Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 722922 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #615 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07:03 am »

Pardon my request, but I might actually take on making another airship in DF eventually (for real, this time); now that I got back into habitually playing DF again, and learned/developed a few new tricks I can use to make a bigger and more badass ship (mostly stuff to ensure I can keep at it, and speed up production, and ease up fortress management; while keeping it secure enough as I produce it).

Would it be too much trouble for anyone to make an alternative windmill and waterwheel graphics set to render them looking like propeller blades? And if possible, also make a backwards-compatible version (unless it uses the same image between versions) for the original Bloodifst. Unfortunately, I lack the pixel-art and isometric talent you guys have, to do it myself. I can wait; I don't need/want it immediately, so time's not a factor.

Everything else is looking great, BTW.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:08:56 am by Itnetlolor »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:38 am »

I can do it, but it'd be 3d rendered, not pixel art.

If you're okay with that, then sure.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #617 on: February 12, 2013, 11:17:31 am »

I can do it, but it'd be 3d rendered, not pixel art.

If you're okay with that, then sure.
That can work too.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:15 am »

Do you have an idea how you want them to look?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #619 on: February 12, 2013, 11:40:52 am »

I suppose a 3-point or 5-point propeller that looks something like the V-22 Osprey's would work well. Especially also considering the 2-frame limitations in the rendering. It also would look badass watching a dwarf dodge all those blades when doing maintainence.

Plus, with being a 5-point propeller blade, especially for the forward-thrust (waterwheel), I can also get away with making them look like a turbine system when stacking waterwheels horizontally, if I intend to (which can also work for anyone making dams with turbine power systems). If you feel fewer blades (or thicker-looking blades) would look better, then that can work as well.

I think having an easily-hidden endcap (looks normal at the end, or on it's own; but connected when linked) for them can also be something to consider, in case we want to stack the props, make them also look like they are fitted together with how the color blends together (a dull shade could work for pulling off the effect).

Spoiler: Reference pics (click to show/hide)

EDIT:

I hope they help.

EDIT EDIT:
I don't think it would be too hard to edit the sprite sheet to have one and the other (prop waterwheels and regular windmill; or vice-versa), so don't worry about making alternation versions. It should be as easy as a copy-paste edit for those that want one, over the other.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:03:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 12, 2013, 11:53:05 am »

I suppose a 3-point or 5-point propeller that looks something like the V-22 Osprey's would work well. Especially also considering the 6-frame limitations in the rendering.

Fixed that for you. Also I might remove that limitation, depending.

As for props, I was originally thinking something like this, but I can do anything.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #621 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:47 am »

I suppose a 3-point or 5-point propeller that looks something like the V-22 Osprey's would work well. Especially also considering the 6-frame limitations in the rendering.
Fixed that for you. Also I might remove that limitation, depending.

As for props, I was originally thinking something like this, but I can do anything.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Didn't realize you could edit the frame amounts, and that it was 6 frames, while at it. Cool. It was hard to tell from looking at the sprite sheet itself.

EDIT:
Looking at the image again, it looks more like a windmill for catching wind, rather than a propeller blade that produces thrust. Unless you meant style of blade to render; then it does look less modern, and more to the theme of the times/era DF would be taking place.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:08:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 12, 2013, 11:58:26 am »

right now stonesense does 6 frames, though the mechanics only use two because it's a lot to draw.

Since I'm doing 3d rendering, number of frames isn't an issue.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #623 on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »

Actually, if it's possible, 8 frames in general would be much more preferable than 6, for the sheer reason that animation tends toward multiples of 2. (2 being the two main states of the animation, the rest functioning as inbetween states. 8 is the avarage amount for a smooth walkcycle for example) only thing to think of is that Beefmo somehow managed to get 6 frame animation working, and I'm not sure we'd want to break compatability with that.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 12, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »

If I were to do more animation frames, it wouldn't be a locked number, it'd be variable, but would not be able to re-use frames.

right now, you just specify which frames of a 6 frame cycle a sprite is used for. What I would do is to just specify a number of frames in a row to use, and it'll use that.

Spoiler: Test (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:22:09 pm by Japa »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #625 on: February 12, 2013, 02:31:34 pm »

That actually looks pretty good. I can work with that. Looks like with enough horsepower behind it, it could push something relatively massive. Not to mention, it could still operate as a waterwheel as well, if in a turbine configuration (good for modern-builds of waterwheel powerplants; like something I would have made in the Fallout/Wasteland mod).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:35:28 pm by Itnetlolor »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 12, 2013, 03:15:17 pm »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #627 on: February 12, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob question:
« Reply #628 on: February 16, 2013, 06:27:07 pm »

Where can I find the manual that lists all the commands for Stonesense and what they mean?  There are 308 pages in the old thread and (as of today) 42 pages in this new thread.  The DFhack thread refers to a command list that lists Stonesense, then a link right back here.  So where the hell do I find out how to use this excellent utility? It looks really nice - I have it enabled from the Masterwork Mod.

What I'd really like to know is:
A) In Fort mode, how do you get the overhead view of the entire fortress (like is shown in a few of the images)?
B) How do you "spin" the view so that surfaces hidden "behind" the current view can be seen?
C) In Adventure mode, how do you get the view to recenter on the adventurer instead of staying in one view/one level without hand-scrolling?
D) Does anyone know of a program that uses this one to create a map of in-game areas like Human towns?  (It's something I was thinking of doing by hand using Sketchup, but why reinvent the wheel? (Again)

My current OS is Windows 7, if that has any bearing on the commands used.

If there is a manual or something available, I'd suggest sticking it under a spoiler in the introduction post or at least leaving a link to wherever it actually is. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 16, 2013, 10:08:07 pm »

@timeless

The listing of commands should be in the stonesense/readme.txt but I can list specifically what you've asked here:

A) <ctrl+F5> takes a full-fort screenshot, but I'm not 100% certain if that's working in the current release version of dfhack (r2) though I can verify that the upcoming version (r3) it will be working.  It tends to use a lot of video memory so save your fort before you do this (for convenience, dfhack has a "quicksave" feature) because it can cause crashes sometimes (though it tries to detect them).
B) <enter>
C) <f> should put you back on follow mode
D) You can use the <ctrl+F5> command in human towns, and it will load a pretty big section into the screenshot, but it won't be able to load the entire town at once (because DF doesn't).  Once again remember that this can cause instability. 

Also, one of the upcoming features in stonesense is configurable keybinds, so look forward to that in the next dfhack release. 
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 85