Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about Slaves to Armok  (Read 8567 times)

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
Questions about Slaves to Armok
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:01:15 pm »

Hey everyone, while being bored I stumbled upon what appeared to be called 'Slaves to Armok: God of blood'. After 20 seconds I realized this was the prequel of Dwarf Fortress, I decided to check it out and I must say I love this game. I have so much fun with the magic in it, I just adore the fact you can teleport the heart of anything outside of it and beat it down with it. Now it is question time:
1. Are there any games like this
2. Are there any recent updates to this game? It doesn't matter if it was updated by Toady or not, I just want an updated version
3. Anyone care to teach me how to make new spells like melting brains or freezing blood?
4. What exactly does crushing do when you're holding something?
5. Anyone else play this game?
All these questions are optional, if, however they are answered then I will be greatly pleased and may pleasure myself to your reply if requested. Also I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place
Gentlemanly turtle molester AWAAY!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:47:50 pm by jimbobobby »
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Slaves to Armok
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 03:06:14 pm »

I think 'Other games' would be better suited to your needs.
Thank you sir!
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 03:08:43 pm »

As you can see by looking an inch up the screen, there used to be a forum just for Slaves To Armok.  But since it hasn't been touched since about 2004, Toady locked it a while ago when the only thing ever posted there was spam.  Kind of a pity that you actually have relevant questions about it, but I'd actually try the Curses board myself, since it's kind of the catchall board for Toady's old games.

But yeah, it's a weird experience to be sure.

Whoa, the thread moved while I was posting in it.  It's like stepping out of a magic elevator.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:12:17 pm »

Thank you sir!
I'm not used to being called 'sir'

glarrrgl!
Oh, but a fine gentlepolarbear of your caliber just must have the appropriate title. You don't expect people to call you greatorder do you? That would just be plain nonsense and tom-foolery
As you can see by looking an inch up the screen, there used to be a forum just for Slaves To Armok.  But since it hasn't been touched since about 2004, Toady locked it a while ago when the only thing ever posted there was spam.  Kind of a pity that you actually have relevant questions about it, but I'd actually try the Curses board myself, since it's kind of the catchall board for Toady's old games.

But yeah, it's a weird experience to be sure.

Whoa, the thread moved while I was posting in it.  It's like stepping out of a magic elevator.
The topic shall be moved, thank you fine gentleman and do be careful around those magic elevators. I entered one once and I woke up unclothed in a street full of urchins. I apologize if it is hard to understand the upper class-ness of my language as I cannot prevent this, its just the way I was born.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:17:01 pm by jimbobobby »

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »

Thank you sir!

glarrrgl!
Oh, but a fine gentlepolarbear of your caliber just must have the appropriate title. You don't expect people to call you greatorder do you? That would just be plain nonsense and tom-foolery

The topic shall be moved, thank you fine gentleman and do be careful around those magic elevators. I entered one once and I woke up unclothed in a street full of urchins. I apologize if it is hard to understand the upper class-ness of my language as I cannot prevent this, its just the way I was born.

I think I may be sigging this.

verily.
Do so and I will offend you to the best of my ability, go on, make my evening rather unfriendly miscreant.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:03:03 pm »

Check my sig.

Thank you sir!

glarrrgl!

verily.
Do so and I will offend you to the best of my ability, go on, make my evening rather unfriendly miscreant.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 09:07:58 am »

Check my sig.

Thank you sir!

glarrrgl!

verily.
Oh dear lord! You sir are truly a rebellious one aren't you? I shall see to it that you gain none of my respect whatsoever. Never in my life have I felt so down-trodden and elf-like, my butlers shall see me out of this forum for the time being!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:41:40 am »

Threadjack go.

I picked this up and started up a human character; then promptly picked a fight and got my posterior handed to me by a tree.
How DOES one get anything done?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 03:28:33 am »

I love playing as a gargantuan Lizardman, stomping trees to pulp and teleporting Kobold's hearts out of them. The first Slaves to Armok was simply amazing for what it was, an unfinished dream. I kind of wish it would've survived. Or got released to the public to develop...
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:47:55 am »

Maybe someone could do a version, it doesn't have to be Toady :P

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »

Maybe someone could do a version, it doesn't have to be Toady :P

I don't think Armok is open source, though I'm not certain about that.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 01:49:04 am »

It isn't open source, IIRC, but I'm not sure if anyone's ever asked Toady about opening it up.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 06:21:41 am »

what i would do for the source code :( , me Wants
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »

what i would do for the source code :( , me Wants

I don't think you do, to be honest. I remember Toady ended up abandoning Armok I because it was too complexly written to root out the bugs that were programmed in, requiring mostly an entire rebuild to add simple features or to fix the game-breaking bugs, so he just said fuck it all. Or atleast that's as much as I can remember, he did an interview a few years back [Gamasutra?] and they inquired about Armok I's history and such.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian