Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 108853 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:59 am »

Heh, glad you like the signature.  Gotta show off all my achievements!

Just giving Cogmind 5 matter per item unequip should be a simple and effective method to assist with matter shortages.  One question, does "getting item blown off" count as an unequip?  If not, that should probably give some small amount of matter, maybe 1 or 2, as it is the scenario when all my stuff gets blown off and no matter is stored that leads to "game over".

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2012, 06:44:53 am »

A small bug (or oversight) found in fix10.

If you press Enter on evolution screen while not upgrading anything, it simply exits to playscreen doing nothing. Actually in first playthrough I lost 2 evolution upgrades to this bug (and was mauled by bots soon afterwards), thinking that I must "earn" upgrades , through selecting what I need to upgrade in each evolution (and upgrade slot unlocks from at least second or third point invested into each slot type).

So, I propose a warning about undistributed evolution points while pressing Enter on evolution screen.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2012, 08:32:51 am »

Just giving Cogmind 5 matter per item unequip should be a simple and effective method to assist with matter shortages.  One question, does "getting item blown off" count as an unequip?  If not, that should probably give some small amount of matter, maybe 1 or 2, as it is the scenario when all my stuff gets blown off and no matter is stored that leads to "game over".
Actually, that's the only scenario where I was thinking to give matter--not for unequipping, but only when you get something blown off. Since you are more likely to be able to recover/recycle matter when there's a lot more debris. Just taking something off would give you nothing back.

A small bug (or oversight) found in fix10.

If you press Enter on evolution screen while not upgrading anything, it simply exits to playscreen doing nothing. Actually in first playthrough I lost 2 evolution upgrades to this bug (and was mauled by bots soon afterwards), thinking that I must "earn" upgrades , through selecting what I need to upgrade in each evolution (and upgrade slot unlocks from at least second or third point invested into each slot type).
Hm, that's weird. I could've sworn I had prevented that from the very first version (since the confirm button doesn't even appear until you have chosen all the upgrades). I thought pressing Enter wouldn't allow you to go onward until then, either. I'll look into it and it'll definitely be fixed in the next version. Thanks for the report!

EDIT: I just looked at the code, and sure enough I did code that check, but I forgot to put brackets around the if-statement contents, so it was allowing the window to close anyway... Sheesh. Fixed for fix11. Coding a game in 7 days sucks =P
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:38:24 am by Kyzrati »
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #288 on: April 14, 2012, 06:31:04 am »

Fix11 is done, but I can't upload it yet since the Cogmind server is down, so I was thinking of what else I could add.

Probably the most interesting and meaningful quick change on my list is giving a flying Cogmind the ability to push past blocking robots. Anyone have any opinions? It'll probably make it a lot easier to escape as a fast flier. Doesn't seem very imbalancing--you wouldn't be able to score as many points that way, anyway.

I'm going to add it now for testing and try to fly my way to the end...

EDIT1: Sheesh, this is crazy... moving at 1428% speed now... that's more than 14 cells/turn! I'm moving so fast these guys can't even see me (entering and leaving their FOV before they have a chance to update their visual sensors).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I'm playing with sprites on for testing.)

Just have to make sure to rest up engines in hiding/safety, then blast out past everyone. It's a little easier now that you're allowed to fly over robots. Also added option to auto-wait when moving on insufficient energy. (This Gravity Neutralizing Apparatus is absolutely essential, too.)

EDIT2: I died in Research. Dangerous to round corners without sensors -> Come face to face with a couple Behemoths and... goodbye engines. I think I'll go back to being a tank again ::)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:18:48 am by Kyzrati »
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #289 on: April 14, 2012, 09:14:22 am »

Fix11 is available. It's a pretty big one:

* FIX: Doors outside FOV always shown as closed
* FIX: Pressing Enter has no effect during evolution until all new slots are chosen
* FIX: Better missing config file handling
* MOD: Single-space map shifting no longer allowed via vi-keys (overlapped with part detachment--use Shift mod to jump instead)
* MOD: Suicide/restart moved to Alt-F10 (to avoid accidents)
* NEW: Cogmind automatically recycles 5 matter per destroyed part (when he has no better recycling utility)
* NEW: While flying, Cogmind can rush past blocking robots
* NEW: Large fonts/resolution (see manual2.txt)
* NEW: Sprite mode (F3, see manual2.txt for details)
* NEW: Autopathing (F4)
* NEW: Autowaiting (F5)
* NEW: Reswapping (Shift-Alt-r)
* NEW: Undo drop (Shift-Alt-d)
* NEW: HUD flashes heat line as overheating becomes more serious
* NEW: More stats stored in record sheet (favorite parts, kill streaks, play time, inventory use)
* NEW: Toggle to force cursor centering on move (Ctrl-F4) (always centers cursor on Cogmind during movement to ensure the scan window shows the item at his current position--has no effect while cursor is hidden, in which case the scan window always works this way by default)
* NEW: Modding guide (modding.txt)

As stated on the blog, this is the final candidate. The next version will probably be the last.

For those who want to add weapon sounds or make your own sprites, read modding.txt. There's also supplementary information in there for anyone who would like to make some kind of online parts database for everyone to reference.

For anyone who still plans to send in scores, note that while old versions are still accepted, you probably want to upgrade to fix11 since it is ever-so-slightly easier (also less frustrating) with the free recycle benefit.

Elmzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Planetoid 3 Community
« Reply #290 on: April 14, 2012, 09:39:54 am »

This fix looks quite amazing, downloading now :D

There's also supplementary information in there for anyone who would like to make some kind of online parts database for everyone to reference.

I'm definitely interested in doing this. I could host it off another Subdomain of my site, if that's good with you.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 14, 2012, 06:19:26 pm »

I dumped it into Excel for people who prefer working in data tables that way. You SHOULD be able to dump it back out as a tab-deliminated file, but I haven't actually tested it yet due to various reasons on my end.

I also added in some additional notes as to what labels mean, if I didn't find them intuitive enough. Also, I had to tweak the descriptions of things slightly such that exporting to tab-deliminated didn't cause things to kerplode.

Hrm. Can't upload files here. Well-- dumped it to GDocs. Hope nothing broke in the process. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsKtQkfz6x48dEQyZ2g5VVlPWEhzaTAwaGRFYTRfN3c
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:01:19 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #292 on: April 14, 2012, 08:09:49 pm »

I dumped it into Excel for people who prefer working in data tables that way. You SHOULD be able to dump it back out as a tab-deliminated file, but I haven't actually tested it yet due to various reasons on my end.

I also added in some additional notes as to what labels mean, if I didn't find them intuitive enough. Also, I had to tweak the descriptions of things slightly such that exporting to tab-deliminated didn't cause things to kerplode.

Hrm. Can't upload files here. Well-- dumped it to GDocs. Hope nothing broke in the process. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsKtQkfz6x48dEQyZ2g5VVlPWEhzaTAwaGRFYTRfN3c
Totally thanks for doing this Aoi. Looks like you eventually got it working; hopefully Elmzran or someone else will make good use of your work.

If you're done making changes, I can also host the Excel file on my site.

There's also supplementary information in there for anyone who would like to make some kind of online parts database for everyone to reference.
I'm definitely interested in doing this. I could host it off another Subdomain of my site, if that's good with you.
Host it anywhere you like! I'll definitely put a link to it on the Cogmind site.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 14, 2012, 08:24:05 pm »

The problem is that, ultimately, there's no easy way of having Excel export to tab-deliminated with double quotes... unless the cell in question has a comma.

Every equipment description, except for the mining laser and prototypes had a comma, so it took me a bit to figure out what was going on... then I tried a few fixes. Ultimately culminating in just editing the description so there's now a comma in it.

Any thoughts about giving a way to change what the Cogmind starts with, either directly or what the junkyard spawns?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 14, 2012, 08:32:40 pm »

I think customized descriptions for the parts would also be nice, There's a lot of wasted space in the item description screen devoted to very basic information about game mechanics.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #295 on: April 14, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »

The problem is that, ultimately, there's no easy way of having Excel export to tab-deliminated with double quotes... unless the cell in question has a comma.

Every equipment description, except for the mining laser and prototypes had a comma, so it took me a bit to figure out what was going on... then I tried a few fixes. Ultimately culminating in just editing the description so there's now a comma in it.
Sheesh, how annoying...

Any thoughts about giving a way to change what the Cogmind starts with, either directly or what the junkyard spawns?
Scrapyard spawns are controlled internally, so no luck there, but it's pretty easy to change
entities.xt to modify what Cogmind starts with. In fact, if you look at the file I even left in (commented out) some of the builds I was using to test/debug with. (Some are ridiculously powerful, or don't make much sense, but I was just testing specific features.) There should be only one non-commented Cogmind entry in entities.xt, and it should be the first (non-commented) entry.

You can even add new robots (to existing classes) in entities.xt and they will be automatically placed by the game based on their class and level. (Threat, 1~5, determines their color only.)

Adding new items to items.xt is also allowed, and they'll be automatically randomly placed by the game.

I think customized descriptions for the parts would also be nice, There's a lot of wasted space in the item description screen devoted to very basic information about game mechanics.
Yeah, I would normally have done custom descriptions, but I only had 7 days, and there are 400 items... At 1 minute per item description (optimistic), that would've taken me over 6 hours. But I figured something was better than nothing, so I decided to throw in at least a basic description. I'll do real descriptions if I want to put out a non-7DRL version some day.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:42:40 pm by Kyzrati »

Elmzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Planetoid 3 Community
« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2012, 08:47:01 pm »

Host it anywhere you like! I'll definitely put a link to it on the Cogmind site.

Sounds great! I've started work today. A few life interruptions prevented me from getting as much done as I want, but It's coming along. It'll be an HTML page using some Javascript to make the tables sortable. Basically, the main page will be a large table, containing all the items, but only a few stats for each. One can then click on an item to see its full stats on another page. There will also be an additional page that will be one massive table; pretty much the items.xt / that excel document put in a nice, easily readable and sortable table form.

I'll have it done, or at least quite a bit of it done later tomorrow.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2012, 09:48:45 pm »

So, any update on how to run it on wine? I've  not had any success with it so far :/
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2012, 10:09:46 pm »

So, any update on how to run it on wine? I've  not had any success with it so far :/
I've got confirmation that it works under Wine as described. Did you by any chance accidentally use "unrar e" to unpack the game? "unrar x" would be the proper command.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 14, 2012, 10:54:26 pm »

I just unrared it from nautilus

I got an "Unhandled exception: unimplemented function msvcp100.dll.?_Orphan_all@_Container_base0@std@@QAEXXZ called in 32-bit code (0x7b83bc32).
Register dump:" error.

However, I DO have that file in wine system 32...

Gah, maybe using Ubuntu's wine repositories in debian wasn't such a bright idea. But so far it had kind of worked...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:00:48 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24