, so I suppose that being in a protest would be an huge professional risk. On the left as on the right, actually, and I hate how witch-hunty a part of left has become, too.

Before anyone write something to complain, remembre which side you took in the campain to get Brian Eich fired over a PRIVATE donnation.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: January 05, 2015, 09:25:35 am »

gainst employers firing you (the real risk for most demonstrations, methinks) there are the courts (there are laws against that type of thing, right?)

No there aren't.  Not in Europe, much less in the US where labor laws are waaayy less developed.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: January 05, 2015, 10:04:03 am »

gainst employers firing you (the real risk for most demonstrations, methinks) there are the courts (there are laws against that type of thing, right?)

No there aren't.  Not in Europe, much less in the US where labor laws are waaayy less developed.

In Belgium that's illegal but hard to sue (you have to prove the fact that the termination wasn't used for its intended purpose) if you're an employee but blatantly illegal if you're a manual worker and easy to prove. A freelance may be in more trouble.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: January 05, 2015, 10:50:17 am »

I dont know the details of other parts of the EU, but here in Spain you can fire someone with no reason at all. Sure, it's ruled as improcedent and you have to pay an extra penalty, but it's not very expensive, either. It's so standard that there's even a mechanism from employers to "improcedently" fire someone and pay the penalty directly, without going to court.  The only time this cannot be done to you  is if you're your co-workers' trade union representative (also, it's virtually impossible in the public sector, but that's another can of worms)

The way I hear it, inthe rest of Europe for the most part laws are even laxer in regards to job termination, but I don't know the details.

On the other hand, I've also heard that labor inspections are more frequent and more serious, so there's likely less bullshit with unpaid extra work hours, so there's that.....
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 759