Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432790 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #765 on: April 09, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »

Killer confectionary is one of my specialties.

Ricin red bean mochi is another fine choice, but most western children are put off by the bland rice dough, and unique texture of the red bean jam.

My years in various hives of scum and villainy on the 'Tubes must have really messed up my instinctive horror response as while I still fear to ask how you know so much on this particular subject the fact that you do isn't particularly disturbing beyond that.  Almost makes me worry.

/Back to the Topic!

RAKninja: If I get you a good crossbow you wanna ride one of my elephants? If you prefer a recon role I could try and 'persuade' the next batch of elves to donate a Giant Cheetah/Jaguar for your use instead.
heavy cav.  recon by fire.

elephant is a bit too heavy though.  would be a tank analog.  i dont use tanks, i used a bradly fighting vehicle.  something like a tank, but also an armored personal carrier.  infantry uses the same thing, but they have the cargo bay modded out to carry a squad of troops.  we cav boys had room in the back for two, the rest was taken up with extra 25mm, 7.62mm ammo and something like 8 or 10 missiles.

so, how bout a rhino?  failing that, i guess a giant jaguar works.

RAKninja - you're captain of the guard, which I normally send into battle along with the squad, so therefore, you're a soldier. You also have a small army squad at your disposal (disposal might be a poor choice of words). As to computer repair, I fear that the secrets of computer technology would soon be lost... that kind of thing requires the proper tools to create the proper tools to create the integrated circuits, and we don't have the proper tools, or the proper tools to create the other proper tools.

ah, you use the fortress guard different than i do.  i use it as a police force, and a training unit, where wounded veterans who are not "combat effective" anymore can pass on their skills to raw recruits, save for the CoG himself, a permanent fixture.

not having fought with my fortress guard much, i assume military orders take precedence over jailing jobs?  would suck if i were advancing on the siege, ready to take it down singlehandedly....  then i mosey back into the fort to throw urist mctantrumpants in jail because he broke a mason's workshop and hit catten mcchild in the head with a x pig tail fiber shoe x.
Might need to make due with rope reeds man. I dunno if there's any hemp here.
what do you think rope reed is?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 09, 2012, 11:32:35 pm »

...Eric Blank apparently signed off for bowyer duty...

I specifically ordained to accept what responsibilities I have at least some experience in, not to sign out of those which I have interest in!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 09, 2012, 11:32:56 pm »

Slave for taking! CoraiUnki will work for booze and food, will stay in room, clean, and steal any and all valuables not on high shelves, requests all items be on high shelves. Will not accept torture of hallucinogenics, scorpions, knives, daggers, swords, wrestling, dogs, wolves, Forgotten beasts, !!FUN!!, or Child Training Programs.
Didn't list my crafting lessons, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 09, 2012, 11:34:06 pm »

Slave for taking! CoraiUnki will work for booze and food, will stay in room, clean, and steal any and all valuables not on high shelves, requests all items be on high shelves. Will not accept torture of hallucinogenics, scorpions, knives, daggers, swords, wrestling, dogs, wolves, Forgotten beasts, !!FUN!!, or Child Training Programs.
Didn't list my crafting lessons, though.

You turn it over...

Will also accept any torture learning of crafting, metalworking, or wood-cutting.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:25 pm »

ITS A TRICK! the kobold is just trying to learn how to make crap so they can rise up! DONT BE FEWLED.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:30 pm »

'Also, was that just a hasty segue or and a thinly-veiled threat?' work better for you?

That sounds about right.

KodKod, you're a mason/animal trainer, given these jobs for your desire to build your own torturehouse, and of course how you're the Scorpion Queen. You need a way to tame those scorpions, right? So they don't kill us all? (not that you'd mind)

This is... acceptable. Indoctrinated war animals are all the rage.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 09, 2012, 11:41:16 pm »

ITS A TRICK! the kobold is just trying to learn how to make crap so they can rise up! DONT BE FEWLED.
Notice how I said that Corai forgot to list it under 'torture'
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 09, 2012, 11:41:43 pm »

Hey, my buddy Krieger's got some cool breath-strips he wants you to try... or some tea if you prefer.

Killer confectionary is one of my specialties.

Ricin red bean mochi is another fine choice, but most western children are put off by the bland rice dough, and unique texture of the red bean jam.

My years in various hives of scum and villainy on the 'Tubes must have really messed up my instinctive horror response as while I still fear to ask how you know so much on this particular subject the fact that you do isn't particularly disturbing beyond that.  Almost makes me worry.

/Back to the Topic!

RAKninja: If I get you a good crossbow you wanna ride one of my elephants? If you prefer a recon role I could try and 'persuade' the next batch of elves to donate a Giant Cheetah/Jaguar for your use instead.
heavy cav.  recon by fire.

elephant is a bit too heavy though.  would be a tank analog.  i dont use tanks, i used a bradly fighting vehicle.  something like a tank, but also an armored personal carrier.  infantry uses the same thing, but they have the cargo bay modded out to carry a squad of troops.  we cav boys had room in the back for two, the rest was taken up with extra 25mm, 7.62mm ammo and something like 8 or 10 missiles.

so, how bout a rhino?  failing that, i guess a giant jaguar works.

RAKninja - you're captain of the guard, which I normally send into battle along with the squad, so therefore, you're a soldier. You also have a small army squad at your disposal (disposal might be a poor choice of words). As to computer repair, I fear that the secrets of computer technology would soon be lost... that kind of thing requires the proper tools to create the proper tools to create the integrated circuits, and we don't have the proper tools, or the proper tools to create the other proper tools.

ah, you use the fortress guard different than i do.  i use it as a police force, and a training unit, where wounded veterans who are not "combat effective" anymore can pass on their skills to raw recruits, save for the CoG himself, a permanent fixture.

not having fought with my fortress guard much, i assume military orders take precedence over jailing jobs?  would suck if i were advancing on the siege, ready to take it down singlehandedly....  then i mosey back into the fort to throw urist mctantrumpants in jail because he broke a mason's workshop and hit catten mcchild in the head with a x pig tail fiber shoe x.
Might need to make due with rope reeds man. I dunno if there's any hemp here.
what do you think rope reed is?

A Rhino is fine too.  While I was somewhat familiar with the Bradley I did not know there were different loadouts/configurations (does make sense though).  How about this then: present a main line of elephant riders, and when the enemy comes in to strike flank them with rhinos from the side(s) depending on terrain?  Or use rhinos to chase unmounted units into elephant groups?

And if what you say about rope reed fiber is true, pay no attention to the jams coming from my side-plot >.>

'Also, was that just a hasty segue or and a thinly-veiled threat?' work better for you?

That sounds about right.

KodKod, you're a mason/animal trainer, given these jobs for your desire to build your own torturehouse, and of course how you're the Scorpion Queen. You need a way to tame those scorpions, right? So they don't kill us all? (not that you'd mind)

This is... acceptable. Indoctrinated war animals are all the rage.

If there's room for more than one trainer, I'll take the big beasts and she can have the venomous ones.  Until one of us figures out how to get a GCS/GDS on an elephant without it killing the wrong target at least.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 09, 2012, 11:48:50 pm »

Wow, this thread is moving fast.  :o RAKninja - you're captain of the guard, which I normally send into battle along with the squad, so therefore, you're a soldier. You also have a small army squad at your disposal (disposal might be a poor choice of words). As to computer repair, I fear that the secrets of computer technology would soon be lost... that kind of thing requires the proper tools to create the proper tools to create the integrated circuits, and we don't have the proper tools, or the proper tools to create the other proper tools.

Corai - +1 to you for reading Spearbreakers. :D

Wierd, if Toady ever puts alchemy back in the game (which I imagine is analogous to phytochemistry), you'll probably be one of the best among us.

Metalhead, welcome to The Twelfth Bay. I'm your miner, as Eric Blank apparently signed off for bowyer duty, so just point at the wall somewhere and I'll carve you a room. I've done plenty of digging in "real life", so.

Question: Our clothes are going to wear out at some point. What do we do??

Thanks, just carve a random chunk out anywhere for me.  Which of my talents do we need the most right now?  I can also perform engineering- and mechanical-related work as well if needed as well as previously mentioned.  If my role will be of a more wildlife-related one, what biome are we camped out in and what's been spotted so far above- and below-ground?

(Sorry I just found the thread a bit ago and haven't had the chance to read if this has been described somewhere already.  Think of me as a moderately-skilled and versatile migrant looking for the first task I can do... and don't tell Kodkod I'm new or I'll probably be her next 'customer' :o)

What skills? Your most useful ones (to us) are hunting, fishing, animal training, and butchery. Not so much cooking - most of us can cook, to some extent. Also a surprising number of us have a good idea of how to brew. :P
We don't really need any more engineers (though it does help with setting up traps) - read the writeup I'm doing (link in my sig). We're camped in a temperate jungle, I guess you might say, on a mountain bordering a brook.  We've found small patches of limonite (good for iron) and the whole mountain is composed largely of dolomite, so we'll be able to make steel. We've found small patches of gems here and there - largely lapis lazuli, for some reason.

Aboveground? Giant wolverines and giant keas. Our land is far, far from being tame. We face some of the fiercest creatures alive. :D I hope you enjoy taming those.

But this is just the story I'm making. It's not official. Officially, where we land is up for debate, as to what would happen.
edit: It's more of a story/simulation.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:53:49 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 09, 2012, 11:53:42 pm »

fiercest creatures alive? mofo, we're humans. We're some of the most violent, bigoted, hypocrital bastards imaginable and alot of the time we don't care! Sure, they can scare the ever loving shit out of or even kill some of us, but we'll be back.... And with pointier toys and tougher outer hide than anything nature can give those things, and with pure hate for them in our very souls the likes of which the gods have never seen!!!!

Plus we have dwarves to back us up, shorter angrier versions of mankind. Always a plus.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 09, 2012, 11:56:09 pm »

I have no idea what's going on, but whatever it is I wanna play.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 09, 2012, 11:57:02 pm »

A Rhino is fine too.  While I was somewhat familiar with the Bradley I did not know there were different loadouts/configurations (does make sense though).  How about this then: present a main line of elephant riders, and when the enemy comes in to strike flank them with rhinos from the side(s) depending on terrain?  Or use rhinos to chase unmounted units into elephant groups?

And if what you say about rope reed fiber is true, pay no attention to the jams coming from my side-plot >.>

yea, there are a few configs, the three main being infantry, cavalry, and then the air defense artillary.  theirs is just like our, it just has a few more spiffy rangefinding gizmos.

as for battle tactics, that would be a good lowtech approximation of how it works.  well, historical i should say.  what would be closer to how we operate would be using the rhinos as skirmishers, using them to suck the enemy in to committing itself, at that point the elephants engage and rhinos disengage.

bonus points if you can get a good observer flyer with light attack capabilities to emulate a kiowa observation helicopter.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

urick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 10, 2012, 12:02:59 am »

For a fort name, I was thinking "eyedagger".

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 10, 2012, 12:05:11 am »

I have no idea what's going on, but whatever it is I wanna play.

Click the top link in my sig. Also, what DF skills do you have in real life?

Splint - it just sounds cooler to say "fiercest creatures alive". I have a feeling the most formidable are probably giant sponges, and giant sperm whales are probably the fiercest - unless you want Holistic Spawn. Or manamaids. Or scythod.

...carp, we have all three of those.

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 10, 2012, 12:07:35 am »

Aboveground? Giant wolverines and giant keas. Our land is far, far from being tame. We face some of the fiercest creatures alive. :D I hope you enjoy taming those.

Giant... wolverines?!?!?!

Fuck the elephants, I want some of THOSE.

If we are lacking armor/weaponsmiths and forgeworkers I will happily balance my efforts between trying not to lose random limbs and searing my eyebrows off just so I can make an army of steel-clad wolverines the size of VW buses (lol I wish).  I'll focus on the training and food procurement.  Is part of the brook within the main curtain wall or do I need to venture outside for it, and is there any non-giant game you would want me to hunt first?

yea, there are a few configs, the three main being infantry, cavalry, and then the air defense artillary.  theirs is just like our, it just has a few more spiffy rangefinding gizmos.

as for battle tactics, that would be a good lowtech approximation of how it works.  well, historical i should say.  what would be closer to how we operate would be using the rhinos as skirmishers, using them to suck the enemy in to committing itself, at that point the elephants engage and rhinos disengage.

bonus points if you can get a good observer flyer with light attack capabilities to emulate a kiowa observation helicopter.

If we can find some Giant Cave Swallows downstairs and someone brave enough to ride one I'm pretty sure that'd be manageable.  Now if only catapults actually lobbed over walls we could have easy artillery support as well assuming their aim was halfway accurate.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 214