Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239553 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters
« Reply #840 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:58 am »

Speaking of masters, which masters would you/did you invite to your hideout? Rabid ElreonxMarauder shipping aside, from what I understand Zana is pretty much a must?

Or is it not that important in the end?

Zana's good to be in your hideout because:
1. She sells maps. Sometimes no map drops and you will be stuck farming docks. Her inventory refreshes when you do her daily quest.
2. Her reputation progression is steeper than other masters.
3. She offers the best decorations.
4. She is hard to find - she can only show up inside maps; other masters can show up anywhere including maps.

Zana in hideout means a free map, which often comes with free exiles. Vorici means a free exile too.

You want masters in your hideout to level them fast or to refresh their inventories. Otherwise it won't matter much.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 11, 2014, 09:40:44 pm »

Vorici is hardest daily. His targets die 2fast4me.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #842 on: September 12, 2014, 03:13:35 am »

Well I might just give Vorici the bird for a while from now on. Or just... dunno, ignore all strongboxes with rouge exiles?

Because I just recently discovered the joy of summoner exiles on cruel.

Ah well.

So what about the spike shields? I've asked in global and got the answer indicating they are pretty useless, but still, you guys/gals know any build that would make them viable?
When I discovered them my first thought was I could use them on shadow because of the stats, but given how shadow is all evade AND spike shields give bonus evade it makes no f-ing sense to use a shield to deflect damage when you want to EVADE hits.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #843 on: September 12, 2014, 05:13:12 am »

Considering evasion has a built in decay that means after a few attacks you're guaranteed to be hit anyway, it doesn't really matter much.

Spiked shields are probably better for summoner builds using Necromantic Aegis.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 12, 2014, 05:57:17 am »

Even then, it's not great to give your shield stats to your summons for a measly amount of reflect. I haven't seen anyone try a full reflect build since the patch, though I've been playing other games more often, recently.
Also, keep in mind that damage blocked is damage not reflected, similar to evasion. It's bad, even with a full reflect build and those are bad, too. (As far as I'm aware)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 12, 2014, 01:03:46 pm »

Well I might just give Vorici the bird for a while from now on. Or just... dunno, ignore all strongboxes with rouge exiles?

Because I just recently discovered the joy of summoner exiles on cruel.

Ah well.

She used to be even more damaging. You need either a long ranged attack (and constantly move away from her melee minions), or be able to single target attack. She has a cap to no. of minions, so by using movement skills you can have brief moments where she uses arc on you instead of re-summoning.

So what about the spike shields? I've asked in global and got the answer indicating they are pretty useless, but still, you guys/gals know any build that would make them viable?
When I discovered them my first thought was I could use them on shadow because of the stats, but given how shadow is all evade AND spike shields give bonus evade it makes no f-ing sense to use a shield to deflect damage when you want to EVADE hits.

There's an unique shield with 1-1000 damage reflect... that one is for PvP, giving your opponents a nasty surprise. Otherwise, they are not really useful.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #846 on: September 12, 2014, 02:38:23 pm »

Yeah, I figured out in the end I am really hurting for something ranged because sweep was out of question in that suicide horde and I just couldn't get close enough to smash her face with my glacial hammer (though I did in the end...somehow). I'm still regretting taking flame surge instead of arc on my 1st playthrough as templar. I really need to do something about this, it's becoming more and more obvious the more I play on cruel. :I
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 12, 2014, 02:52:24 pm »

Reflect is pretty awful.  Even though evasion is deterministic, you don't want to evade anything if you're trying to deal damage with blocks or damage taken (both are rolled after evasion/dodge). The passive nodes look interesting, but you have to realize that melee physical damage isn't most of the damage you'll take and the nodes/shields only reflect damage you take.  It's a big pain to get life on that side of the tree, so you're looking at trying to nullify the easier ways to build tank there and trying to build pure buffer w/o reduction or evasion/dodge.  In short, you're pretty likely to end up with a total shit tank.

Punishment was and probably is still awful.

My recommendation if you want to incorporate some kind of reflection into your build is to build use The Anvil and Tempest Shield while stacking block chance.  It's not really a good source of damage, but regular phys damage enemies will kill themselves... slowly.  Block is interesting by itself, though.

I built a mace and shield character in beta that had crappy attack and maxed block.  It was very tanky against phys enemies, but weaker to bosses and spell packs.  If I were to build another character using max block, I would build:

Searing Bond+Inc. Burning+Empower- Applies burning, does mediocre damage
Flamesurge+Fire Pen+Conc Effect+Spell Echo- This is your main damage, it is a very good melee range spell
CwDT+Enduring Cry+Immortal Call+Molten Shell- Invulnerability is the best tank
Tempest Shield+Flammability+Reduced Mana- +4% block and more fire pen.  Lightning shield is worth about 10 points in the passive web for this build.

I'd want Cybil's Paw, The Anvil, and Rainbowstride.  I was thinking about Rathpith, but it's even more expensive and makes Plated Defense less useful.  The shield has to have 29% block to reach your new block rate cap of 78%.  At 71, my tree would be something like this.  The potential problems I can see are getting the dex for Cybil's, which isn't too hard, and having mana for Flame Surge with Spell Echo, which is solvable with this tree.

There's an unique shield with 1-1000 damage reflect... that one is for PvP, giving your opponents a nasty surprise. Otherwise, they are not really useful.

Do people actually PvP seriously in PoE?  I find it hard to believe anyone would bother, considering desync issues.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:55:41 pm by Rez »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 12, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »

Do people actually PvP seriously in PoE?  I find it hard to believe anyone would bother, considering desync issues.

They do. I hear that the PvP scene is slowly coming alive. Here's a PVPer AMA from Reddit if you're interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2fukda/pvp_ask_us_anything/

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 12, 2014, 03:27:23 pm »

The guy's answer regarding gear made me laugh.  Oh, you don't need to spend much, but most people are going to be spending every exalt they get, because what else would you do with it.

It makes me laugh more that people think skill is important in a game that will not relay your position on the server to your computer more than once every 20 seconds.  Not buying it.  You can be stunned/frozen and killed before you resync.  It happens in PvE against monsters that are not built around abusing it.  I guess 'wearing uniques that provide immunity' is skill.

w/e, if they enjoy it, good for them.

ed:  Just to clarify.

I was being a bit hyperbolic.  I'm pretty sure the server tries to sync your character position every 3-5 seconds.  However, due to the way movement interact with other units, walls, and the syncing process, it very frequently can cascade to very big desyncs.  The propensity of the system to desync when characters are using stuns and mobility skills lowers the skill ceiling and probably makes some builds totally nonviable.  Just as an example, if you're certain you won't desync, you can dodge between piety's ice form arrows.  Most of the time you just have to hide behind a pillar though.

That you can play around these technical problems is not really something I think should be lauded or used an excuse for them.  I doubt GGG sat around their conference room and planned their game with the assumption of desyncs.

I want to be clear that I understand that programming is not easy and it may not even be possible to change this kind of thing.  However, that doesn't mean we should pretend that it isn't bad for the experience.  I'm pretty sure we can all think of people who would play PoE if desyncs weren't ubiquitous.

I was being facetious when I made the remark about wearing uniques, but it is indeed part of the skill of planning and executing a build.  I just don't see that as all that important, given the nature of PvP; successful builds are copied, even by people who could never put together such a build by themselves.  The idea that you can just throw all your currency at your PvP characters also excludes anyone who doesn't have the currency to get to an average gear cost which is probably several exalts.  Exclusivity based on net worth and not skill is a bad thing for PvP in my mind.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:03:58 pm by Rez »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: December 12, 2014, 07:24:09 pm »

Well its not a new expansion but if people are interested, the 1.3.0 New stuff & challenge leagues/pvp patch is out in half an hour or so.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 19, 2014, 11:46:51 am »

Aklyon and I have been playing fairly regularly, and I have taken command of Nist Akath.  We've got a little bit of shared stash now, mainly for storing communal convenience items and easy in-guild trading.

My current Torment league character is Darius_Faratine, if anyone wants to join us.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - The Awakening
« Reply #852 on: April 10, 2015, 11:34:24 am »

Expansion incoming.
Act 4, more gems, new kinds of gems, new items, improved ui bits, apparently changes enough to require a beta. Jumping from v1.3 to v2.0.

Edit from article reading: Netcode rewrite!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:51:22 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 10, 2015, 01:13:12 pm »

Bah, PoE is a game I've been meaning to get through at least once (along with TItan Quest) but somewhere along the way I just stop playing for one reason or another. Then when I want to get back into it the build I was following is no longer viable...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 10, 2015, 01:42:11 pm »

Netcode improvements would be a godsend.  That was what irritated me the most about POE.  Nothing like putting 50 arrows in a skeleton and then he teleports backwards and is back at full health.

I got to admit, those AOE skill gems sound pretty fun too.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 100