Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 722930 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Stonesense: New release!
« Reply #720 on: July 06, 2013, 02:57:17 pm »

This was the baking thing I was talking about.
The idea would be that if we're gonna need fancy lighting effects, we might be needing normal maps, and it might be an idea to be ahead of that art-evolution, while profiting from it to make renders for the regular blocks.

/will probably set up a git thingy for this because I just saved over one of my difusemaps TT_TT
EDIT: https://github.com/therahedwig/grimdark3d
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:22:08 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 21, 2013, 12:00:19 am »

where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 21, 2013, 04:08:02 am »

Ossum

2ndHandSanity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 21, 2013, 01:39:00 pm »

Hey guys, i hate to flood the thread with noob questions, but i'm stuck. recently got into dwarf fotress, then found out about stonesence and was happy to find it was already included in the lazy newb pack. Now my problem is i cant get the darn thing to work. When i type stonesence or ssence into the dfhack i get a red line saying "stonesence is not a recognized command"  :-[
Not really sure what i am doing wrong here. Other commands through the dfhack work, and i can even see the stonesence command when i type ls. Any pointers you could give me would be very appreciated.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 21, 2013, 01:59:14 pm »

Hey guys, i hate to flood the thread with noob questions, but i'm stuck. recently got into dwarf fotress, then found out about stonesence and was happy to find it was already included in the lazy newb pack. Now my problem is i cant get the darn thing to work. When i type stonesence or ssence into the dfhack i get a red line saying "stonesence is not a recognized command"  :-[
Not really sure what i am doing wrong here. Other commands through the dfhack work, and i can even see the stonesence command when i type ls. Any pointers you could give me would be very appreciated.
That would be because it is spelled "stonesense" not "stonesence" so the command does not work.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

2ndHandSanity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 21, 2013, 02:40:07 pm »

wow :-[ guess the dumbarse of the day award goes to me then doesn't it. thanks a ton for the quick reply, at least :P

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:49 pm »

Are there any plans for this to ever become a proper frontend for Dwarf Fortress, where you can fully control and play the game using the Stonesense interface?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 21, 2013, 09:42:44 pm »

No.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 21, 2013, 09:44:53 pm »

Are there any plans for this to ever become a proper frontend for Dwarf Fortress, where you can fully control and play the game using the Stonesense interface?
Not right now, IIRC they are missing a programmer that can do (and is willing to do) this kinda stuff.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 21, 2013, 09:50:34 pm »

Mostly the second bit.

If somebody wants to do it, nobody will stop him, but none of us right now who can do it are interested.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 23, 2013, 04:05:20 am »

Mostly the second bit.

If somebody wants to do it, nobody will stop him, but none of us right now who can do it are interested.

I think it would be more accurate to say everybody wants it done but nobody wants to do it.  It would be good to do, but if you think about all the menus and submenus in DF that you would have to include, or at least abstractly represent before you could play the game wholly through the visualizer, you start to see how much work it would be.  I've had a couple ideas on how to get a very basic setup working, but I think when people want to play through stonesense, they want to never have to go back to the DF window, and have all kinds of context-menus and stuff.  It would all be wonderful, and tons of work. 

As for me, I'm going to stick to (very slow) drawing and bugsquashing.  Better to focus on just a few things than try to do it all I think. 
where is up?

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 25, 2013, 08:11:31 am »

Out of curiosity, and on this ui/frontend topic, when opengl writes the graphics for a layer, would a person without access to the source code be able to have opengl write another layer (live), like the layer above or below it, in, say, a separate window, and is this kindof how stonesense works? And if so how easy or extremely complicated would it be to have it write this layer (using the same graphics as vanilla DF or whatever tileset one has installed in game?

Kindof like when you're in adventure mode and you see the little subwindow when you're next to a higher elevation that lets you see what's visible. Can only Toady or someone make it render this?

Sorry for random question of the day.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 26, 2013, 09:30:45 am »

Out of curiosity, and on this ui/frontend topic, when opengl writes the graphics for a layer, would a person without access to the source code be able to have opengl write another layer (live), like the layer above or below it, in, say, a separate window, and is this kindof how stonesense works? And if so how easy or extremely complicated would it be to have it write this layer (using the same graphics as vanilla DF or whatever tileset one has installed in game?

Kindof like when you're in adventure mode and you see the little subwindow when you're next to a higher elevation that lets you see what's visible. Can only Toady or someone make it render this?

Sorry for random question of the day.

First off I think I should clarify that opengl is an inherently 3D system, so anything it does is rendered to a 3D scene, and so anything 2D using opengl is just being clever with the chosen projection.  If you want to do native 2D layering, it's going to need to use something else (probably software-based).  Both SDL (what DF uses) and Allegro (what stonesense uses) provide abstracted interfaces to the graphics hardware, as well as software-based 2D.  SDL and Allegro both have a concept of a "layer" (broadly speaking) but getting each one to understand what the other one means would be a bit difficult. 

Along the lines of what I think your intent was, however, Japa I know has been poking around with the DFHack folks, looking at ways to take over some section of the DF window (probably the standard view), and do that you're talking about for a while now.  DFHack already has the capability to swap out tiles rendered to each of the DF areas, but arbitrarily reassigning that area (to, say, a frame of stonesense rendered in another thread) isn't currently possible (I think).  That said, the SDL code for stonesense is openly available (and is in fact how DFHack inhabits the same address space as DF now), so directly going in and wiring it in would be the correct direction to take there. 

In the end I'm pretty confident that that's possible, and I know Japa's been interested in that direction in the past, but it is, once more, probably a lot of work to do.  I've recently gotten some experience working with SDL though, so maybe next time I'm poking around with the code I'll try to figure out if there's a shortcut somewhere, since yeah, that would be the most straightforward course of action to take to get stonesense using the DF ui. 
where is up?

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 02, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »

This was the baking thing I was talking about.
The idea would be that if we're gonna need fancy lighting effects, we might be needing normal maps, and it might be an idea to be ahead of that art-evolution, while profiting from it to make renders for the regular blocks.

/will probably set up a git thingy for this because I just saved over one of my difusemaps TT_TT
EDIT: https://github.com/therahedwig/grimdark3d
It looks like oddly shaped dough
What does it look like in game?

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 05, 2013, 09:18:08 am »

That said, the SDL code for stonesense is openly available (and is in fact how DFHack inhabits the same address space as DF now), so directly going in and wiring it in would be the correct direction to take there. 

Thanks for the clarification, concerning everything! I'm mostly just idly theorizing about viewing DF in multiple windows (to see more than 1 layer at once, normally, without stonesense, in live game time, though only interacting with the main one). I know it would be hard but was wondering if it would be impossible and I figured someone like you would have a few paragraphs of relevant information (and you did, so thank you again).

I'm assuming you still can't see things in stonesense live as the game progresses, otherwise my question was a waste :) Haven't used stonesense in a while but couldn't find anything about whether there was progress making it live or if that passed me by a while back.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 85