Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089537 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4110 on: November 22, 2012, 11:14:38 am »

I decided to duck onto the Australian Server, and dropped in as a Light Assult...

Racked up 10 Certs within half an hour as I plucked them off one by one from above... It was beautiful, I literally ran out of bullets with each reload taking down 2 people at least...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4111 on: November 22, 2012, 11:33:47 am »

It must be a controller or something.  My actual problem right now is the guns and range.  This is an open world fucking shooter with long distances between combatants, and the guns can barely hit somebody 50 feet away.  I have better aim than these guys.  Either it's just the starting guns that are like this (which is bullshit, how am I supposed to get the good guns if I can't kill anything, and don't say be a medic, because that's not fun and making you do boring shit to get to the fun is the single worst thing a game designer can do), or all the guns are like this, in which case I may as well stop playing now.

I dunno.  As it stands right now, my time on the game is about 80% frustration at various stupid aspects of the game, and 20% "holy shit this is awesome."  I'm not a Call of Duty player and I only occasionally play Counter-strike, so I'm not one to sit there and rage while I play a game I hate.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:35:27 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: November 22, 2012, 11:37:53 am »

I fly with a mouse, it's easy than a joystick to target ground units with. The only time I use the joystick I have is when im evading scythes.

I don't believe that xbox 360 controllers are actually compatible with PS2, unless they added that recently.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: November 22, 2012, 12:12:12 pm »

PS2 controllers work perfectly now. They didn't for a while, but are just fine now. Aiming with a mouse does seem to be a bit easier though, but switching controls for Evasion/combat doesn't work well for me, so I just go with less accuracy and stick to my 360 controller.

As for the recoil. it seems just fine. If you need more accuracy, most of the guns have a single shot mode that will let you fire shots one at a time with much better accuracy. I can reliably hit people hundreds of meters away with just the iron sights in single shot mode with the LA carbine... Unless they're moving, of course.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: November 22, 2012, 12:41:09 pm »

Im preatty sure the first shot in a burst has 100% acurracy, becouse i dont use fire modes and i can still hit people at absurd distances with the HA.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: November 22, 2012, 12:51:48 pm »

What I really want to know is how people can fly these fucking planes.  Is there some kind of neural uplink peripheral I haven't heard of?  Because there's no way people are flying these things with a mouse.

I use the mouse.
A few tricks I've learnt:
a) Keep lots of space  around mouse hand clear, you'er going to need to make wide sweeping gestures a lot.
b) Use all the buttons for flight! tweaking aim with the yaw, using a mix of yaw and roll + pitch up for wider turns. Spacebar is your best friend (increase altitude). When straffing ground targets, I'm usually holding space to prevent myself from just slamming into the ground and increase pull up/manuver speeds.
c) Know when to disengage. If you're being shot from behind, evasive maneuvers, fly low, and boost the hell out of there. Always know where your nearest safe zone is.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: November 22, 2012, 01:19:37 pm »

It must be a controller or something.  My actual problem right now is the guns and range.  This is an open world fucking shooter with long distances between combatants, and the guns can barely hit somebody 50 feet away.  I have better aim than these guys.  Either it's just the starting guns that are like this (which is bullshit, how am I supposed to get the good guns if I can't kill anything, and don't say be a medic, because that's not fun and making you do boring shit to get to the fun is the single worst thing a game designer can do), or all the guns are like this, in which case I may as well stop playing now.
I'm going to say be a medic (or light assault, iirc they share the same guns) anyway, because their guns tend to be pretty accurate.

What I really want to know is how people can fly these fucking planes.  Is there some kind of neural uplink peripheral I haven't heard of?  Because there's no way people are flying these things with a mouse.
I use the mouse.
A few tricks I've learnt:
a) Keep lots of space  around mouse hand clear, you'er going to need to make wide sweeping gestures a lot.
b) Use all the buttons for flight! tweaking aim with the yaw, using a mix of yaw and roll + pitch up for wider turns. Spacebar is your best friend (increase altitude). When straffing ground targets, I'm usually holding space to prevent myself from just slamming into the ground and increase pull up/manuver speeds.
c) Know when to disengage. If you're being shot from behind, evasive maneuvers, fly low, and boost the hell out of there. Always know where your nearest safe zone is.
I'd like to add use spacebar even while you're just cruising, it's a noticable increase to how fast you're going and all you have to do is nose down a little bit to counteract the upward movement it gives, which also gives you a better view of the ground. Also turn your mouse sensitivity up, I'm not entirely sure how much it helps but dogfighting is all about doing things quickly so not having to move your hand half a metre to turn around (which you do a lot) is a good thing.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: November 22, 2012, 01:20:51 pm »

Im preatty sure the first shot in a burst has 100% acurracy, becouse i dont use fire modes and i can still hit people at absurd distances with the HA.

Maybe not 100%, but the first few shots in a burst definitely have very high accuracy. Firing in bursts is essential - even with a compensator, the HA will have a very tough time hitting, never mind killing, anyone after firing the first few bullets. It might help that I'm NC, and their feature is high damage per bullet, but you can semi-reliably snipe people even with a HMG if you fire one shot at a time.

Also, unrelated but awesome way to gain EXP: spawn as Engineer and spearhead an assault on a major outpost with a Sunderer (with deployment upgrade - seriously, why isn't that a default ability?). You'll get 2 EXP every time someone spawns on your Sunderer, a reliable stream of EXP from repairing the Sunderer, and a flood of kill + kill streak EXP from using the vehicle guns to kill anyone that counter-attacks. Plus, you get the satisfaction of being primarily responsible if/when your team actually conquers the outpost.  :D

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: November 22, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »

I'll drop into mattherson, as that's where most people seem to be.

E:
NC, MrMiauw is my IGN, add me.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:03:04 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4119 on: November 22, 2012, 02:16:57 pm »

I dunno.  As it stands right now, my time on the game is about 80% frustration at various stupid aspects of the game, and 20% "holy shit this is awesome."  I'm not a Call of Duty player and I only occasionally play Counter-strike, so I'm not one to sit there and rage while I play a game I hate.

Which faction are you playing? General consensus is that the NC's weapons, while able to do more damage, can't hit jack. If you're looking for more finesse with a NC or TR gun you're going to have to upgrade - Adding a forward grip to my Gauss rifle cut back on a significant amount of recoil in ADS. I can actually hit things consistently now.

The accuracy is still poor at medium to long ranges, though.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: November 22, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »

I typically play as an NC medic, and I can snipe things with the default gun. What I don't know, however, is if switching to semi-auto actually increases accuracy somehow or not.

I just got enough cert points to unlock the vertical grip before the serba went down though, I'll try it out with the grip. Mainly want to focus on upgrading the medic gun at this point...

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: November 22, 2012, 02:53:48 pm »

do we have an outfit set up on any of the servers yet?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: November 22, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »

I typically play as an NC medic, and I can snipe things with the default gun. What I don't know, however, is if switching to semi-auto actually increases accuracy somehow or not.

Unless you have a really fast clicking finger, semi-auto slows down your ROF. Slower ROF means the gun's recoil has more time to be compensated for before the next shot, which means every following shot is more likely to fly straighter and hit the target.

I used to mouse spam on automatic guns in some games even with a gun that's already automatic just because taking my finger off the trigger for a split second was enough to reduce the recoil some, even when my fire rate was the same. I'd be the guy sniping snipers with my assault rifle because I could outpace their rate of fire and nearly match their accuracy.
Nothing important here, move along.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: November 22, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »

I've played a bit with NC Infiltrators, need to try a VS one. The emphasis on accuracy, sleeker aesthetics and frickin laser beams nature of their weaponry appeals to me slightly more.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: November 22, 2012, 08:29:54 pm »

Have you ever hit an enemy plane with your drop pod?  I have.  It didn't do any damage but it knocked him off course.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 826