Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239541 times)

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - The Awakening
« Reply #960 on: November 04, 2015, 02:22:37 pm »

Everytime I got to play PoE I get super excited planning my build, but then I go to actually play the game and its ridiculously boring so I stop after a bit.   :P 

I'm not even sure exactly what it is that bores me so much.

Its probably because the game has one of the worst and dumb combat compared to other arpg games. Great complexity on paper, but it all falls apart with gameplay that is a borefest, even compared to crap like d3.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:27:21 pm by boki »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 04, 2015, 02:40:36 pm »

I do not understand why people come after PoE's combat so much. It is D2's combat, pretty much to a T. Yes, clicking on a mass of enemies does result in some sloppy combat but, I dunno. Seems like people expect an aRPG today to let you shoot lightning out of your ass in the first zone, ala D3's totally graphically overblown abilities.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 04, 2015, 02:41:36 pm »

I'm not sure how something could be less interesting than D3's combat, from what I've seen of it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 04, 2015, 02:51:57 pm »

I do not understand why people come after PoE's combat so much. It is D2's combat, pretty much to a T. Yes, clicking on a mass of enemies does result in some sloppy combat but, I dunno. Seems like people expect an aRPG today to let you shoot lightning out of your ass in the first zone, ala D3's totally graphically overblown abilities.

No its not. And it has nothing to do with visuals. There was a huge reason to actually use more skill in d2 than in PoE. The higher the level you are in PoE, more boring the combat becomes. Even old d2 had more interesting combat with need to build your character around different elements so you can finish the game.

PoE literally has the worst combat mechanic of all arpg out there (its actually on level of d1, not d2), and it comes from core problems the game has, their sockets and passive tree, where the only thing you will do is put everything in one spam skill. And the combat is actually better on beginning when you can use different skills.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 04, 2015, 02:54:49 pm »

...only one skill? Really. Because usually I end up with 2, maybe 3 skills that I use often. Sometimes a movement skill if theres space.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 04, 2015, 02:59:05 pm »

...only one skill? Really. Because usually I end up with 2, maybe 3 skills that I use often. Sometimes a movement skill if theres space.

^

I find a lot of exaggerations when people talk about how bad they think PoE's combat is. My whole skill bar is full of stuff I use constantly, in addition to several passive abilities. An AOE melee attack with life leech, spectral swords for filling the screen at range, a shield charge for attack or avoidance, several war cries, an aura, and at least 3 passive defensive attacks.

What the game DOES allow you to do though, is build up one skill to broken levels. But everytime I think I've got a 1-size fits all solution to PoE, the game disabuses me of that idea.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:38:20 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 04, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »

Yes one skill. One dmg skill to say it better. And ton of auras, curses and similar buffs with almost every build. There are i think 3 or 4 builds that use more different type of attacks, but majority one dumb skill all the fucking time. Most of builds play the same way and feel the same. The game is balanced around you building around that one skill and spamming it. If you do anyhting else you hurt you build as the whole game is balanced around it, especially high end game maps or end game bosses like atziri.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:06:40 pm by boki »

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 04, 2015, 05:20:42 pm »

Specializing a character in D2 meant restricting yourself to pretty much one element. Sorceress? You pick one element. Necromancer? All you get is poison and magic- magic was the strong one though. Pally? Magic everything. Amazon? You're playing with lightning. Your gear was Enigma for your chestplate for teleporting on top of things in order to hammerfy them, your pet mercenary would get EBotDZ so he has two auras (two!), and the only quality gear is from a few ladder runewords or set items. If you're a pally, your other skill is an aura.

In fact, per character, the only real choices you had in element were 'are you using frozen orb or blizzard?' If you were going for particular loot or just an area with the max itemlevel, you'd have to pick one to work your elemental strength against- your fire sorc couldn't take the act 2 forgotten basement thinger, and your blizzard sorc couldn't take the act 3 sewer things. You had to play to one strength alone, unless you were a hammerdin, because then you play against everything.

So, to minmax, you've got 2-3 auras and one high damage skill in one element. I'm not sure how this is any different from your perception of PoE.

Actually this is not correct. You can not restrict your self to one element as you will not be able to finish the game because of the monster immunities (so you would with any class need min 2 type of attacks). Also you gear will not be enigma as getting that item means you would need to cheat or dupe as it was literally impossible to get it legit and craft, so a lot of people where using the hack tools to get it (i was one of them that run bot farms and later used the lag hack to duplicate items and resell them on RMT site, from where a lot of this duped items comed from as most people would never see them).

So, as said not same at all as you actually needed to use two type of attack to even do any dmg to monster that are imune

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 04, 2015, 05:51:58 pm »

And does either PoE or D3, or really any ARPG, do full immunities anymore? No, they don't. Because people hated them.

And seriously. You're criticizing PoE for one trick pony builds? Have you ever seen a Whirlwind Barb in D3? Or a Frog Witch Doctor? Or an ANYTHING Wizard?

I get you don't like what PoE does. I just don't think you're articulating what you dislike very well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:53:33 pm by nenjin »

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 04, 2015, 06:36:10 pm »

And does either PoE or D3, or really any ARPG, do full immunities anymore? No, they don't. Because people hated them.

And seriously. You're criticizing PoE for one trick pony builds? Have you ever seen a Whirlwind Barb in D3? Or a Frog Witch Doctor? Or an ANYTHING Wizard?

I get you don't like what PoE does. I just don't think you're articulating what you dislike very well.

They dont, but other arpg games unlike PoE are moving away from one spam skill and actually implementing mechanics where you will go through different skill with different cool downs to do max dmg or replenish mana or other resources. That is not the case in POE, as the game is balanced around one skill. There is no need for sing target, as a 5 or 6 linked items will always do more dmg than single target. There is no need for multiple dmg skills as all skills are balanced around spamming with no cool downs.

The game is flowed with bad design and very simple gameplay at its core. I am criticizing PoE for literally making the game around one trick builds, balancing it around it. I criticizing  it because it makes the game to much dumb and simple, and boring, in the thing that maters most, gameplay. You can have all the complexity in building your passive tree and items, when it all falls down  to one spam skill and 90% of builds using some type of aura and curse with cast on dmg set up. And than some wander why people get bored with PoE and its combat.

I am not even gonna start to talk about abomination that is the focus on economy and trading in a arpg game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 04, 2015, 06:41:06 pm »

Path of Exile reminds me of some Roguelikes in a lot of ways.

In that for the first while in the game you will be happily making your character and the game might be tricky but you get the hang of it and are going through the game at a happy pace.

Then BLAM! suddenly the game pulls a completely new element that exists ONLY to tell you that you should have built your character the way they wanted to (Thanks... *Insert Roguelike here*)

I don't actually have any real ill will towards Path of Exile. Yet once lightning element came into play I sort of knew what game I was actually playing. It is a game of builds.

You get bored in Path of Exile because the proper way to play the game is for it to play itself. Your goal is to reach the point where your input matters the least.

The reason why Diablo 2 was MORE fun, in spite being the exact same game is because there was more to it then auto-pilot. Sure there was the Ice Element's "destroy everything" and the Barbarian's Whirlwind... But outside those you had to maneuver, retreat, take items... and stuff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:43:41 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 04, 2015, 06:42:46 pm »

Like I said. I've played since closed beta, with zero input from anyone but myself, with zero trading, created my own builds and been successful with them. I'm not sure why you're so hung up on everyone else's one trick pony builds, because that's not how I've played or succeeded at the game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 04, 2015, 06:46:13 pm »

Like I said. I've played since closed beta, with zero input from anyone but myself, with zero trading, created my own builds and been successful with them. I'm not sure why you're so hung up on everyone else's one trick pony builds, because that's not how I've played or succeeded at the game.

I'm not.

I think what everyone else is miffed about is ultimately the game is balanced AROUND these one trick pony builds.

I will say... That some builds though are unfairly specific if you want them to work.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 04, 2015, 06:55:48 pm »

So are you talking about atziri when you mean 'balanced around', or just merciless? Because one is optional and the other is a part of the game, and is not nearly as specific.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 04, 2015, 07:59:29 pm »

So are you talking about atziri when you mean 'balanced around', or just merciless? Because one is optional and the other is a part of the game, and is not nearly as specific.

I am making it seems a lot worse then it actually is... But for some builds to function you have to basically memorize the path of often dozens of abilities scattered to the four corners of the earth (ok USUALLY not thaaat bad... Just three corners)

It is a mild miff at best. It isn't like they charge you for respecs anyhow.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:03:23 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 100