Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Wasteland 2!  (Read 33989 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland 2!
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 08:07:36 pm »

Yeah, these Kickstarters that go on to Steam EA are between a rock and a hard place. They can't offer a price lower than what was offered during the KS for alpha-beta access. Otherwise their KS backers think they're getting shit on.

Yes, I've heard this before. Don't shit on KS backers, just shit on EVERYONE ELSE. That'll sell lots of copies.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 08:23:26 pm »

In my worthless internet opinion, if cash is so critical that they MUST go on steam NOW, after already completing a kickstarter, the kickstarter funding goal should have been more carefully planned. Otherwise, shooting yourself in the ass with an absurd asking price *for an unfinished product* is in no way worth all the bad PR that's going to be gained. Just suck it up, wait a few months and list with a sane price that people won't instantly reject.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 08:39:09 pm »

I don't see this as a 'We must release now or we're going to sink' sort of move rather than a 'Some people have asked for it to be released on steam, so we may as well make a few extra bucks' move.

I'm pretty sure that the large majority of players agree that the $60 for alpha access is ridiculous, but there's always a small group of people who are willing to pay a premium for early access to content. That's how kickstarters get people to pony up more cash, and EA is just an extension of that.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2013, 08:46:58 pm »

I think a lot of game companies are looking at the Steam Greenlight as a way to get customers to pay to get involved in the Alpha. It's win/win, fans get to play the game early, devs get extra money.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 12:02:35 am »

Early access isn't really different then pre ordering. Your pre oder bonus is getting to play feature incomplete builds.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 03:55:05 am »

Yeah, these Kickstarters that go on to Steam EA are between a rock and a hard place. They can't offer a price lower than what was offered during the KS for alpha-beta access. Otherwise their KS backers think they're getting shit on.

Yes, I've heard this before. Don't shit on KS backers, just shit on EVERYONE ELSE. That'll sell lots of copies.

I'll never understand this attitude.  Just don't buy it if/while you think the price is too high.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2013, 07:35:51 am »

Wait for the inevitible 'discount', when it comes out of alpha.  It may seem like a terrible price and policy to you, who did not already pony up a buncha money in support of the game early on in its life.  But it is how this particular game's life started.  People paid up to get early access, to invest in this game's success and life.  Paypal donations were also available for the longest time...  This is the continuation of that 'terrible' price and policy.

On that note, I'm too busy playing other games, both old and new to actually play my pre-alpha of this.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2013, 10:08:18 am »

I think a lot of game companies are looking at the Steam Greenlight as a way to get customers to pay to get involved in the Alpha. It's win/win, fans get to play the game early, devs get extra money.

It's a win-win as long as the process of taking money for an incomplete product doesn't change development in some way. With studios like inXile, probably not. But I think it's a blanket statement to say it's always a win/win. Dead State, anyone?

Sometimes the fact you haven't yet made money or succeeded is what keeps you on track. Some devs start getting paid and start thinking immediately about what else they could be doing, other than finishing the thing they were paid for.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:37:42 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2013, 10:41:33 am »

I'll never understand this attitude.  Just don't buy it if/while you think the price is too high.

I'm not and will not and I'll warn others against doing so. JOB DONE

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 10:43:22 am »

I'm not and will not and I'll warn others against doing so. JOB DONE

Lovely attitude. Anything to add?

Installing my build now so I can do something besides spout off.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2013, 11:26:27 am »

Yeah, I would like to know how the game is, ya know, gameplay wise.

anyone playing it?
I got nothing

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2013, 11:38:03 am »

Will get this on GoG. Even if it costs more than Steam. I dislike DRMs in any form, and would even pay a little extra to get rid of them.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 11:43:33 am »

Will get this on GoG. Even if it costs more than Steam. I dislike DRMs in any form, and would even pay a little extra to get rid of them.

As far as I can tell Wasteland 2 isn't using Steamworks.  Given that the only restriction is having to download it from Steam's servers, how exactly is GoG any different?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 02:37:38 pm »

I dont pay for alpha games. Sell me something when its done. The only kickstarters I pay for are for charities or people doing things for fun (such as Cataclym DDA). Companies love the kickstarter funding source because its free money. In the past companies got funding from 3 sources (I have an MBA, its in the textbooks), your own money, loans, or venture capital investments.

Venture Capital investments require equity in the company which is part ownership. Kickstarter allows vendors to go hat in hand to potential companies and say 'please give us money to make you a game, we will make it uber cool'. This is not an 'investment', its a handout. Wasteland 2 raised several million dollars this way. There isn't any legal obligation for them to spend it wisely or pay appropriate salaries. The owners of the company could pay themselves very large salaries and make mistakes spending the money. The people who 'fund' kickstarters have no write to a refund.

Paying $60 for an 'alpha' game is similiar to kickstarter. You are paying early so that people who do not want to invest their own money, get a loan, or get investors can develop a product on your dime. This is essentially free money.

If they have a marketable product than they can go look for venture capital investors and give up equity in their company. This is typically a last resort, because they are not giving up a fixed percentage. So if the game is a huge success the venture capitalists make more money. Unlike people who pay for 'alpha games' or kickstarters they expect a return.

Just look at the 'towns' abandonment (alpha game where the developers got bored and took people's money) or the various kickstarters that never get done. Show me a finished product and then Ill decide if Im going to buy. The threat of 'we will charge you more' doesn't work on me. You will charge me less because I won't buy your product. Besides eventually all games get marked down as they age anyway. I am patient and can wait before spending my money.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2013, 07:09:15 am »

Towns is no longer being developed?

One of the Dev is still active on their forum, and last month they were looking for a program.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13