Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247153 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11055 on: December 13, 2015, 05:25:34 pm »

I'm not talking about asking them to inform on their friends. I'm talking about finding some way to make them see their co-workers as enemies.
That... was pretty much the intention of those programs: Creating an atmosphere of mistrust, where everyone is a possible snitch - and where the only way out is snitching yourself.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: December 13, 2015, 05:48:34 pm »

I'm not talking about asking them to inform on their friends. I'm talking about finding some way to make them see their co-workers as enemies.
That... was pretty much the intention of those programs: Creating an atmosphere of mistrust, where everyone is a possible snitch - and where the only way out is snitching yourself.
Intense societal propaganda is better and more profitable.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: December 13, 2015, 06:08:36 pm »

so you're talking about making sure nobody can like their coworkers?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: December 13, 2015, 09:05:55 pm »

I feel like it's far better to just have them hold their friends accountable.

Don't set up a system that encourages secrecy and hiding. Set up a system that encourages being open. If the cop admits 'yeah, I fucked up', he doesn't get as harsh of a penalty, especially if he comes out about it right away. If it continues happening, yeah, the penalties get harsher; people who are gonna abuse their power can't be allowed to keep it.

But still. Open atmosphere, not snitching one.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: December 14, 2015, 05:16:44 am »

Police cameras reduce a lot of malpractice, so further roll out of these should help things.

Another thing that could be done is bonus pay linked to a lack of public complaints that need to be dealt with. Processing complaints and compensation is a huge cost for the city, so it makes sense to link police bonuses to a clean record. The cops who end up killing someone often have a bad record of complaints but the rest of the station covers up for them. If it's costing every cop in the precinct actual money, then they'd be much more inclined to reprimand or kick out the guys who fuck up the most. Some sort of internal will and motivation to clean up the act is required, and linking bonus pay to the correct stimulus can help achieve this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:22:39 am by Reelya »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: December 14, 2015, 12:07:40 pm »

Cameras also reduce the number of problems that officers report with the people they're handling, so it's a win-win.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11061 on: December 14, 2015, 05:53:43 pm »

They also make for whacky liveleak videos to shitpost about

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: December 14, 2015, 06:25:44 pm »

Sometimes I almost regret that WorldStar didn't overtake Liveleak.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: December 18, 2015, 04:01:46 pm »

Even the avatars expire eventually.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: December 18, 2015, 04:07:10 pm »

God bless the Ivy Leagues.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/12/16/placements-race-discussions-released/?utm_source=thecrimson&utm_medium=web_primary&utm_campaign=recommend_sidebar 

Lord knows they're not blessed overmuch with their own common sense these days.
Nice, though all I can think when I read the source article is "Wow that dining room looks a lot nicer than the one at my college." :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: December 18, 2015, 04:20:53 pm »

I'm more than a little worried that I'm going to encounter a college activist when I'm a student, then I'll start acting like Sgt Strife again and tear into them. Worried and looking forward to a little, I suppose
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: December 18, 2015, 04:42:36 pm »

If there's any example of the vocal minority, it's college activists painting the picture of what college students are like. It's certainly not impossible, but I haven't encountered a lot of it. I'm even friends with a decent number of people who are essentially SJW-lites, and while they don't make for great dissent they're certainly not as...rabid, as some of the activists you'll see on the news.

I don't suppose you own one of those kill hats drill instructors wear?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: December 18, 2015, 04:53:45 pm »

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, once again we see the affluenza guy.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/affluenza-teen-head-start-avoiding-authorities/story?id=35822035
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/warrant-issued-arrest-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-article-1.2467358
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/15/affluenza-teen-serving-probation-for-killing-4-people-in-crash-sought-for.html

Well, for those who don't remember, this spoiled rotten brat in Texas got shitfaced drunk/high and mowed down four people in a heck of an underage drunk driving pedestrian killing spree carried out in a very nice pickup truck. It was nice, until the guy wrecked it into those soon to be four dead people and other wounded ones.

The prosecutor's office moved for 20 years on account of the dead bodies you see. From there he actually said he was given so many privileges that he couldn't tell right from wrong (spoiled rotten). He ended up without a day in jail and settling civil lawsuits against him  and 10 years probation/house arrest. Wait, wait, house arrest, in a mansion.... That's right, all he had to do was stay put in a 4000+ square foot luxury home and he couldn't manage that. He also is shown on tape seemingly playing beer pong..... He hasn't paid his PO a visit in a while and may have fled ....

Am I missing something here or is even Fox News on this little jerk's case? Of course they're playing the "those damn kids" card, but we all know why "affluenza" is a problem and it's not youth.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: December 18, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »

Heh, I was half-way to posting that m'self. Latest I've been hearing is the guy's being speculated to have fled the country. Fucked up all around, it is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: December 18, 2015, 05:06:14 pm »

[REDACTED]

Isn't being unable to tell right from wrong the definition of being criminally insane? The problem isn't that he got off without any jail time with that excuse, it's that he wasn't committed to the looney bin either.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:59:52 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 759