Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239544 times)

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters
« Reply #780 on: August 23, 2014, 05:21:34 am »

So what's most people playing in PoE these days around here? The hardcore leagues? Softcore stuff? Thinking about getting pack into PoE, because I have been having a hard 'kill stuff get loot' itch that needs scratching.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 23, 2014, 05:41:58 am »

Most people play the challenge leagues. I think. Normal hardcore is a ghosttown, but I'm sure Beyond is bustling. Standard is likely being its usual self and Rampage might be doing better with people than Beyond.
Anyway, Aklyon and I have been playing Rampage. I started a bay12 guild, but I haven't collected any other bay12ers in it other than Aklyon, yet...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #782 on: August 23, 2014, 07:06:14 am »

I play standard, and most towns are ghost towns indeed.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #783 on: August 23, 2014, 07:15:55 am »

Eh, I find Sarn tends to be reasonably busy, particularly as you get to later difficulties.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #784 on: August 23, 2014, 10:56:44 am »

I play rampage. Don't know what counts as populated, but the towns seems pretty decently full. Say, 10 or more. Any more would just mean unnecessary crowding at stash, imho. I play on EU server though.

On topic of guilds - I wouldn't mind joining one, but is there even a benefit in doing so? Also guilds are server bound, I'm guessing...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 23, 2014, 11:15:40 am »

Theres no seperate servers technically, except for asian people playing via garena client instead of ggg one. All the locations mentioned (or not mentioned but probably stil lwork if you type it in, like the old Singapore one) on the login screen are gateways. As in, the America gateway will have less latency for people in the us unless they really want to go through the europe one for some reason.

As for guild advantages, theres a seperate guild stash for extra space (which is nonexistant by default, unless if the guild is given enough points to buy it by other guildfolk (only the leader can buy it however), or if the leader buys it themselves without contributions), and guild chat is not league-bound last time I'd heard about it on reddit. (Global and trade chat channels are restricted to each individual league, not that it makes them any easier to read :P)
Theres also some sort of [tag] you can make for the guild that involves spending particular maps to get particular letters in the particular order you particularly want them in, but you actually need people with spare maps to do that, so its not really relevant to us atm.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 23, 2014, 09:53:48 pm »

Did they nerf Merciless Dominus recently? I ran in there today with a Rain of Arrows Ranger that wasn't able to get halfway through Act 3 before the patch and was struggling towards the end of it even after the patch, and to my surprise she only died once to Dominus (due to desync, naturally). I didn't expect to actually be able to kill him, I just wanted to get an idea how much stronger I'd have to become before I could take him. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I was just surprised. His cronies in particular went down extremely easily, to the point where I was so bewildered that I opened up the map to check that I was actually in Merciless. Did they nerf the fight or something?

-snip-

They have a large post on their Development Manifesto forum on this topic.
Personally, I don't really care. I've got a /oos macro and I've learned to identify when to use it. I've died to it, of course, but not in a while.

Yeah, I've read that a while ago. And again just now. What caught my eye in particular is this bit:

Our experimental changes so far attack the problem by causing more intelligent resyncs. There's a very tough trade-off between small frequent resyncs (which make the game feel jittery but it's kept in sync) vs less-frequent but larger teleports. Users have come to associate a resync with being out of sync, so updating them more frequently makes them feel like the sync is worse rather than better.

What I find interesting is that it doesn't say "we're trying to strike a balance between syncing often enough and keeping the server load low enough". That's what I'd always assumed was the crux of the issue. If you can just manually /oos at any time to make the server resync you, surely the easiest solution would be to just do it automatically? I always thought the reason they're not doing that is because it would stress the servers too much. But no, it seems the balance they're trying to strike is actually between keeping the game in sync and making sure things don't jump around on the screen too much. That's a point that's repeated several times through the post, and they even acknowledge that people a varying tolerance for the rubber-banding that occurs during a resync. So the question that comes to my mind is this: Why not let the player decide that balance? Just put a damn slider into the options menu, "resync aggressively (rubber-banding will occur frequently) -  resync infrequently (severe desync will occur occasionally)". Sounds like an obvious solution to me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:55:26 pm by Sordid »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #787 on: August 23, 2014, 09:57:50 pm »

Well, they did buff bows.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 23, 2014, 10:33:40 pm »

I play in Standard. I participated in the first two sets of temp. leagues, but after they ended I found merging my stash is an extremely time consuming task.

Now that I have 101 pages I'm not inclined to play in temp. leagues... the features, if tested to be good, will eventually come to Standard anyway. And if I do play temp. leagues, I will try very hard to limit my hoarding to no more than 4 pages.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 23, 2014, 11:08:46 pm »

The servers apparently got DDOS'd, just so you guys are aware.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #790 on: August 23, 2014, 11:14:13 pm »

All the games I play have server issues today. League servers are kaput, PoE servers got ddosed...

edit: I normally have 561 DPS, but with 4 stacks of Frenzy I get 910 dps. Pretty impressive o_o
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:54:22 pm by Skyrunner »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 24, 2014, 05:56:06 am »

All the games I play have server issues today. League servers are kaput, PoE servers got ddosed...

edit: I normally have 561 DPS, but with 4 stacks of Frenzy I get 910 dps. Pretty impressive o_o

Yup, Frenzy is beastly if you can support the mana cost. I use it as an initiator on my poison arrow ranger and can gas entire rooms, it's pretty amusing.

Did they nerf Merciless Dominus recently? I ran in there today with a Rain of Arrows Ranger that wasn't able to get halfway through Act 3 before the patch and was struggling towards the end of it even after the patch, and to my surprise she only died once to Dominus (due to desync, naturally). I didn't expect to actually be able to kill him, I just wanted to get an idea how much stronger I'd have to become before I could take him. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I was just surprised. His cronies in particular went down extremely easily, to the point where I was so bewildered that I opened up the map to check that I was actually in Merciless. Did they nerf the fight or something?

Don't think so. Thing is, Dominus is the massive meta-breaker since you can't really just outgear the fight like with Piety or Merveil.
He will happily kill you with Touch of God if you lack the HP and resists and stand in the heavily telegraphed Big Attack (can't remember if it can actually crit), a moment of inattentiveness with his totems, getting zerged by suicide bombing mooks (what usually kills me) or any of the above combined with getting shocked by one of his ghosts. It's a tactically difficult fight meant for two or three people (tank, add clear, DPS) due to its mechanics, to the point where sometimes it boils down to chance alone.

Edit: if someone in Standard wants to keep an eye on naturally-occurring Forsaken Masters in the wild and get in on the action, or join daily quest farming runs, /global 820 is the place.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:04:07 am by Something Evil »
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 24, 2014, 07:53:33 am »

Don't think so. Thing is, Dominus is the massive meta-breaker since you can't really just outgear the fight like with Piety or Merveil.
He will happily kill you with Touch of God if you lack the HP and resists and stand in the heavily telegraphed Big Attack (can't remember if it can actually crit), a moment of inattentiveness with his totems, getting zerged by suicide bombing mooks (what usually kills me) or any of the above combined with getting shocked by one of his ghosts. It's a tactically difficult fight meant for two or three people (tank, add clear, DPS) due to its mechanics, to the point where sometimes it boils down to chance alone.

Edit: if someone in Standard wants to keep an eye on naturally-occurring Forsaken Masters in the wild and get in on the action, or join daily quest farming runs, /global 820 is the place.

My only problem with Dominus is that he's very likely to spam non-stop his lightning attack (the one with lots of demons crawling)... even with capped lightning resists, Master of Mind with Eldritch Battery, I still cannot stand too much inside it. I can drink a Topaz and face tank him, but that's only for a short while and twice per portal.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 24, 2014, 08:16:45 am »

Little disappointed with the expansions. Expected a boost to self found players with the new crafting options, but it looks like the prices of crafting are already balanced around a economy, and are extremely high.

I really hoped that depending of item level the prices will scale, so people have more reason to use crafting while leveling and playing the game, and not use it only few time in end game when you get that good item.

The two new leagues are really nothing special, liked invasion a lot more, as it had much more diversity and better bosses, while in beyond I am fighting two same mobs that 90% drop only white items. The thing I like are the masters and the quests, they add little diversity, and also that you can buy gems from them. But there are also problems as to much grind that you will need to level them.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 24, 2014, 09:43:55 am »

Havent played much with the masters, but the reworked passive tree helped out the Witch a lot, but right now I am looking for better to drop.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 100