Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Buzzards!!! *Shakes fist at sky*  (Read 31621 times)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzards!!! *Shakes fist at sky*
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:46 pm »

I was under the impression that a simple iron spear ought to be able to penetrate the armouriest of armours, unless you have goblins running around in candy.

Can you truly sacrifice dwarven pride for a marginally shinier spear? Think of poor Urist McNoBooze, settling in a new place after a long, sober journey from the mountainhomes, and having to dip his hands, which have been hard at work digging out your fortress, into the murky, stagnant, mosquito infested ponds of your embark. Think of the single tear dripping down his dirt covered cheeks as he puts his lips to the foul smelling liquid and drinks it in, cursing the stars all the while. Centuries of dwarven pride, of a civilizations history of conquest and struggle against adversity... all utterly crushed in that one moment.

Brew, brew for victory!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »

I don't care.  Let the bastards feast on bugs and stagnant water for three seasons.  Their spears shine bright red, tempered with the frequent wash of fresh blood and the walls raise higher.  Comfort?  Comfort is for the mountainhomes!  Those who would complain of the working conditions can go back to the comfortable homeland or can stand in front of the spears.

We're not here to make anyone happy.  We're here to strike the earth.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:37:03 pm »

They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Oh, and the buggers steal. If you don't build an air defense system then they'll swoop down into your surface fortresses and run away with items. They also like to run off with masterwork bolts still stuck in them.
This illustrates my last 6 embarks perfectly (or at least my last 6 non zombie plagued ones)
Sigged; also I've been quickly creating a few wooden crossbows and stacks of wooden bolts and putting up a tower on each corner of my initial stockade, wooden bolts + untrained peasant work but you need a damn lot of them.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:39:31 pm »

This thread would be utterly repugnant to vegetarians because we've filled it with so much HAM.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »

That really is a cool story bro (next time since you embarked with axe wielding maniacs, send them after the wild life ASAP)... also dogs help this (wildlife doesn't like dogs). But its how stuff "could go down" so ya that is why I love DF )

Also that gives me a great idea.... all migrants live out in the open with minimal happy thoughts, food, and a steady stream of released prisoners to harden them to the realities of fortress life. Those that survive, don't go mad from being naked, and perpetually tormented by rain, insects and dirt, get let in =)
I voted for BANANA!

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:02 am »

have the residents drop spears and shields down on the migrant swarms,  anyone who gets enough kills to earn a name is admitted entry.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 01:21:17 am »

We're not here to make anyone happy.  We're here to strike the earth.

Sigged. This is the unofficial motto of DF, I guess  :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 01:40:50 am »

I was under the impression that a simple iron spear ought to be able to penetrate the armouriest of armours, unless you have goblins running around in candy.

Yes and no. Better materials cause more severe wounds and have a higher chance of going through armor.

Were Girlinhat normal, I would advise her to just use wooden crossbows for economical and quick animal genocide. However, something tells me it's personal with her(?) and the wildlife.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 02:10:58 am »

who didn't have personal issues with wildlife at least once?
that's why i have 10 hunters always active just in case and woodcutters/gatherers with xbows

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 02:13:51 am »

who didn't have personal issues with wildlife at least once?
that's why i have 10 hunters always active just in case and woodcutters/gatherers with xbows

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 04:11:53 am »

I've not seen a single buzzard in DF2012, now it's all keas stealing shit. Or random insect men.

Even though I embark on partly desertic maps all the time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:20:29 am by Naryar »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:21 am »

Buzzards? You poor fool... Wait till you see those goddamn bats keas!
*does his best William Shatner impersonation* "KEAAAAAAAA!"
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 05:37:20 am »

Oh gods, my current embark has Buzzards AND Keas, they started stealing all my stuff. Marksdwarves were recruited before axedwarves. In fact im having a problem keeping up with bolt production, the only metal I seem to have is a lot of gold. I guess i'll be buying my iron and steel ( or wait for the goblinite to turn up).

Xebeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:09 am »

I've been plagged with Buzzards and Vultures which both steal items. Then 3 necromancers at once...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 08:45:49 am »

Oh gods, my current embark has Buzzards AND Keas, they started stealing all my stuff. Marksdwarves were recruited before axedwarves. In fact im having a problem keeping up with bolt production, the only metal I seem to have is a lot of gold. I guess i'll be buying my iron and steel ( or wait for the goblinite to turn up).
If im right gold = heavy and heavy = awesome for bolts.
Atm, weight is a bit overcalculated in bolts, so i recommend that you use depleted uranium silver for your bolts.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5