Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 42942 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #315 on: April 20, 2012, 10:37:48 pm »

Fix12 done. It was supposed to be the final version, but I ended up making too many modifications, so this is yet another final candidate. The next version is probably final...

* FIX: Inventory item integrity properly colored in Tactical HUD mode
* FIX: Hauler payload only put inside Hauler (was also dropping a stack on the ground, oops)
* FIX: Examine/look mode only toggled in keyboard mode (when cursor hidden), always active otherwise
* FIX: Cursor position on map always highlighted while cursor visible
* FIX: Various cursor-related errors
* MOD: Mouse movement fully enabled (left-click a direction to move that way even when enemies present)
* MOD: Center map on position switched to Shift-LMB
* MOD: Spacebar prioritizes closing of windows over message control
* NEW: Get/Fast Attach commands for mouse (LMB/Ctrl-LMB on Cogmind's position)
* NEW: Wait command for mouse (use Wheel in map window to pass turns)
* NEW: Close status/info windows with RMB
* NEW: Path visualization (hold ctrl-shift)
* NEW: Scan window shows more item details
* NEW: Finished Advanced Player's Guide (manual2.txt)
* NEW: Sprite support for robot scan signals
* NEW: Robots can start corrupted (for modders, entities.xt)
* NEW: Greatly expanded moddability (see modding/modding.txt)

This version could also be known as the "mouse junkie's update", since there are a lot more commands, including movement and picking up, which are possible with the mouse. Mouse/keyboard modes are slightly more distinct now (mostly in how look mode works), so make sure you choose the one you want with F2. (Keyboard mode is off by default, because I assume those users will be a bit more savvy about turning it on...)

I suffered through relying almost solely on the mouse for input during a couple of long test games, and unfortunately still haven't come across any crashes. It would be immensely helpful if someone who uses the mouse a lot could give me specific instructions on how to reliably cause a crash, so I can fix it for the final version. (They seem fairly rare, especially once you know the proper commands, so the problem probably has something to do with an accidental press or some non-standard input behavior.)

Aoi (and other modders?) can also now change much more about the game, as fix12 includes methods for modifying previously unexposed game mechanics.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 20, 2012, 11:08:07 pm »

Aoi (and other modders?) can also now change much more about the game, as fix12 includes methods for modifying previously unexposed game mechanics.

Squee~.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2012, 01:44:39 am »

Final version is out. No changes from fix12, so no need to update unless you really have to see the word "final" as the version number ;)

You can read about it here.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #318 on: December 16, 2012, 08:47:50 am »

Roguelike of the Year voting has begun, so if you enjoyed Cogmind this year, consider throwing in your vote so that others can learn about the game, too! (FYI, you can vote for as many games as you like.)

Though without dev support there isn't any Cogmind discussion anymore, it was definitely a good time back in the day (feels like an eternity rather than only six months ago...). The game still gets new downloads every day, and even a couple players have taken the time to send in scores even though it was a lot more fun during the tournament ;p

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 16, 2012, 04:21:36 pm »

Voted for this and others (yes, I voted for DF also)!
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #320 on: December 16, 2012, 07:53:57 pm »

Thanks! And yeah, for anyone who doesn't know yet, DF is on the list, too!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 17, 2012, 06:18:34 am »

It's already been eight months? o_0

Threw a vote in.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:50 am »

Threw a vote in.

Damn guy, the contents of that spoiler are vicious. :I

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #323 on: December 28, 2012, 07:35:24 am »

Threw a vote in.
Thanks Dariush, EuchreJack, and others! The poll is almost over and it looks as if Cogmind will easily be the highest-voted 7DRL release of the year! Of course, I did run a tournament and the game had quite a following during post-7DRL development, so it's not that much a surprise, but hey, it's nice anyway. Makes me want to go back and work on it as a proper roguelike, but X@COM got more votes ;p

greatorder

• Bay Watcher
  • [FAPPING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2012, 05:20:41 pm »

Voted for cataclysm, cogmind, DF and prospector RL.

I'd have also gone for FTL, but I don't really consider it a roguelike, myself.
My sigtext!

Unless you plan on playing something with me, don't friend me on Steam. I try to keep the list as small as possible and only with people I know IRL or want to play a game.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 02, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »

Just started playing this again, and having a great time. 

I was planning on trying to go stealth, but I found a EMP Blaster (grenade launcher) and got an experimental Heavy Ion Engine off of a transport on the second level.  The thing was great, blows away anything I can see, and if I cant see them I can just shoot near a corner where I think they might be.  I got a little cocky on the fourth level after I found some armor, and now I dont have as many of my premium toys.  Might have to start searching for those stealth components after all.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 02, 2013, 09:48:42 pm »

I've wasted the last couple of days on this game and it makes me so sad knowing the development stopped so quickly. Probably the most underrated roguelike.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #327 on: June 27, 2013, 06:11:23 pm »

Happy to hear that people are still picking it up and enjoying it.

Over the past few weeks I've been seriously considering reviving this project, albeit
1) re-written from scratch (so it'll take a little while to get off the ground again)
2) with new content including gameplay elements, sound effects and small yet professional sprites
3) as a commercial project (full version no longer free!)

I can't promise it will happen with absolute certainty yet because life is a bit bumpy right now, but hopefully when the bumping stops I'll be in a position to get this rolling.

I've already got a long list of things to put in, or consider, but need to distill it for those that will keep the relatively tight gameplay found in the original. The list already includes everything previously mentioned in this thread. General ideas will be posted soon.

What do you think? I wonder if there's enough support out there to make this a successful game... Not that I'd be looking to make huge amounts of money on it--just enough to cover costs and I'd be happy, though some profits that could be put towards additional future projects would be nice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 27, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »

I could never make progress.  As much as I like these sort of things, the inability to repair items means that the best laid plans WILL fail and it becomes entirely to the luck of what you pick up in the next few minutes.  So as much as I wanted to get into some good gear and spec out a decent build, I quickly realized that making a build was impossible and the only way to do anything was to make a mad dash to the exit.

Very fun game, it's got a SOLID engine (particularly like the terrain sensor function!) but as far as roguelikes go, it's a bit 'fast paced' and I personally can't get into it much...  Then again I never tried looking at mods so *shrug*.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 27, 2013, 06:34:33 pm »

I remember playing this, though not much about it right now. I'll probably go get it again to be more detailed later, but for now your plan sounds sorta like the announcement I'd seen earlier related to Paradox and an improved edition of Teleglitch. Not a bad thing to compare it to, hopefully. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25