Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small questions about invaders.  (Read 9191 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Small questions about invaders.
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

I was just wondering if invaders can breed in the fort if left alone long enough? (I remember reading somewhere that wild animals can, so i thought i'd ask). I'm assuming the answer is no, but if not, I was hoping to breed some Kobolds for some arena/zoo project, and I thought breeding them would be quicker than waiting for them to show up to be trapped. Also, can invaders die of old age? I'm pretty sure they won't die of hunger or thirst. And (yet another) thing, how old do kobolds live to? Answers to any of these questions would be appreciated.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small questions about invaders.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:02:18 pm »

I guess invaders can breed if any two of them are married, given path to each other and given anough time. Never happened to me or to anyone I know though and it should be incredibly rare. Invader kobolds can't breed at all because they lay eggs but can't use your nest boxes. I'm sure invaders can die of old age althoug I never seen that too. According to the raws, kobolds die naturally in 150-170 years.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:11:36 pm »

Thanks :). Oh well, I'll just have to catch them the manual way, and my forts have never lasted longer than 5 years, so old age shouldn't be a problem. I suppose once the're caught I could make an artificial habitat underground by channeling it down to expose my pit to the sun before covering it up again, maybe add a few lakes/rivers using pumps, or some tiny wooden huts, then leave my little Kobolds to do whatever it is Kobolds do in their spare time. How hard do you think that would be?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:18:05 pm »

well definitely harder than stuff them all into one bottomless cage as i always do.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:48:37 pm »

well definitely harder than stuff them all into one bottomless cage as i always do.

Yes, but he's trying to breed them, which doesn't happen in cages.

Removing the LAYS_EGGS token (and its children) from the Kobold entry in creature_standard.txt in your save file would allow you to breed them. You would of course also want to tweak the BABY and CHILD tokens so that they don't take twelve years to mature, if that matters to your purposes.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:30:31 pm »

I use the Masterwork mod, so I can't say what all it's changed, but... I had a caged enemy Elephant Warrior give birth to calfs that were tame, I'm guessing she came pregnant. They wandered around my fort for some time before some awful thing happened to them.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:20:15 am »

I use the Masterwork mod, so I can't say what all it's changed, but... I had a caged enemy Elephant Warrior give birth to calfs that were tame, I'm guessing she came pregnant. They wandered around my fort for some time before some awful thing happened to them.
If those Elephant warriors are uncivilized creatures (can you butcher them?) then they can mate regardless of married status abd should thus breed fast. afaik no one enters map pregnant, even historical figures from worldgen.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 01:20:22 am »

FYI, wild animals do not breed. I've had 3 wild Deer, 1 of them male, trapped inside my walls for about 6 years now, without a single fawn.
Oh, and pathing/proximity is irrelevant. All DF creatures inseminate by spores: If they're tame, alive, on your map, and of the correct genders (and, if they're dwarves, married), then they WILL produce offspring. I believe male dwarves can still impregnate their wives even while tantruming/melancholy/berserk.
Cages render everything moot: They stop breeding and (except for caged dwarves) hunger/thirst, yet strangely, wounds will heal while in cages. I think of them as akin to the Ghostbusters's ghost traps: It just sucks things into a state of suspended animation in which the victim still has a sense of time passing.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 02:00:31 am »

FYI, wild animals do not breed.
I've seen wild bugbats breed several times actually.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 03:12:01 am »

FYI, wild animals do not breed.

The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them. (My only "access" to the cavern is a fortification).

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 03:24:44 am »

The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

If I might be allowed to sig that?  {Wildly OOC, but that's the best type}
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:21 am »

If I might be allowed to sig that?  {Wildly OOC, but that's the best type}

Go ahead. Being a non-native speaker and very very tired doesn't help to make exact statements. All the better if it makes any sense, even if not intended :-)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 03:39:44 am »

FYI, wild animals do not breed. I've had 3 wild Deer, 1 of them male, trapped inside my walls for about 6 years now, without a single fawn.
Oh, and pathing/proximity is irrelevant. All DF creatures inseminate by spores: If they're tame, alive, on your map, and of the correct genders (and, if they're dwarves, married), then they WILL produce offspring. I believe male dwarves can still impregnate their wives even while tantruming/melancholy/berserk.
Cages render everything moot: They stop breeding and (except for caged dwarves) hunger/thirst, yet strangely, wounds will heal while in cages. I think of them as akin to the Ghostbusters's ghost traps: It just sucks things into a state of suspended animation in which the victim still has a sense of time passing.
Wild animals definitely are able to breed in latest versions, that was observed many times. Having [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] means animal will breed in fort mode, regardless of actual taming status. Pathing issue is relevant to breeding of married civilization members and not animals, but I'll admin that I didn't test that, just read on these forums.