Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 108861 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2012, 01:44:39 am »

Final version is out. No changes from fix12, so no need to update unless you really have to see the word "final" as the version number ;)

You can read about it here.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #316 on: December 16, 2012, 08:47:50 am »

Roguelike of the Year voting has begun, so if you enjoyed Cogmind this year, consider throwing in your vote so that others can learn about the game, too! (FYI, you can vote for as many games as you like.)

Though without dev support there isn't any Cogmind discussion anymore, it was definitely a good time back in the day (feels like an eternity rather than only six months ago...). The game still gets new downloads every day, and even a couple players have taken the time to send in scores even though it was a lot more fun during the tournament ;p
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 16, 2012, 04:21:36 pm »

Voted for this and others (yes, I voted for DF also)!

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #318 on: December 16, 2012, 07:53:57 pm »

Thanks! And yeah, for anyone who doesn't know yet, DF is on the list, too!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 17, 2012, 06:18:34 am »

It's already been eight months? o_0

Threw a vote in.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:50 am »

Threw a vote in.

Damn guy, the contents of that spoiler are vicious. :I

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #321 on: December 28, 2012, 07:35:24 am »

Threw a vote in.
Thanks Dariush, EuchreJack, and others! The poll is almost over and it looks as if Cogmind will easily be the highest-voted 7DRL release of the year! Of course, I did run a tournament and the game had quite a following during post-7DRL development, so it's not that much a surprise, but hey, it's nice anyway. Makes me want to go back and work on it as a proper roguelike, but X@COM got more votes ;p

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »

Just started playing this again, and having a great time. 

I was planning on trying to go stealth, but I found a EMP Blaster (grenade launcher) and got an experimental Heavy Ion Engine off of a transport on the second level.  The thing was great, blows away anything I can see, and if I cant see them I can just shoot near a corner where I think they might be.  I got a little cocky on the fourth level after I found some armor, and now I dont have as many of my premium toys.  Might have to start searching for those stealth components after all.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 02, 2013, 09:48:42 pm »

I've wasted the last couple of days on this game and it makes me so sad knowing the development stopped so quickly. Probably the most underrated roguelike.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #324 on: June 27, 2013, 06:11:23 pm »

Happy to hear that people are still picking it up and enjoying it.

Over the past few weeks I've been seriously considering reviving this project, albeit
1) re-written from scratch (so it'll take a little while to get off the ground again)
2) with new content including gameplay elements, sound effects and small yet professional sprites
3) as a commercial project (full version no longer free!)

I can't promise it will happen with absolute certainty yet because life is a bit bumpy right now, but hopefully when the bumping stops I'll be in a position to get this rolling.

I've already got a long list of things to put in, or consider, but need to distill it for those that will keep the relatively tight gameplay found in the original. The list already includes everything previously mentioned in this thread. General ideas will be posted soon.

What do you think? I wonder if there's enough support out there to make this a successful game... Not that I'd be looking to make huge amounts of money on it--just enough to cover costs and I'd be happy, though some profits that could be put towards additional future projects would be nice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 27, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »

I could never make progress.  As much as I like these sort of things, the inability to repair items means that the best laid plans WILL fail and it becomes entirely to the luck of what you pick up in the next few minutes.  So as much as I wanted to get into some good gear and spec out a decent build, I quickly realized that making a build was impossible and the only way to do anything was to make a mad dash to the exit.

Very fun game, it's got a SOLID engine (particularly like the terrain sensor function!) but as far as roguelikes go, it's a bit 'fast paced' and I personally can't get into it much...  Then again I never tried looking at mods so *shrug*.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 27, 2013, 06:34:33 pm »

I remember playing this, though not much about it right now. I'll probably go get it again to be more detailed later, but for now your plan sounds sorta like the announcement I'd seen earlier related to Paradox and an improved edition of Teleglitch. Not a bad thing to compare it to, hopefully. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 27, 2013, 08:27:18 pm »

My personal, selfish opinion is that you should never work on any game except X@Com (Six Echo).

For a more balanced opinion, I'm not sure how well it would sell. Games like these seem like they sell better on the mobile market.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 28, 2013, 02:25:53 am »

I could never make progress.  As much as I like these sort of things, the inability to repair items means that the best laid plans WILL fail and it becomes entirely to the luck of what you pick up in the next few minutes.  So as much as I wanted to get into some good gear and spec out a decent build, I quickly realized that making a build was impossible and the only way to do anything was to make a mad dash to the exit.
For sure in the early/middle levels, IF you can stand the time it takes, it's pretty viable to play very conservatively and completely/near-completely clear levels, then go around gathering  the best of the stuff into 4 of the big backpacks before going down a level.  (Lots of armor, some of the better short range weapons, a couple engines, and some spare legs/wheels/wings are sure nice) Then try to get to an edge or corner or slightly defendable area, drop most of the spares and backpacks and get into combat configuration.  Then make brief thrusts out of the area, knowing you have a nice stockpile to fall back on if you have to.

Eventually I had trouble with this because of area-damage weapons blowing up my precious stash, although at least some of the problem was me not being careful *enough* using the longest range sensors to scout enemies, not using optimum configs to take 'em out fastest,  and not retreating quick enough when in trouble.  At some point it does seem necessary to switch to speeding through, but I think with careful play that would be only the last 3-4 levels.  And yea you do have to be ready to switch to other configs - an Uberconfig is fun while it lasts, but parts WILL get shot up and you're in trouble if you're not ready with a plan B.

The downside is it takes excruciatingly long, once I get back in the swing I will probably limit it to the middle levels, only picking up "enough" spares before going down on the easier levels...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 28, 2013, 03:24:06 am »

This game is damn lovely, fun to play and aesthetically pleasing, both from video (duh) and sound perspective.
One thing, though - WHERE THE HELL CAN I SEE THE DAMN CONTROLS?

I'm kinda struggling, but the mouse support is a neat thing to have.
Also, killing excavators is a dickish thing to do, but damn I love mining!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24