Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the mining drop rate changes?

I really like the new system.
- 127 (35%)
Better than before, but more needs to be done.
- 93 (25.6%)
It doesn't make a difference to me.
- 41 (11.3%)
The changes don't really address my issues.
- 6 (1.7%)
I don't like it at all.
- 35 (9.6%)
I have mixed feelings on the matter.
- 61 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 362

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?  (Read 59838 times)

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 01:18:06 am »

1. Save on hauling stone of out your excavations
2. 1/4 of the stone listed on the stock screen
3. Need less smelting jobs to get the same amount of ore.

Sounds good so far.

How will this affect adamantine and slade?

So instead of having 160K stone (despite being ~15% done digging) while emptying for my megaproject, I'd just have 40K? Awesome. Except for the nice stones, such as rutile... Having less stone will also help with FPS, to some degree...

As for Addymantine, the multiple bars per ore will probably turn into multiple strands per ore, or multiple wafers per strand?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 01:51:37 am »

It sounds like we'll spend a lot less time hauling stone and making blocks out of it will be ever more useful.

So, a good change all around I'd say.  Just need to start making wheelbarrows/minecarts so they don't take forever to haul.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

TriggerNaught

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 04:10:15 am »

I have to state my observation here... If ores have a flat 25% chance, small veins could possibly result in potentially very little ore compared to currently where you know what you're getting from it. I'm not sure I like it! We'll have to see won't we, might turn out great, or the chance based will be too annoying. The way I start my fortresses, my miners are nearing legendary before I really strike any ore anyways! Just my 2 cents

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:22 am »

*sigh*

Well it seems I'm part of the minority that will be struck hard by this :/

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 06:29:34 am »

can you explain how? except for rock pots, there is not much that you actually NEED raw stone for, maybe some nest boxes, grates, doors, cabinets, coffers, coffins, mechanisms, slabs... well, in the end you'll always have more stone than you need anyway, right

I'm definately seeing a blockage of my mechanism production here
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 06:46:35 am »

can you explain how? except for rock pots, there is not much that you actually NEED raw stone for

Building :/

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 06:54:50 am »

No longer do you need to train your miners for drop rates! Huzzah!
*party dance*

Edit: does this apply to adamantine?!
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 06:57:13 am »

can you explain how? except for rock pots, there is not much that you actually NEED raw stone for

Building :/
so make blocks. You'll get more blocks per rock. It'll even train your masons, and, imo, is more realistic
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 06:59:57 am »

Yeah, 4 blocks per stone remember. This and the updates allowing you to tie a workshop to a particular stockpile, and hence type of stone(s), have got me thinking big things.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 07:04:33 am »

marble temples

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 07:13:12 am »

I don't really like the change. I like to have all this stone.
I usually have a couple of mason workshops producing blocks on repeat, because I don't use boulders for anything but the very first workshops.
Now I will probably run out of stone, my masons will be idling and will have less training. Block production is a great way to make legendary masons, or at least train them up to a level where they are listed as masons and, if having a mood, will produce something usefull and not another cat bone mug, menacing with spikes.

I dig out some large rooms in the soil at the beginning anyway, where i temporarily put everything and use them as treefarms and underground pastures later on. So my miners are usually legendary when I start proper digging. (And if not...-> another 21x21 room in soil)

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 07:20:22 am »

Not really fond of this fix either, but since it's just temporary I guess I can live with it until Toady figures out how to handle it all. To me this is a step in the wrong direction, as what I've been hoping for is something a bit more realistic where every mined tile leaves at least some mineral, be it rubble, small stones or whatever else it ends up as. It always irks me when the mountain magically disappears when my miners strike the earth :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 07:26:20 am »

so make blocks. You'll get more blocks per rock. It'll even train your masons, and, imo, is more realistic
I use up a lot of stone. I already make everything out of blocks. My emphasis is on the building, not the digging, and "training my masons" is hardly a consolidation :|

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:14 am »

It's neither, we'll probably have to play it to see how it actually works but less stone cluttering everywhere and dragging fps down can only be a good thing in my book.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:42 am »

I use up a lot of stone. I already make everything out of blocks. My emphasis is on the building, not the digging, and "training my masons" is hardly a consolidation :|

You'll train them even less now, if you used to make everything out of blocks before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15