Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089521 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

It's for people who want to be all srs bsns.

Hmmm.... I keep thinking about this.... thinking about making an outfit and calling it "Chain of Casuality". 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still want to play... Starting to not want to though due to the ESF Spam. Before they were fun to fight against, now they are everywhere, you aim at one he is gone within a few seconds of shooting at him with Bursters, another is already Rocketspamming you, you can't aim at this one cause the Explosion of Smoke and Fire blocks all sight..........

Really getting to be more painful and less fun then anything....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Word on the grapevine is that rocketpods, ESF armor are both getting slight nerfs. Skyguard is getting a buff.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Word on the grapevine is that rocketpods, ESF armor are both getting slight nerfs. Skyguard is getting a buff.
I miss being on the Grapevine, even if it was just a leaf...
I hope they do, I really am getting tired of it all. Just walking in the open now days has you more worried about that random ESF Rocketpodding you then a Sniper or a Surprise Tank...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Yeah, rocketpods are horribly OP.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, rocketpods are horribly OP.
TBH its not the Rocketpods damage or anything like that for me...

1: The Explosion - Can't even focus on the Craft firing them cause the explosion fills your sight.
2: The Craft's Armour - One full Clip of Duel Bursters? LoL nope, I will disappear quickly if anything. Libs I hate the most for this, not even 3 Duel Bursters can kill a Lib.
3: AA damage. What does the word Anti mean to these people? Throw rice at the birds to scare them away or throw stones make up your mind.
4: Rocketpod Defenders on the forums. Wouldnt even know HOW to play Ground AA if you forced them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I recall a video interview in which one of the devs openly stated that they didn't want to make ground-based AA a hard counter for air, to avoid turning any hex with AA in it into an automatic no-fly zone. The goal, as I recall, was to make it a way to kill people who are stupid or take risks (hovering in a Lib, doing a low & slow rocket run, etc.) without instagibbing any fliers in range. He also specifically said that the thing they want to see countering Air-to-Ground is Air-to-Air; a fighter set up with missiles and so forth rather than an AA Max.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I recall a video interview in which one of the devs openly stated that they didn't want to make ground-based AA a hard counter for air, to avoid turning any hex with AA in it into an automatic no-fly zone. The goal, as I recall, was to make it a way to kill people who are stupid or take risks (hovering in a Lib, doing a low & slow rocket run, etc.) without instagibbing any fliers in range. He also specifically said that the thing they want to see countering Air-to-Ground is Air-to-Air; a fighter set up with missiles and so forth rather than an AA Max.
No thats not what I meant.
A Hovering Lib is NEVER in danger due to their height and their armour...
A ESF can get out of range/sight of a AA Max at least 90% of the time unless alone. This is cause when an AA Max can not see all the sky (outside) the ESF can disappear behind the building and into the distance, if he is alone though the Max is free to move around outside without fear from other ESF coming along and popping him easily...

To be honest though even a Hovering ESF can disappear well before an AA Max could make use of his Bursters (the moment he is hit he disappears) or hears the lock on start from a AA Rocket. If its not a flyer though the ESF is compleatly safe all the time...

Saying that Air can only be counted by Air is the dumbest thing they can ever choose cause then it will result in what is happening now, Air dominating due to the fact they can Kill Ground with little worries and Swarms coming that can not be removed due to their ability to disappear and reappear fully repaired, which also means you need to have as many or MORE Aircraft to match them cause smaller numbers will be picked off easily...

Let me put it even more clearly. If I have the ability to shoot down an ESF with a Rocket cause its let itself be Locked on and they don't have flares or get behind a bit of terrain before it hits. I EXPECT IT TO EXPLODE FFS. I don't want to see a dink, Punish the people that take Risks and hover there like it should heck... Look at this Trailer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlJieqRMngc
At the time of 35secs or so you see two Scythes fly past an AA HA. The one on the right is locked on as you can tell, not the left which is damaged. IT BLOWS UP IN ONE HIT...
Do you know why, cause all it fucking did was fly in a straight line in the open skies at a low altitude giving the AA HA plenty of time to lock onto it.
THAT IS WHAT I WANT...

I don't want to Trail a ESF for 10 Seconds trying to keep it in the damn lockon sight to only get the damn thing to half health and watch it bug out into the distance before I can even get a second lock on, if I wanted to shoot rockets, I would stick with the basic and shoot at tanks, they at least make sense when you shoot them with rockets, they can't up and disappear into the sunset like ESF can and they have a good reason to be able to take a few rockets, unlike and ESF that should be made of Light Weight Metals and not covered in 1000thick armour which just gets dented when a rocket hits it...

I just expect to be able to Punish the Risk taking flyers that is all I want. I want to see them go down in one hit cause they let me hit them...
They can pop me from above without me knowing, they get alerts if they get targeted damn it...

One Battle was totally decided by a swarm of Mozzies, a couple of Libs and a single squad of infantry today, the Mozzies had us unable to move while the Infantry sat on the points. Libs were bombing the doors and Mozzies were blowing up everything that came to help..
. Nothing anyone on the ground could do to remove even half of them...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Yeah. Pretty what Nevyn said.

(I had something to add, but i forgot what it was.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Being bad at this game reminds me how the KDR for every game averages to 1.
At least I know that now someone must have a 10:1 KDR, to balance my 1:10.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Being bad at this game reminds me how the KDR for every game averages to 1.
At least I know that now someone must have a 10:1 KDR, to balance my 1:10.
That would explain why there is this Cheating Fuck on Briggs with a KDR with 201, how many deaths has he had you ask? 79. Over 10000 Kills...
I want to know how he is doing it if he is not cheating. Chances he is cheating? PRETTY HIGH...

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Balancing air vs ground is extremely difficult, I think that defensively, air is pretty decently balanced now, maybe the skyguard needs some more oomph but otherwise the time to kill aircraft is pretty decent, I think.

The big problem with air is the ESF rocket pods, I think. They're infringing too much on the liberators role in combat since they make ESF's extremely potent against ground units. What I would do is just remove the dumbfire rockets as they are now and refund station cash to people who bought them. Replace them with a single relatively slow, high-damage missile with a long reload time that can lock on to tanks or be dumbfired. It wouldn't have very large splash damage, so killing infantry with it would be difficult. This would prevent ESF swarms from completely locking down bases, since AA maxes would not be completely unable to aim due to rocket explosions everywhere.

Doing it this way means that the most effective way to deal with infantry would be to get close and use the primary. This requires a good deal of finesse and is very high-risk, so infantry would not be murdered in droves by ESF spam.

The liberator should really be the ground bomber, not the ESFs.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The cheating is happening, but luckily for the most part it's a small portion of the very large community. Look at the leaderboards, I found a guy with a 400:1 K/d with 15,000 certs last week. I inquired to the devs about it and they investigated it. A friend at SOE(same one for years) told me that they have done a couple of hardware/IP bans but for the most part they are just tracking the cheats right now. SOE employs several dedicated game security professionals but in the end, hack sites will always win.
Luckily, the only really harmful hacks are the most obvious ones, like stabbing and shooting through walls. Radar hacks and even aimbots don't give an overwhelming advantage most of the time.

EDIT: I love the idea of removing dumbfire rocket pods from fighters. Maybe add something like a single fuelpod drop or something to give a limited ground attack option.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:21:40 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

So downloaded it, went into Cobalt as NC because a friend plays there. Fooled around for 20 minutes without the slightes hint about what is going on (biggest thing I hate with MMO's, there's just so much information that gets dumped on you it takes a while to adjust and learn what means what)

Then game started stuttering like crazy while one of the tanks was glitching out spinning around like crazy while half stuck in the grund/buildings.

This will take a whle to learn I think :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't get the kneejerk response of calling this game and other free games "pay 2 win".
Is there another free 2 play model I'm not aware of?

Sure, take a look at what Turbine did with Lord of the Rings Online.  (At least, the way it was a year or so ago - haven't played in a while)  You started with full access to the 3 starter zones, and earned Turbine Points for many series of achievements, such as number of quests in that zone, number of kills of x critter, etc.  For the rest of the world, you only had physical (virtual?  heh) access to the zone, but couldn't do any quests or earn any type of achievement, until you bought access to that zone.

It was entirely possible, and had been done, to earn enough TP's to buy full access to every zone, and to buy the expansions.  But you had to work at it.  If I remember, a single zone quest pack would cost around 500-1000 TP's.  And you might be able to earn 200 with one character, on one server.  But then you could make another character, and once you hit the character per server limit, you could switch servers and make more characters.  But it was work, and would take time and effort.

Or you could just spend cash to buy TP's (looks like right now, 1550 TP for $19.50).  But it's all your choice of which route you want to go.

EDIT:  How to Earn Turbine Points  I was wrong on the numbers, and it looks like you can earn 1470 TP's per character.  This link has a pretty good breakdown of what's possible.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 826