Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089573 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3885 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:37 pm »

I love it when a VS Infiltrator stands still and lets me hit him/her four times to get the kill.

Still loving the HA with the default and upgraded LMG - don't need any better weapons.

Edit: Also; kill 12 VS = 2 certs &
                repair 3 phalanx turrets from the ashes = 1 cert.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:47:18 pm by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3886 on: November 14, 2012, 03:03:29 am »

Me (HA, got the drop on him): "Ahaaa!" *DAKKADAKKA*
TR Infil: "Huh?"
Me: *DAKKADAKKADAKKA, DAKKADAKKA, DAKKADAKKADAKKA* (<-- notice burst fire, fuck yeah)
TR Infil: "Oh." *Shotgun*
Me: *dead*

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: November 14, 2012, 05:37:57 am »

Me (HA, got the drop on him): "Ahaaa!" *DAKKADAKKA*
TR Infil: "Huh?"
Me: *DAKKADAKKADAKKA, DAKKADAKKA, DAKKADAKKADAKKA* (<-- notice burst fire, fuck yeah)
TR Infil: "Oh." *Shotgun*
Me: *dead*
yeah their repeater pistol is also like a smg sometimes.

Also some whispers on grapevine. Shotguns for Engies and some NC classes only. No more Infiltrator Shottys...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: November 14, 2012, 07:33:22 am »

So, we need to set up times when everyone is on, 'cause I'm always on there alone (my compu time is usually 8:30ish to 10:30ish EST, after the kids go to bed).

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: November 14, 2012, 07:43:53 am »

I wouldn't mind finding out if we can at all form at least a Squad on one server, and be the group that maintains the PUGs that many Outfit groups will ignore or rarely control/direct. The problem is with the current Outfit I am in is that the Leaders are the "Look, I am getting tons of EXP from this, I don't care if 50% of the platoon is getting slaughtered or anything like that, cause I am getting shit." And then look at the map and wonder why the whole place is under the control of the TR and the place that they have had their platoon/outfit hold being the only damn place that the NC own...

I decided to run a Platoon, ignoring the general orders and rules of the Outfit (need a certain rank to lead apparently) and mainly had a few outfit guys work Squad leads while I got everything under control with the PUGs, the Offical Outfit platoon was holding a Bio Lab and the Enclave (TR Outfit) had pretty much pinned them in there. I took my PUG platoon, and after a bit of Iron Handed Orders I got back nearly 50% of the map then came in and took the Ground level around the Bio Lab back from the Enclave group stationed there to keep the NC there Pinned. After that the leader of the Outfit came on, jumped into my Platoon and said that he didn't want to lead, but cause he was there many of the Outfit joined, I think I got in trouble from the other leads dispite the main leader willing to hand me the platoon lead...

We ended up taking back all of TR's land and cornered them into their Warp Gate before I was called to work early...

Of course, Outfit lead prob took the Credit there, I haven't been allowed to lead again and I feel that I am not even "welcome" there any more...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: November 14, 2012, 08:02:14 am »

I wouldn't mind finding out if we can at all form at least a Squad on one server, and be the group that maintains the PUGs that many Outfit groups will ignore or rarely control/direct. The problem is with the current Outfit I am in is that the Leaders are the "Look, I am getting tons of EXP from this, I don't care if 50% of the platoon is getting slaughtered or anything like that, cause I am getting shit." And then look at the map and wonder why the whole place is under the control of the TR and the place that they have had their platoon/outfit hold being the only damn place that the NC own...

I decided to run a Platoon, ignoring the general orders and rules of the Outfit (need a certain rank to lead apparently) and mainly had a few outfit guys work Squad leads while I got everything under control with the PUGs, the Offical Outfit platoon was holding a Bio Lab and the Enclave (TR Outfit) had pretty much pinned them in there. I took my PUG platoon, and after a bit of Iron Handed Orders I got back nearly 50% of the map then came in and took the Ground level around the Bio Lab back from the Enclave group stationed there to keep the NC there Pinned. After that the leader of the Outfit came on, jumped into my Platoon and said that he didn't want to lead, but cause he was there many of the Outfit joined, I think I got in trouble from the other leads dispite the main leader willing to hand me the platoon lead...

We ended up taking back all of TR's land and cornered them into their Warp Gate before I was called to work early...

Of course, Outfit lead prob took the Credit there, I haven't been allowed to lead again and I feel that I am not even "welcome" there any more...

That... is rather lame. Not what you did, amazing job there, but the Outift people. they have, at most, a few months of experience over anyone in game, a bit pompous to be all "only we can lead because we made the outfit, hoho HO!"
*grumble*

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: November 14, 2012, 08:07:11 am »

That... is rather lame. Not what you did, amazing job there, but the Outift people. they have, at most, a few months of experience over anyone in game, a bit pompous to be all "only we can lead because we made the outfit, hoho HO!"
*grumble*
I know, I am thinking bout leaving the Outfit, but I don't really want to go Lone Wolf/go Rogue. As I said before though, wouldn't mind at least 12 folks here with a Voip system (Heck Steam would do) to help me in wrangling PUGs into deadly forces. Maybe a Merc Group of the NC...
The Outfit lead always compared that the other people on the Server did shit in defending the areas compared to the Outfit, despite his preference to find a Tech/Bio/Amp/Defendable Fort and sit there for the whole day...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: November 14, 2012, 09:03:02 am »

I went to the East server as it seems to perform better for me slightly.

I also have been playing TR on that server. Their guns are sweet. I'm going to pick up the semi-auto NC sniper rifle if it is moderately priced nowadays. Other than that I just do much better at longer ranges with them. On that day where everyone got a lot of extra certs, I was lucky enough to be online when they refunded an additional amount of certs to make up for ones they accidently shorted some players previously or something. Not a big deal at all since everyone received 2000 certs. However since I heroically managed to be in the gameat some point in the span between the two patches that day, I had time to actually spend the first 1000 cert points (on three characters), bringing the total awarded to me to 3000 (on each character).

On my TR character on East, Gargamal, I used the points to obtain the two round burst Combat Medic Assault Rifle for long range. At that time it could only use Soft point ammunition and normal ammunition. It was a poor to mediocre weapon, especially having to switch to normal ammo when targets were a longer ranges appropriate for a 6x scope. Now that they've allowed High Velocity rounds instead it's much better at what it's supposed to be good at. It's no sniper rifle in that it requires many more hits to kill, but it works well enough at ranges that most people short of an infiltrator will not be able to outperform you.

Also on the Combat Medic, I unlocked both levels of C4 when it was cheap. C4 is great. It's especially good on Light Assault but it's useful on every class that can unlock it due to it's versatility. For a while it was eating all of my infantry points when I was playing on West as NC. Sometimes with light assault you can fly above a group of people taking cover behind something  or around a corner and drop C4 on them and float away to push the button on touchdown.

Now though my infantry points are being spent on the Medic's Revive grenade. It seems strong at first, but then you realize there is a reason that pile of corpses died in the first place. I'd say if the grenade revives 4 people at once, maybe one will survive if there is still an enemy there to shoot at that group of revived friendlys and that one was probably either the first or the last to get up. It's quite worth the certs though. The area heal grenade could be useful, but I find myself using the revive grenade so often on the piles of friendly corpses you see sometimes that I often run back to resupply if it's nearby just to restock my one revive grenade. I think the area heal grenade would be good if paired in a preformed squad with a second medic who uses the revive grenades.

I have the first level of Triage. Unless they fixed it with the last patch since I reported it, it gives broken amounts of experience points. It is however extremely limited in it's use as it's somewhat uncommon to be in a vehicle with a legitimately wounded by the enemy person as usually they will seek medical help or vice versa in the short time before a convoy moves onto the next target.

I also unlocked all the underbarrel attachments for the two round burst gun to test them out. The smoke launcher is by far my favorite. It's such a great tool for the medic to have. It just seems to work so well. For instance I snuck around some random hill NC and TR were fighting over when being medic. I was using that rifle and deployed a sunderer behind their lines, and a half dozen reinforcements spawned there. We climbed the hill we hid behind and there was the NC firing line milling around like ants and all looking the other way at close to clip range. Most of the assault classes moved forward in the rocky, hilly terrain as the infiltrator and I shot from long range and killed a half dozen NC or so between us before we were noticed and a few infiltrators started returning fire. We killed a few more, mostly the ones shooting back, then I laid down the first smoke grenade close to their hill to block their sight but not close enough for them to run into immediately, and then put the second one directly into their firing line. Everyone on my side of their hill ran down out of cover towards those clouds of smoke and shot anyone who stumbled out of them. When the smoke cleared I saw the NC line wavering due to the TR on the other side rushing in, took cover from the NC's fire, saw their sunderer exploding, and finally after killing a few more NC I took a sniper shot to the head and was revived about 15 seconds later from a medic who came from the other side of the hill from me.

Underbarrel grenade launcher I didn't use much. It seems pretty good though as far as trajectory. It depends on how much damage it does and the blast radius; I don't know about either. I'd imagine it's quite useful though. It's difficult to aim at range as you only have one shot before reloading but I'm sure it would come in time.

Underbarrel shotgun I used a few times but it wasn't very good. It's a bit too clunky to be practical for anything but using with a knife on an unsuspecting opponent. I'd assume knife first as that would theoretically be harder to land. I'm unsure how to make it better, to be honest, without making it too strong. Someone on the Planetside forums had a good idea though; just make it an alternate keypress and have it fire near instantly like how a grenade throw is triggered.

My thought was maybe shotgun pellets could be really good against shields but weaker against armor than rifle rounds and have slugs be the opposite as a way to balance shotguns. That way it's versatile.

Flash turbo is so much fun. It would be nice if the ATV model changed with it's addition. I'd suggest a small rocket engine in the back angled so that it looks like it's propulsion forces it downward relative to the ATV to explain why the ATV can literally cover all terrains (walls and ceilings)

I've jumped the stairs in the warpgate diagonally, corkscrewed to land the wheels on the ceiling; continued driving at 90kph on the ceiling until turbo ran out, backflipped around and landed on the Flash's wheels on the ground due to hitting a bump on the ceiling at the last second. Great fun. Some day I intend to run over a Vanu that way and have someone witness it so I can win the game.

I also put points into the Prowler. First level of Stealth Armor, HE turret, and the Vulcan gatling gun. The gatling gun is incredibly effective when used for suppressive fire. It doesn't kill very much at long range but even there it makes infantry want to hide. At close range it's good enough to take out heavy assaults when they pop out of cover for rocket usage. The bullets are very slow and have a large drop to them. It has a 300 round magazine, and with about 5 certs your tank can hold 1k+ rounds. If it wasn't so worthless against distant aircraft due to the huge bullet drop and slow projectile speed, it would be overpowered. Now it's just a pretty good weapon that no one likes because it's 1: expensive and 2: no one wants to gun it for long either because they don't know how to use it or because suppressive fire can be boring (but not to me)

Me shooting the Vulcan:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:38:33 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: November 14, 2012, 11:27:18 am »

Also some whispers on grapevine. Shotguns for Engies and some NC classes only. No more Infiltrator Shottys...
This so much.
Give them a weak machine gun. But not a fucking shotgun.

[Edit]
And they have to do it NOW. If they do it after release, there will be enough whining to cause a major earthquake.
[/edit]

On TTK:

The low TTK doesn't really bother me. A higher TTK makes a game more tactical on the player versus player level (eg TF2) but a low TTK is better for games like this, with loads of players.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:52:10 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: November 14, 2012, 11:46:28 am »

I dont think there is going to be much of a change in the time to kill...well...maybe not since they made aircraft resistant to other aircraft's main guns, it used to be a 0.3 second from 100% to 0% if all bullets landed.

As for the anti infantry turrets on main battle tanks...all factions have scary anti infantry, NC have a shotgun that can kill 30M out in a single shot, TR's vulcan was already mentioned, Vanu have the light PPA which will 2 direct shot infantry and has nieh infinite ammo(0.5 seconds in between shots, 75 magizine, 400 reserve, so equal to about 4 minutes of non-stop fire) and also has aoe splash(5M) damage which is slow to kill(6 shots of near miss will kill) but it will make most infantry take cover from it.

I do like the compression of the vehicle performance options, yea, it makes it a bit cookie cutter, but there realy was only 2 or 3 options that most people picked and left the rest alone.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: November 14, 2012, 11:50:13 am »

I've discovered that straffing tanks is rather effective with the nose cannon on aircraft. You are also really easy to hit with a tank cannon at that point, however, so you should probably break off when you see it swing towards you...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: November 14, 2012, 11:51:40 am »

Oh, sorry if it's a bit misplaced. I ment that they should change the inf shotty.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: November 14, 2012, 12:07:59 pm »

Oh, sorry if it's a bit misplaced. I ment that they should change the inf shotty.
as far as i'm aware it is completly gone from the infiltrator because its too easy to stealth behind an enemy and take them out before they can react, running around as a medic with a shotgun has gave me a 7.4 k/d ratio yesterday mostly because i would rush right into the middle of a group of enemies who would be too scared of hitting a friend so i end up taking most of them out(few cases of playing ring around the rosie with the enemy sunderer racking up kills because any enemy in my line of sight was also within 1-2 shot kill range with the shotie)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:12:23 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: November 14, 2012, 12:24:43 pm »

I like this new update.
CTR+TAB for switching tabs, and the loading screen looks awesome now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3899 on: November 14, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »

I've discovered that straffing tanks is rather effective with the nose cannon on aircraft. You are also really easy to hit with a tank cannon at that point, however, so you should probably break off when you see it swing towards you...
Hilarious when they do this to me in my lightning before realizing that I have a skyguard equipped and then BATATATATATATABOOM
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 826