Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239527 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Ascendancy
« Reply #1095 on: April 01, 2016, 06:18:15 pm »

I am not commenting "justness" of fees (did you eve read any of my posts at all?). Is something 100$ or 1$ i am not interested. People that dont have to pay anything do have a stake in the conversation. I mean you statment is so out of place, and says a lot about you.  And anyone can post complain and problems the game has. Does he pay or not doesnt matter. Thankful people that also paid post same complaints. No buzzwords, just facts how the game works and the implementation of things

You can post and complain all you want. But I still believe your opinion carries less weight than actual supporters. Because you could disappear from the game as a non-contributor and it would have net zero effect on the game. The same can't be said for supporters whose contributions actually keep the game running.

If your opinions were sound instead of just reactionary, I wouldn't care if you pay or not. But just labeling it P2W when you have in fact paid zero is absurd. There are people like you in every F2P game, who want it all for free and object to anything which costs money, even cosmetics. Public stash tabs are a benefit to me, as a paying supporter. Why should I care what you think when you pay nothing and then endlessly complain and accuse the devs of being greedy? What is your stake in the game? At least a large number of players can say they care because they paid. You care because....you've gotten this far without paying a dime and you're terrified you actually may have to in the future? Boohoo, said everyone who has a job. Are you incapable of paying because of where you live? That I might understand. But if this is simply no one is going to watch your trade spam or use the "refuses to pay for public stash tab" website because virtually the whole playerbase moved on to something better....nope, not really feeling sorry for you or agreeing that the game is sliding inexorably toward P2W.

P2W is not a subjective thing. It is defined from do you get benefits from paying real money compared to other people that don't. Yes this is F2P, and its not a excuse to have pay to win crap in it. And also fact is I do not complain about currency tabs. Complains are more about the trade system put behind a pay wall (I didnt post anything about currency tabs, so less assuming and more reading my posts), a system that is very important part of the game. Currency tabs are a lot less of a problems compared to trade stash tabs.

Yes, it is subjective, because I haven't paid to win yet. It's especially not P2W to many people who actually have money and are willing to spend it to support the game. And even if I had paid nothing, I'd still not consider it P2W. I may be just some casual scrub in PoE but I doubt I'm alone in thinking this is, of all the things they could do, minor. And as I pointed out, maybe even necessary so GGG doesn't shoot themselves in the foot giving players what they asked for: better, easier trading. But there's no room for nuance when you just go "Game's going more P2W, GG GGG, I expect nothing less of you." Then you're just acting like an entitled brat.

The entire argument around trading reminds me of the same kind of complaints around mapping. People go "omg you can't sustain past Tier 11 mapping so broken." My response is..."So you farm some lower level maps or buy some Zana maps until you refill your pool. Big fucking deal." Much the same way top players go "omg if you don't trade you'll get nowhere ever" and I've gotten plenty of places in the game without trading a damn thing.

P2W is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. What matters is how much of the player base feels that way about it and quits playing because of it. Got some player numbers to show me.....?

We are assuming, but my assumption are at least based on the response of the community, both forum and popular streamers, while you on nothing. And also Poe forum are representation of the community, as same as streamers, reedit and similar. All of them are representation of the community. Trying to say it's not is just incorrect. And what community thinks  is directly presented on the forums and other medias where players express their concerns.

And I guess someone that isn't a top PoE player or streamer or a name on Reddit isn't also part of the community? What about the part of community that thinks "the elites" are being giant babies about the whole thing? Oh I guess we don't count because we don't stream. Believe it or not, forums are not the most representative of any game's community. You act as though no one actually is ok with these changes, and there are plenty who are. Enough that I doubt anything will change and you won't even get an explanation from GGG because they don't think the 1% are truly representative of all the community either. Time will tell. Actually it already has. Their April Fool's joke says they're comfortable enough with what they did they can joke about it. (Hint: the joke is at your expense.)

Yes he did complain about putting basic mechanics behind a pay wall. And that's what I said in my post. You even quote it here. "as he did not ask for pay to win and QoL behind a pay wall, but a better pricing for visual items" Not sure what you dont understand. I never said i don't care about the game (again wild assumptions), as apparently I got interested in the game after starting to comment on this thread..

Yeah, just like I only now started seeing "elite" PoE players blow their tops about stuff, and not like I've been watching it happen year after year on the forums. Or like when I was seeing it 20 years ago when "elite" MMO guild personalities would fly off the handle when Everquest or WoW changed something. Outrage is nothing new. That's what players do; get outraged. At least back in the MMO days they actually had to pay for the right to just talk shit about the game they supposedly like. I'm not saying a dev can't be greedy, can't do something fatally stupid to their game. I've seen plenty of it. I just don't see it with PoE. Freaking out at them for finding a new revenue source that is this minor isn't fair. But you don't care about fair it seems.

When they start selling Exalts and Chaos for cash let me know, I'll grab a torch too. Or maybe not. Because I already play plenty of F2P games that sell damn near half the game in addition to letting you play for it and that shit doesn't really bother me either as long as I don't *need* to buy it. To me your "PoE is going P2W" is just kind of laughable.

If it means anything I wholeheartedly agree with you on one point: if they'd cut prices on cosmetics they'd make boatloads more money. That is the one thing about PoE's monetization of the game I've never understood.

I proven factual examples in most of my post, you just dont like them so ignore them.

You've presented two facts. That is a quote from GGG supporting what you said about the importance of trading to game, and identifying some top players who have problems with it. The rest is you stating an opinion and then telling me it's a fact. So no, I don't have to accept them because none of them are facts.

When you start showing me GGG graphs of falling player counts, falling purchases, absurd broken economies brought on public stash tabs (to the point a player like me would care), then I'll laud your facts and adjust my argument. There's nothing factual to respond to in much of what you said other than "GGG said this thing one time" and "some big names in PoE don't like it." Am I missing anything?

There was a uproar of the community when they released the paid stash tab changes. If the game is going in worse direction and more pay to win, no matter who the developer is and no matter is a game free to play, they should be called out on it. Please if you want to continue commenting be sure to read my post, and dont assume things in I guess lack of arguments.

If you want to keep discussing this, quit trying to shove your interpretation of reality down my throat as fact. It's not. I can totally agree that we just disagree about what is P2W, how PoE needs to be played, whatever. But if you're just going to dig your heels in and assert that you know what reality is and I'm just blind and ignorant, don't bother. It ain't worth my time to read or your time to write.

Anyway keep playing the game, not sure why you need to post about it and what you will buy, I guess you are too insecure in all this. But again you are acting like a very standard POE fanboy, and this post just confirms that.

Well, thanks for finally tipping your hand. We're all just "scrubs" because we don't get "the truth" that "the elites on Youtube and reddit" do. Might want to go back and re-read your attitude about opinions and paying for the game, because you're essentially telling me my opinion and the opinions of standard players don't count, or count less, because we're not elite. Enjoy your hypocrisy.

The sad thing is, I can expect GGG to implement crap like that in the game, as how much they focus on the economy part of the game.

Lol, you can't even take an April Fool's joke gracefully. Damn you're so salty.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:57:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 01, 2016, 06:51:47 pm »

P2W is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. What matters is how much of the player base feels that way about it and quits playing because of it. Got some player numbers to show me.....?
As much as its interesting to read this big argument thats gone on, it all comes down to this in the end. Bring some stats or shush, miljan.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1097 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:43 am »

I've been away for a while from PoE and meanwhile the discussion I was partially responsible already died off without me even being involved in it depsite me saying I will. Ooops.

Anyways, so I've been thinking about making ranger character... and I'm really interested in taking Pathfinder as an Ascendancy class later on. But the same thing that interests me also bugs me greatly - how to make this whole play-style around flasks even work?
If I understand the whole system correctly, some flask buffs only last while you are drinking them/recovering life or mana. So for instance using a life flask with "gains 20% attack speed while flask is active" buff would be most sensible when low on life so the buff stay as long as possible... Which leads me it would be better if I use mana flasks with a mana-hungry skill if I want to really capitalize on that effect, right? Or switch to blood magic or something.
At the same time, while skill should be power hungry, it should have great wave-clear so I can fill my flasks back up again as soon as possible... I need to strike some perfect balance between mana consumption vs. mana-from-flask regen. Flasks with slower recovery speed affix?

This may all seem as pretty obvious to some but I always play so I have as little mana related problems as possible so with this play-style I'm really threading a new grounds. Maybe I'm just over-thinking stuff? So my question is what would any of you people suggest for this. Which skill(s)? Ranged or melee? Some (non-ascendancy) skill nodes I should be specifically mindful of?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 17, 2016, 08:30:47 am »

I don't know how you'd work it as a ranger, but if you need a mana-hungry skill, theres always dom blow.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 17, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »

I don't know how you'd work it as a ranger, but if you need a mana-hungry skill, theres always dom blow.
Dear lord don't play dom blow. It got dumped on in a recent patch, and it's still buggy when it comes to Bloodlines monsters. It'll just get you killed in the most frustrating ways.

Instead, just use utility flasks like Jade or Stibnite if you want to keep your buffs up. They only expire when their duration is finished, so you can keep stuff like Nature's Adrenaline and Master Herbalist up fairly consistently by just using those.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 17, 2016, 01:08:55 pm »

I did perfectly fine using dom blow as a backup to earthquake and sunder in the current league up to 55 before being distracted by other stuff thank you, and I wasn't describing it as a primary skill. I was describing it as a mana-hungry skill, which is has always and continues to be.

And if it was actually buggy with bloodlines monsters, they would've fixed it by now, and there would'nt have been a pre-ascendancy build that used it with srs effectively, they've had it mentioned to them plenty no doubt. The answer is bring another skill with you instead and not play in hardcore like a sane person.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:10:29 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 17, 2016, 07:15:33 pm »

I did perfectly fine using dom blow as a backup to earthquake and sunder in the current league up to 55 before being distracted by other stuff thank you, and I wasn't describing it as a primary skill. I was describing it as a mana-hungry skill, which is has always and continues to be.

And if it was actually buggy with bloodlines monsters, they would've fixed it by now, and there would'nt have been a pre-ascendancy build that used it with srs effectively, they've had it mentioned to them plenty no doubt. The answer is bring another skill with you instead and not play in hardcore like a sane person.
Oh, my bad, I thought you referring to using it as a primary skill.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 17, 2016, 07:16:15 pm »

Dom blow as a primary or only skill is still bad, yeah. Sadly.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 18, 2016, 10:47:52 am »

On the subject of P2W, F2P, stash tabs and what not, I have some mixed feelings.

1. When POE was announced and the F2P nature was being explained and discussed, the devs clearly stated "Path of Exile will have only COSMETIC microtransactions.

2. Much of the population of POE exists because they believed those claims.  If it was announced at the beginning that some QOL gameplay features would be behind a paywall, less people would have started playing (I wouldn't have).  The population of the game is a big part of its success.

3. Free players are contributing to the item economy, and many participate in trading despite the problems with trading in the game.  Free players very much have a stake in any conversations about features, if there weren't free players, it would be a very empty game.

4. POE costs money to run.  Free players aren't contributing money to run it.  However, free players joined knowing this was the case, and we were told by the devs that the people who like to buy cosmetic things for their characters would cover it. 

I don't care much about whether it's 'right' or 'wrong', I just care about whether I like the direction stuff is moving in, and if I dislike it enough, I'll stop playing.  I don't like that one thing was said originally "Cosmetic cash items only" and now it's "Also QOL stuff".  Especially when more and more currencies get added to the game, and they're only allowed to be stacked in small quantities.  But pay 7.50 for a tab so you don't have to juggle them anymore!

That's not cosmetic.  That's not seeing the slippery slope in the distance.  We're there, they broke their original promise, and we'd be foolish not to assume it's going to get broken further.  You might say all we have to lose is this game itself, but that's not entirely true.  If we accept that "No P2W" and "You can buy in-game advantages" and "You can only buy cosmetic items" are all the same thing, we won't know in the future whether we need to break out the wallet to properly play a "free" game. 

TLDR do what you want with your game, just don't lie about it.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 18, 2016, 05:06:42 pm »

ok, I've played this since beta and I'm pretty sure that extra bank tabs was always planned and stated as a cash shop item.  If you're finding you need more slots, make some mule accounts, the game is free.  If that's your "pay2win" line, then you're never going to be happy with any free to play game.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 19, 2016, 10:54:51 am »

Oh, I don't know about that.
I like dwarf fortress
I like dungeon crawl
I like toribash

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 19, 2016, 11:19:09 am »

Since when are dwarf fortress and dungeon crawl free to play? They're just plain free.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 19, 2016, 11:24:56 am »

Yes, lets not get free and f2p mixed up here.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 19, 2016, 11:52:14 am »

Yes, they are games (games are played) and they are free.  They are all free to play.  Just because an industry sprung up around twisting those words as much as possible doesn't change the meaning of the words.

Toribash allows you to spend money to buy cosmetic upgrades. 

Here's how they claimed the F2P model would work in POE, directly from their about page: http://www.pathofexile.com/about/
Completely free to download and play. Supported by ethical microtransactions.

Path of Exile is completely free to play - no upfront costs or monthly fees are required to enjoy 100% of the game content.

To fund the development and maintenance costs of the project, we plan to let players purchase aesthetic perks for their characters such as:

Additional character animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
    Dyes and item skins
    Alternate spell effects
    Social pets

We will also offer some optional paid services such as:

Inter-realm/inter-account character transfers
    Character renaming

You’ll notice nothing in the list above confers an actual gameplay advantage.
You'll notice nothing in the list above has the words 'stash' or 'tab' or 'Quality of Life'.   Being able to trade faster, having more slots to store things, having to spend less time screwing around re-arranging your stash are all gameplay advantages.  Small, yes, but in a game with limited time leagues, being able to trade faster and collect more items clearly offers an advantage.

So yes, they lied.  It's a good game. It's worth the price! But clearly they've already departed from their initial promise they used to reel in players who were wary of supposedly free to play games.  Lying is lying.  Feel free to make your own decision about whether you consider it worthwhile, but don't claim they haven't broken their promise.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 19, 2016, 12:48:50 pm »

You'll notice nothing in the list above has the words 'stash' or 'tab' or 'Quality of Life'.   Being able to trade faster, having more slots to store things, having to spend less time screwing around re-arranging your stash are all gameplay advantages.  Small, yes, but in a game with limited time leagues, being able to trade faster and collect more items clearly offers an advantage.

So yes, they lied.  It's a good game. It's worth the price! But clearly they've already departed from their initial promise they used to reel in players who were wary of supposedly free to play games.  Lying is lying.  Feel free to make your own decision about whether you consider it worthwhile, but don't claim they haven't broken their promise.

Answer me this, if I was to play against another player of the same level as me, who had the same items and had played for the same time as me, but who bought every single thing PoE sold, would they have an advantage over me?

I get what you're saying about that there is an advantage by being able to store more stuff and trade more quickly, but you can already store LOADS and create alt accounts if you really, really need it. The portion of players this meaningfully affects is also absolutely tiny. I also understand the worries of a slippery slope, but until it actually has a tangible affect it's not an issue.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 100