Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 481474 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2745 on: April 30, 2015, 01:02:24 pm »

You've already used half the bottle. My god. Truly, yours must be the greatest of lives.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: April 30, 2015, 01:11:08 pm »

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but I just found a free cookbook based around eating for $4 a day. Seems really great for people on a tight budget, but everyone needs cheap recipes sometimes. It's definitely worth a read, she's got some cool ideas and I'm surprised some of them are as cheap as they are.

I've read some that. Holy crepe, some of that looks like stuff that shouldn't be cheap. However, I can verify from my own shopping that it can be, and I try to eat for less than $4 a day... because my parents steal my food stamps and I have absolutely no idea what they do with it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: April 30, 2015, 04:54:10 pm »

Another one from the $4 a day cook book

Caramelized onions on toast with cheddar
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Was very delicious but I used sweet onions instead of red onions. I would suggest adding more than one thin slice of cheddar but that's just me
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: April 30, 2015, 05:55:56 pm »

Benefits of Kentucky:
Bourbon whiskey + Bourbon vanilla = way to much Bourbon.

Bourbon Vanilla is completely unrelated. It's simply a variety of vanilla hailing from the indian oceans of Madagascar and Réunion, historically known as the Île Bourbon.

You've already used half the bottle. My god. Truly, yours must be the greatest of lives.

Don't judge me >.>

I've done two large bread puddings with it so far, which has taken a significant chunk (one of them ended up a bit overdone, and would probably be illegal to sell to minors). I've also fiddled with it in some crepes and whipped creams. I've been having lots of dinner guests over lately, and dessert is always a mainstay.

Edit: Hold on, Quiamus. did you say way too much Bourbon? I beg your pardon? :p
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:00:43 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: April 30, 2015, 09:15:22 pm »

Juniper berries are apparently a pretty good marinade ingredient.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: May 01, 2015, 01:01:08 am »

I made carbonara the other day! I didn't take an pictures but it was awesome, and actually quite easy to make.

Won't it end up tasting like gin then?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: May 01, 2015, 01:58:11 am »

Isn't it a well-known fact?...

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: May 01, 2015, 02:44:47 am »

I made carbonara the other day! I didn't take an pictures but it was awesome, and actually quite easy to make.

Won't it end up tasting like gin then?

A splash of gin in a marinade isn't bad either.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: May 01, 2015, 04:02:15 am »

For anything cheese-related kirschwasser is an awesome ingredient. I made a carbonara yeserday as well - with ham substituted by cheese, because vegetarianism - and a bottlecap of the stuff made the whole thing heavenly~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: May 01, 2015, 05:17:10 am »

I wasn't disparaging everyone's favourite expensive rubbing alcohol, God forbid! (That would be a punishable offence in this thread).

I'm just saying that both products ultimately derive their names from the rapacious and oppressive House of Bourbon, and combining them would be a case of what the Swedes call "tårta på tårta," or "tort upon tort" in English.   

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2755 on: May 01, 2015, 06:03:49 am »

I wasn't disparaging everyone's favourite expensive rubbing alcohol, God forbid! (That would be a punishable offence in this thread).

I'm just saying that both products ultimately derive their names from the rapacious and oppressive House of Bourbon, and combining them would be a case of what the Swedes call "tårta på tårta," or "tort upon tort" in English.

Wait a minute... Are you Swedish? Or do you just happen to know a random phrase in Swedish?

(Because I am learning Swedish and I need more people to practice with!)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: May 01, 2015, 06:31:45 am »

I made Kraft Dinner with chopped up hotdogs and peas last night, truly I am a culinary god.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: May 01, 2015, 07:49:45 am »

Wait a minute... Are you Swedish? Or do you just happen to know a random phrase in Swedish?

(Because I am learning Swedish and I need more people to practice with!)

Swedish is the second official language of Finland. "Jak kan taala svenska mykke pra."

(No, not really. My Swedish-skills are rubbish. But luckily, there are quite a few Nordic forumites around here – you should contact them!)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: May 01, 2015, 07:31:34 pm »

Some more food that I have made recently!

Spoiler: spaghetti squash (click to show/hide)

This is a crazy ass plant. It looks like a normal squash at first, but if you cook it then you can scrape out the insides and they fall out into noodliness. I do not understand this squash and therefore it frightens me, but despite that I will probably buy it again. I don't think it's quite as good with vegetable sauce as regular noodles, but I am optimistic about meat sauce or meatballs.

Spoiler: apple and tomato salad (click to show/hide)

I don't know what's wrong with me but I've been eating salads lately. Vinaigrette is good stuff. I've been sticking with the simple stuff because I feel like part of the appeal of a salad is the low effort. I'm still experimenting though. I've never had apples in a salad, but they work very well.

Spoiler: banana bread waffles (click to show/hide)

I needed to get rid of some bananas and this was a great way to. I'm not sure if I'll ever make actual banana bread when I can make waffles instead. I used this recipe without nuts because I didn't have any. I didn't measure the banana in cups, I just threw in three regular-sized ones because that's what I needed to get rid of. They were ridiculously soft so they blended into the batter easily. Definitely good cooking bananas - all brown skin but no brown on the bananas themselves.

I like sweet waffles, but these could actually be slightly less sweet. I think that was because I added extra banana, so next time I'm going to cut some sugar to compensate. If I'm making banana waffles I'm going all out with the bananas.

Spoiler: chicken bacon omelette (click to show/hide)

Kinda overstuffed this one. I cut up and cooked the bacon, then cooked a deboned chicken thigh in the bacon fat (with garlic pepper), then cooked a diced shallot and some sliced mushrooms in the chicken/bacon fat. Then I chopped up the chicken, made the egg part and threw all that into it. Had to add salt (should have cooked the chicken/mushrooms with some) but otherwise it was really good.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: May 01, 2015, 08:48:47 pm »

Just got done with my company's fifth annual Crawfish Boil.

Imagine, if you will. A 15 or 20 gallon pot. A steel cage to drop in it. Red potatoes. Whole white onions. Mushrooms. Two different kinds of sausages. Corn on the cob. Enough Cajun seasoning to sterilize the innards of an army.

And a a couple thousand Crawfish. I think we had 2400 or so.

First, you fill the pots about 3/4 or so with water, and get them going on propane burners.

Once it's hot, you pour in the Cajun seasoning and get it to a rolling boil.

Meanwhile, the live Crawfish are on ice to keep them alive...ish. You dump them out into a container like a beer cooler and put a hose to them until your container is full to the top. The dead ones should start floating, and you wanna take those out ASAP before their toxins cause other Crawfish to die.

Once they're clean and drained and sort of picked through (because understandably, they will pincer the shit out of you if you aren't careful), you load them into the steel basket, and add all your fixins on top of them. Let boil for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring (if such a thing can be called a stir) occasionally to shift the bottom contents of the pot to the top (carefully, or you will be a in world of hurt.)

When you've got a nice rolling boil visible at the top, and it's been about 20 minutes, you kill the heat and let it continue to steam cook for about 10 minutes.

Then, you remove the cage and manhandle it to a beer cooler with the help of another person, and shake the basket side to side, letting portions fall out. As each big portion falls into the beer cooler, a third person with a can of yet MOAR Cajun seasoning liberally shakes it out, coating the whole mass in dry seasoning.

Close the lid to the beer cooler and it steep for 10 to 15 minutes. You know, so the spice really gets in there and goes from hot to mouth-annihilation.

After its steeped, pick up the ice chest and dump the contents onto a table you preferably built out of plywood, covered in plastic, with circular holes cut on each end, with trash cans under them that also serve as the legs.

And then you eat. I recommend having a lot to drink on hand, like epic quantities of shitty beer.

Spoiler: Not me (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The dumpening (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 01:58:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 333