Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084909 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any idea when Open Beta is going to happen? I would love to do Closed, but I don't have the time right now to jump through hoops in order to get a chance at a key.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110391.0

I'll be on-server awaiting ludicrous combat.
If you've got some time now, this game is like 1MB size and pretty fun.  Someone's got a dedicated server and I'm thinning the bots a little right now.

Cheers for the invitation, but sadly, I had already logged off the forum. Busy busy times and it is only now starting to clear. So, I might pop up in that game in a few weeks. Mayhaps PS2 might be open beta by then! ... A NC recruit can dream.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile

so i found out i have the april pc gamer issue...so i'm in the beta...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile

Supposedly there is going to be an announcement next week regarding the beta.  Hopefully that means they will give us an actual date, instead of 'a few weeks'.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's funny that they have to announce that there will be an announcement.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is one thing im wondering about, and that is if we are going to recruit from the game too?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I dont think we'll do that.
Except if we screen them so we dont get dicks in our group.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

> Implying Bay12 isn't composed of dicks.

We'll have to recruit from the game.  The dwarves won't stay on.  We'll gt a few regulars and a lot drifting in and out, probably not enough to keep an outfit cohesive.  B12's biggest downfall is that many people leave a game after a week or two, and then the rest quit because they have no one to play with.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And we will also get more DF players too. Hopefully.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats actually not what i want (more DF players).
Expirience tells me that a big community is certainly not always a good community.
But i dont really care too much.
As long as i can play with a few dorfs and some other fun guys, i'm fine.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

As long as we screen them to keep the idiots out, it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

> Implying Bay12 isn't composed of dicks.

We'll have to recruit from the game.  The dwarves won't stay on.  We'll gt a few regulars and a lot drifting in and out, probably not enough to keep an outfit cohesive.  B12's biggest downfall is that many people leave a game after a week or two, and then the rest quit because they have no one to play with.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. People on here tend to... get bored easily? The Bay12 empire Starborn Dominion on Shores of Hazeron lasted a month or two before largely falling apart, for instance. Later attempts to found new empires gained no traction. (Tymas survived and prospered for the most part by recruiting from the game's population itself, when it was felt necessary, until most of the longest-playing players mostly quit all at once - the ones who hadn't quit earlier, anyways)

That said, it's possible to make a faction which lasts, but I wouldn't make it bay 12 exclusive or name it after bay 12 if you want it to last, and it needs a dedicated leader and a method for leadership to transfer in case the leader leaves (and in case other leader designates leave or prove incapable of leading effectively). (Starborn Dominion's worst problem was that Paul left, along with the second in command, leaving nobody able to do much of anything in the empire at all except in their own individual solar systems)

E.G. It needs a system of leadership transfer like the USA or the Twelve Colonies in Battlestar Galactica.

There's also the tendency for bay12 groups to be more disorganized, IMHO. Of course, that can work well in some games, where people see something needs doing and they do it. But in something like Planetside 2 having people volunteer for particular branches of a military, or participate in more than one if necessary, could be useful, as well as having both tacticians and strategists pondering how best to improve how the outfit performs - and obviously keeping the game fun for the players.

One problem I tend to foresee is nobody guarding bases because it's boring and unglamorous. However, it may be possible to use air supremacy (e.g. lots of planes in the air, scouting, ready to report hostiles and engage) to find and eliminate incoming enemy aircraft (galaxies and fighters) and tanks. The main issue then might be infiltrators sneaking into a base undefended by infantry, but a rapid reaction force using gal drops could respond to them if it's too late to respawn at the base.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, defending and flanking by the enemy is going to be a major problem. (if we are the winning faction)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Defending is just boring, the attackers have a bit of advantage there.

Flanking?  If I can get people in my squad who will actually be in my squad and remain cohesive, I'll flank circles around the enemy, literally.  Well, I suppose that's the only way to flank...  Just need players with a mote of patience who will suit up and wait until the whole squad is suited up.  Rushers will always just die.  It's the ones who wait long enough to roll en masse that end up winning.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

So the thing about groups going inactive is that groups aren't big enough to always have some people on. So nobody knows when someone else is gonna be online, and nobody bothers showing up until others show up. It's a deadlock.

What we should do is "squad nights", where everybody tries to be online at the same time every week. Even if half of the people can't make one particular event, there's always critical mass for doing something. At the very least, have some laughs with a few others.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's actually a Vanu Alliance between various already-existing vanu outfits, for coordinating overall strategy and such. Not sure what server they're going to be on (probably the american server?), but obviously that's the kind of thing which would be useful so different outfits don't end up working at cross-purposes. There are also defensibility considerations dictating the worst and best places to take territory, and whether it might be wise to cede territory that was unwisely taken (e.g. a thin strip of territory running between the two other empires, so bases in the area are constantly under attack from both), rather than try to defend it, as trying to hold them just wastes manpower that could be better spent elsewhere (unless there's some extremely compelling reason to hold them).

Edit: Squad nights might be useful, but another thing to consider is having something like that at different times on different days, since not everyone can be on at a particular time, or on particular days.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:03:39 pm by Shadowlord »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 826