Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239534 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Path of Exile - Release & Scion
« Reply #525 on: November 06, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »

So, I'm finally getting back into PoE after diving in blind a while back. As far as builds go, is there anything to know besides "chase life nodes"?

Like, what's important to consider for a build? I know a lot of builds focus around a keystone skill, is there anything more then that?

Like say, if I were to go for iron reflexes or whatever the one that converts dodge rating into armor and then go entirely for two handed damage, would that be a good "example" of a build, or is there something I'm missing? I'm probably being incredibly confusing so I apologize in advance.

How do I make my own build, I guess is a good way to put it. I dislike just grabbing a cookie cutter build and going to town if I can help it.

(still patching but I intend to join the guild when I manage to get through that, as a side note)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:28:29 pm by Seriyu »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 06, 2013, 10:39:51 pm »

There's varying levels you can approach a build at. You can dissect choices to spend the least amount of points for the most bang, or you can plan it casually. I'm not a number cruncher, and so I go with what sounds cool. High evasion, attack speed, dual wielding and sword damage, for example. Your character choice affects how much/little it costs you in points to achieve your desired goals. It's cheaper and more reasonable for a Shadow to be what I described above than a Templar, for example, because all those traits I mentioned mostly exist between the Duelist and the Shadow Trees. (I forgo all the traps and ranged combat that are supposed to be the Shadow's signature stuff.) I managed to almost get through Merciless pre-release with that character, and have several more into Cruel. So it's not rocket science.

I tend to shoot for the 2nd tier abilities (the ones between the tiny nodes and the big skills with the orange text) and I seem to do alright. (Although I clearly need to start taking resists more seriously even in normal.) I try to go for clusters that have at least two things I want. And as long as I can take a mostly direct path to them, I make that my goal.

As for chasing life nodes....factor in where life exists relative to the path you want to take. Evaluate if you really want to spend x levels trying to reach that life node if it's not directly on the way to something else you want...or if you need to sacrifice one of your goals in the name of more life, now (since by the time you'll want it, you'll already be getting your ass kicked.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:41:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #527 on: November 06, 2013, 10:59:48 pm »

Very helpful, thank you. Just what I wanted to hear! Never been good at planning out builds hardcore and sticking with them.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 06, 2013, 11:02:18 pm »

I'm in game messsing around right now if anyone wants the invite. Send a tell to Xilionar

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #529 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:34 pm »

Didn't manage to catch you unfortunately, I added you. Seriyu is my account name I'm pretty sure. Been a while since I set it up. :P

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 07, 2013, 02:43:52 pm »

Heh yeah. Judging by the time of your post, You got on a few minutes after I popped off. Anyways, I'm back on right now if anyone is interested. Send a tell to Xilionar for the guild.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 09, 2013, 01:48:25 pm »

I can also invite people if Xilionar's not on; drop a message to Shaeriel.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #532 on: November 09, 2013, 06:03:48 pm »

I will do that! I'll add you if I can't manage to catch you online.

Also, I got a goldrim's leather cap, unique, from ole hillock. I hear this is super great? Is this true?

EDIT: Got in the guild.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:32:12 pm by Seriyu »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 09, 2013, 07:08:22 pm »

Well, I finally got him.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't help but cringe at the rock ballads for PoE. Also the community supporter credits runs like 20 minutes + :X
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 09, 2013, 11:24:20 pm »

Also, I got a goldrim's leather cap, unique, from ole hillock. I hear this is super great? Is this true?
Indeed it is, it should easily hold well in your headpiece slot through Cruel difficulty.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #535 on: November 09, 2013, 11:34:50 pm »

Delightful! Thank you. Also if anyone needs to be in the guild add me and I can getcha in (I'm pretty sure)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2013, 01:58:15 am »

Nnnnnnng. *stabstabstabstab*.

4th 30+ Nemesis character I've lost in the last week to a rare monster with that explode-on-death trait.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2013, 05:35:30 am »

Man, I've just been ripping through Cruel. Already killed two Bandits in Act 2. Now that I have Spectral Weapon + Projectile Speed + Lesser Projectiles, it's like a combine going through wheat when I hold down the button!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »

4th 30+ Nemesis character I've lost in the last week to a rare monster with that explode-on-death trait.

The 'split' one is a total pain in the ass if the unique is a bigger monster. For melees this means you MUST be ready to nuke everything the second you kill the unique or get caught between them and die.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2013, 05:21:03 pm »

The 'split' one is a total pain in the ass if the unique is a bigger monster. For melees this means you MUST be ready to nuke everything the second you kill the unique or get caught between them and die.

I always give my melee characters a backup weapon with leap slam for emergencies like that.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 100