Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089169 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has the beta started yet?

I was told previous subscribers would get beta invites when it started in march...of last year

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't believe so. The game has had it's ups and down in development. Just give it time. They appear to be a decent way along with things.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They presented F2P as a different game, which it pretty much was.
This is an idea I had as a solution to the issue. Upgrades and the like can be purchased, but there are separate servers for entirely free play and where you can use things you purchased. That wouldn't really work for this, though, because if you only paid to get that one really cool gun you wanted, you're going to die to the people who bought the most powerful guns, upgrades, etc.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope cloakers can still do all their old tricks and more.

Loved being an invisible bastard going around jacking camping magriders showing barnies how bad arsed they look in red and black... for about the 5 seconds it took for the vehicle to decon, whilst I surged away, taunting.
Stabbing snipers in the side with a melee boosted knife on silent
Planting trip mines next to enemy spitfires, watching the enemy walk past and BOOM! One smurf down.
Sticking boomers high traffic zip lines (ones which skimmed the ground were the most fun, it was like skeet shooting)

And most of all: Hunting MAXes. Find an AA/AV max camping a hilltop, sneak up behind him, plant a HE mine under his legs. Boom and then finish them off with the stinger. Vanu were easy because they would always fly straight up in the air (expecting another mine to be layed), TR were screwed if they bolted down. NC were a bit harder because of their shields, typically used burst fire or second mine planted in front of them (most would spin around and backpedal right into the second mine)

Didn't rack up XP the fastest but god damn it was good fun!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

They presented F2P as a different game, which it pretty much was.
This is an idea I had as a solution to the issue. Upgrades and the like can be purchased, but there are separate servers for entirely free play and where you can use things you purchased. That wouldn't really work for this, though, because if you only paid to get that one really cool gun you wanted, you're going to die to the people who bought the most powerful guns, upgrades, etc.

They solved that with "Total Level: X" servers. Though that really meant that higher leveled players could voluntarily segregate themselves from weaker paying members. They could still stay and ruin the newly P2P member's shit.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

If you're doing a F2P server and a P2P server, then the game really changes because there's no more issue.  Everyone is either free, with the same free handicaps, or everyone is premium, with the same full game.  That removes microtransactions entirely and makes this whole argument pointless.

Since PS2 will be using a microtransaction system, then you must discuss the balance of what the transactions do, not F2P+P2P ideals.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

AFAIK they are used to buy reskins. Cockpits with hearts everywhere and zebra camos are just examples of this.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Yes, thank you, that's already been brought to attention.  But people are now going on about having separate servers for free and premium, and we know that's not going to happen so that discussion will lead us nowhere.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note the thread title.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

people are now going on about having separate servers for free and premium, and we know that's not going to happen so that discussion will lead us nowhere.
I noted the possibility and how it will not happen. Segregation of F2P and P2P players simply doesn't work when the payment is for microtransaction upgrades. Reudh noted how it could actually work out, but not with distinctly separated servers. We know that the only purchases will be skins, not upgrades. Discussion has led to new insights, and is pretty much over already.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile

It's been a while since we finally gave up trying to hold ground for the VS on Emerald or whatever the server was called.

As for the new Planetside, I'll probably play Vanu again but it depends on which side is grossly outnumbered to be honest. I just liked learning how and where to move around in a small unit of hardcore infantry whom the TR and NC could rely on to back cap their bases and raise hell during off peak times. Didn't have to be a great FPS player, just had to be persistant and a team player.

This was all before the BFR age and that godawful (imo) expansion.

Perhaps there will be a resurgence of the Lightning Tank. Zippy, tiny.. practically useless against real tanks but sneaky and dangerous to ANTS.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note the thread title.

The edited thread title.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which was edited to say that F2P discussion is not derailing anymore...

Anyway, I'll definitely play Planetside 2 if I've got the rig for it. I looked up its predicted specs, and i should be able to play it on my current computer at minimum.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Hmm, new ps2 thread. PTW for now. It's the only AAA title in production that can capture my attention, for now.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

Note the thread title.
The edited thread title.
Note: I edited it.
Hmm, new ps2 thread. PTW for now. It's the only AAA title in production that can capture my attention, for now.
I agree. Now that there is no Skyrim or Diablo 3 to be hyped about we only have PS2. Also, because no serious gamer is seriously hyped about Black Ops 2.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 826