Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239509 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - The Awakening
« Reply #975 on: November 05, 2015, 12:06:50 am »

PoE doesn't feel like autopilot, and it doesn't feel brainless, and there's a lot of builds that work and a lot of tools to make them work. Even playing a cold build, my frost snap/ice spear shadow has to do a lot of sidestepping, crowd management, careful initiation, and other matters of involvement.

And then you add in a Nemesis mod pack with something like Corrupting Blood or Storm Herald or whatever those bastards that summon the Blood Elemental Unique boss are, toss in a little health regen and life leech for them, and it's gone well beyond "spam one skill til you win."

Shit, half the Unique bosses in Merciless I have to do a hit and run strategy most of the time that ends up being a blend of 4 or 5 different skills in good, tight rotation in order to win. I really feel like I earn my wins in PoE, versus yet another mindless spam fest that is a GRift run in Diablo 3. It scratches the loot and mechanics itch ok, but provides no sense of challenge other than trying to max out your DPS, and Arcane Beam dodging.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:42:28 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 05, 2015, 10:11:03 am »

Oh, Enigma got pulled in 1.13? Your argument is moot before that patch. Additionally, you'd shaft your build/build strength in the lategame if you specced into two elements, particularly on sorcs, where their goal was more the endgame than getting there, where you'd need the power of a build specialized with one skill or element. You'd finish the game just fine in a multiplayer environment, which is where your farming/bots/RWT would be applied anyways.

All the above argument is moot against hammerdins anyways, they're the epitome of one-trick, one skill pony, and that's why you used them in your bots. Y'sure weren't running sorcs against immunities or a WW barb against iron maiden in act 4.

I'unno. PoE doesn't feel like autopilot, and it doesn't feel brainless, and there's a lot of builds that work and a lot of tools to make them work. Even playing a cold build, my frost snap/ice spear shadow has to do a lot of sidestepping, crowd management, careful initiation, and other matters of involvement. It's not 'follow the gank-wagon' or 'you must go here to kill things because that's what your character does best.'

It's sort of like comparing Doom to Team Fortress 2 and being upset that TF2 doesn't have strafe running or wallrunning or hacks to make bridges you can cross under and soldiers are the cornerstone of every competitive team and never mind the super shotgun.

My arguments stand as enigma is not a problem. You do not shaft your build/build strength because you couldn't finish the game with one type of element attack. You will not be getting enigma or items that you need to make a hamerdin work in the first place (that also can not kill all monsters as there are magic imune ones). I mean, what are you even talking here about? When I run bots, i dont run them to play the game, but to sell to morons that would pay real money. The same morons that now pay items in POE, but unlike blizzard GGG seems to care more about that aspect  as I was banned few times by now.

I mean you here talk about enigma and hamerdin builds like the items that you need to get to make them drop normally, but the drop rates is on level of having few mirror drops in PoE, it aint gonna happen without cheats. The thing I am talking about and you apparently confirmed with your post is that in d2 you could not play the game with using one elemental attack. For barbarian you would need to use Berserk (magical dmg attack) for all the monsters that have immunities or iron maiden. Four wizard you are going two elemental attack, fire, lightning or cold, or all three in most times. You will not be moving anywhere without them. 

I know a lot of people cheated the shit out of the game, i did it mostly so i can famr for the $$$ , but the core game and how its designed is few time better than PoE ever will, from the simple fact you can not kill all the monster with holding your one button like in PoE. PoE is dumb and boring as arpg game, and even d2 that is 10 years old does a better job. While other games go away form spam one skill, PoE is fully embracing it, and its bad and very simple design. Its the core problem of the game that so many people find boring. The most important thing for a arpg game, combat in PoE is the worst. How complex the game is in building character, that much simple and dumb it is in its execution in the actual game.

And the most funny thing is, when people posted problems about the combat in closed beta and how the game is to much heavy on spam one skill, making the combat simple and boring, the hardcore poe players actually didnt want it to be more complex, they dont want to manage or have a reason to use different attack and similar, they want it simple, and apparently GGG is of same mindset, so I dont thing PoE will ever change for better with its core gameplay problems.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:13:22 am by boki »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 05, 2015, 10:15:37 am »

When I run bots, i dont run them to play the game, but to sell to morons that would pay real money. The same morons that now pay items in POE, but unlike blizzard GGG seems to care more about that aspect  as I was banned few times by now.
Aha, so is this why you've been so intent on complaining about the game? Because GGG banned you more than once for bot nonsense? Too bad.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 05, 2015, 10:33:26 am »

I kinda figured when he said he played D2 for money, there was something going on.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 05, 2015, 12:43:17 pm »

When I run bots, i dont run them to play the game, but to sell to morons that would pay real money. The same morons that now pay items in POE, but unlike blizzard GGG seems to care more about that aspect  as I was banned few times by now.
Aha, so is this why you've been so intent on complaining about the game? Because GGG banned you more than once for bot nonsense? Too bad.

Umm, no. I said what is the problem with the game. Did someone banned me or not, doesnt matter, as I was banned from d2 and d3 also, but not as much often as POE (witch is good as GGG cares a lot more about their game). But again it doesnt matter, as I am not complaining about bans, but the problems the game has. I play games to have fun, I bot to earn $$$ on my other comp. That comp is used from arpg boting to MMO boting (from WoW,  to d3 (when there was AH and RMAH), PoE and similar), or any other popular/easy way to earn cash from online games
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:47:05 pm by boki »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 05, 2015, 01:10:44 pm »

You said the exact same argument whether we compared it to d2 or pointed out that you don't have to even pay attention to one trick ponies because they weren't the only thing possible, and then said that d2 was better because it did the same thing you complained about: Do one thing well only and kill you otherwise. If you play games to have fun, and you aren't having fun because of your immense apparent dislike of popular one trick ponies, then go play something else.

The botting just makes you sound lame.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:12:54 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 05, 2015, 01:19:32 pm »

You said the exact same argument whether we compared it to d2 or pointed out that you don't have to even pay attention to one trick ponies because they weren't the only thing possible, and then said that d2 was better because it did the same thing you complained about: Do one thing well only and kill you otherwise. If you play games to have fun, and you aren't having fun because of your immense apparent dislike of popular one trick ponies, then go play something else.

The botting just makes you sound lame.

What did i say what same argument, that in d2 you need to use more different attacks to kill monster, while in PoE that is not the case as you can spam one skill? Did you read what I wrote, because read it again as its obvious you didn't understand it good.

And yes, I am playing something else, not playing PoE anymore (except for boting), because I dont like the boring gameplay, I didnt said I still play the game. This is PoE thread, where people that like the game and dont like the game post about it if you didnt know. And i did exactly that, posted why i dont like the game (as you saw in this thread, several people posting similar problems the game has).

The boting is just a random thing not related to me playing games. It's just work, extra cash, nothing more.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:23:47 pm by boki »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #982 on: November 05, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »

First time I ever finished D2 was by spamming double swing all day all night long.

Theeeeen again I only ever played it on normal.  :P

So, let's talk about PoE - did new updates make sapper shadow any more sensible? Last time I asked iirc traps and mines were more of an addition to your main skill(s) rather than main themselves.

Actually, been thinking about getting back into PoE and I feel like skanking everyone, thinking what might work on shadow. Dunno what I'm looking for, but something... different, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:10:16 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 05, 2015, 05:10:24 pm »

Traps are pretty alright, last I checked sometime in warbands. Didn't get particularly far before trying something else (mostly because I found a unique for a entirely different purpose), but they've got some more skills, and even their own non-multitrap support gem.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 05, 2015, 06:38:14 pm »

Not sure when you last played, but a) the shadow/hunter side of the tree seems to have plenty of trap passives and b) there are lots of support skills for traps these days, including turning other skills into traps.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 05, 2015, 08:25:44 pm »

Traps are alright, but rarely ever make sense compared to just casting it yourself. The damage bonus they give is awesome though, so using them as a single-target boss killer is a good idea. Puncture traps and vaal burning arrow + gmp traps, for example, will eat almost anything. As your primary way of clearing mobs, not so much - the trap limit is horrible.

Mines are useless.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 05, 2015, 08:38:09 pm »

Fire Nova Mine is cool...and still useless, because you have to stop and place it at your feet first. Wish it was a trap.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #987 on: November 06, 2015, 03:07:40 am »

Mines are completely worthless at the moment, if you plan on being able to clear Normal Mud Flats before 2.2.0 comes out anyway. Traps are still ok, but with reflect being removed there's no major advantage to them anymore either.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #988 on: November 06, 2015, 03:34:09 am »

Not sure when you last played, but a) the shadow/hunter side of the tree seems to have plenty of trap passives and b) there are lots of support skills for traps these days, including turning other skills into traps.
Steam says 11.11.2014 so not THAT long I guess...

Thanks for input, everyone though. I wasn't planning on using mines anyway, that need to manually trigger them seems like a hassle, hehe.

Say, what if I built a crit-heavy + traps shadow and put a CoC gem on some trap skill? Awesome/silly?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 06, 2015, 09:25:33 am »

A good CoC setup usually relies on you hitting a lot of targets a lot of times - that's why you typically see people using it with things like Kinetic Blast and Cyclone. I don't think traps could pull that off, but I've never done a build that relies on traps in the endgame so perhaps it's possible.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:27:05 am by Rex_Nex »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 100