Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239609 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Fall of Oriath
« Reply #1305 on: September 03, 2017, 11:14:54 pm »

Yeah, Caustic Arrow sadly doesn't scale at all. It never did all that much damage, but then they made it even worse shortly after 2.0 because of its popularity. It's one of those skills that has been completely outclassed by another, namely Essence Drain (+Contagion). I cant think of a skill with lower damage output, even something like Searing Bond has several orders of magnitude more damage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: September 04, 2017, 11:47:41 am »

Yeah, Caustic Arrow sadly doesn't scale at all. It never did all that much damage, but then they made it even worse shortly after 2.0 because of its popularity. It's one of those skills that has been completely outclassed by another, namely Essence Drain (+Contagion). I cant think of a skill with lower damage output, even something like Searing Bond has several orders of magnitude more damage.
I managed to use Caustic Arrow with Soul Strike quiver (pre-nerf) occultist just fine previously. I believe I had something like 7k dot?

ED/Contagion very much outclasses it though, simply due to it being much easier to find spell damage than chaos/dot/projectile damage.

Elemental hit is practically the rock bottomest of rock bottoms, though. Everything is better than it, especially its improved version, wild strike.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:49:27 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 04, 2017, 11:15:21 pm »

Started playing Harbinger. Figured I should give it a shot at least once. Frost Blade 2-hander duelist. Pretty pleased with him so far. Damage on those Frost Blade projectiles with little to no investment is nuts. Add in some Hypo, Ice Bite, Multistrike, Herald of Ice, Cold Pen....clearing machine. May be the 2nd best clearing build I've made after my Summoner. Rolling an end-game tier damage 2handed axe at like Level 40 helped a lot too.

League is kind of a drag though. Once you get over the novelty of having no currency of back up gear, it's like a solid 30 hours (for me at least) to get the point you do enough challenges to get the first league MTX. The challenges are arranged so you pretty much have to beat the game to qualify for anything. Was hoping I could get some of those sweet league uniques to take back to my standard characters too but it looks like they're gated behind some end-level currency thing in Harbinger. Meh. At least I know how long it takes me to do all 10 acts if I spend an entire weekend doing it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 04, 2017, 11:28:34 pm »

You get the first mtx not too long after you finish the plot, and you'll be really close to 36/40 if you just level to 90 normally, then spend a few hours cleaning up misc things.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 04, 2017, 11:40:14 pm »

Luckily the first tier one is the only one I want.

More it's just - I'm not a fan of re-leveling characters in aRPGs. I didn't like it in D2, D3 or here. So it feels like a chore. Secondly, I look at how many hours I spent on a character I might throw away, when I could have been leveling my standard toons. I don't trade so I can't shoot through the league and get teh broken drops so....league feels like me spinning my wheels for the most part.

Except for those sweet partial currency shards though. Oohhhh lawdy, such content.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:22:21 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 05, 2017, 01:50:25 am »

Yeah, the challenge difficulty hasn't changed too much. 12 is for anyone who puts some efforts into the league, 24 for people who really want the second mtx, and 36 is for people who really want to have their challenges completed, which is usually a portal effect and is not this time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 05, 2017, 03:11:25 am »

I'd say it mostly breaks down as 12 is mapping for a bit, 24 is putting in a few dozen hours on a character in maps, and 36 is doing almost everything. This league the challenges are mostly things that you'll get done if you keep pushing into harder content unlike previous seasons that had huge spikes of rng. The most arbitrary the challenges get is finding a few of the encounters like echoing shrine or corrupting essences, but you'll get them eventually if you just keep mapping.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 08, 2017, 09:45:26 am »

And what about a Crit Dual Clawer build? I always dreamed of making one, preferably CI. But I'm unsure what skill I should go with as my main attack skill, maybe Blade Flurry? It looks nice and supposedly deals more damage than Reave. It's also uncertain how I would scale the damage output -- best support gems for that require red sockets (and much strength), which could be difficult to obtain on an evasion chest.

here's my best attempt:
https://tinyurl.com/y83pqhdj

Please note that my tree is built taking into constideration that I have neither crit gear nor currency to afford it, so I tried to grab as many % increased Critical Strike Chance nodes as I could, probably wasting some passive skills points for no particular benefit (in case I do have some crit pieces, like Maligaro's Virtuosity and Rat's Nest).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:59:49 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 08, 2017, 10:10:12 am »

Do claws still suck? My impression is that claws still suck.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 08, 2017, 10:31:31 am »

I've seen claws get used more recently, but haven't done so personally. They might've become non-suck.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 08, 2017, 03:26:06 pm »

A more defensive version of my Blade Flurry Crit Dual Clawer build:

https://tinyurl.com/yab7adq2

less Crit Chance and thus less damage, but more Evasion.

By the way it occurred to me that I actually could use a shield instead of a second claw, which would give me more evasion, life and resistances (at the cost of a notable dps amount, again) in case I manage to find a good shield, and some 20% block chance (~10% more in comparison with the dual claw version) in addition to dodge and evasion is also nice, more survivability that is. What do you think?

PS does Curse on Hit Support have to be linked with a curse gem AND an attack gem in order to work?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:41:58 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 08, 2017, 04:18:58 pm »

PS does Curse on Hit Support have to be linked with a curse gem AND an attack gem in order to work?

Yes.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 08, 2017, 05:24:58 pm »

Technically it only has to be linked to a hitting skill (ex: it works with Herald of Thunder), but if you're doing attacks its easier to use another attack.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 09, 2017, 04:39:40 pm »

Alternatively, you could use a CwDT skill. CwDT - Ball Lightning - CoH - Curse of choice is very popular, you just have to be quite mindful of your gem levels to keep it working properly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 09, 2017, 05:47:49 pm »

Yeah I find CwDT a little too finnicky when it comes to its attack utility. Often can't maximize the attack gem because of CwDT. It's easier to balance with defensive skills since you don't need IC maxed to get a lot of benefit out of it.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 100