Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089287 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's relatively easy to distinguish betwen a Reaver, Mosquito, and Scythe, buteach faction's liberator and galaxy are identical except for slightly different paint jobs which can be hard to see at a distance. When I use a skyguard I usually fire one, maybe two bullets at something far, and if it's friendly I find something else to shoot, and if it's foe I continue shooting.

Then again from my experience a liberator can 2-3 shot a skyguard while staying outside of its range if it's flying high/far enough. Rather annoying. A skyguard can pretty much lock down an entire sector though, it's pretty satisfying. You don't even usually get many kills unless the pilots are dumb, but they all run away if they don't foolishy try to engage you with those dumb rocket pods.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't even usually get many kills unless the pilots are dumb,
And this is why No one plays AA, No rewards for clearing an area unless you kill something and chances are you don't kill anything is very high...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I've seen plenty of videos of people getting lots of points playing AA... in their fighters.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've seen plenty of videos of people getting lots of points playing AA... in their fighters.  :P
Yep. G2A AA is useless tbh. It might as well not even be there considering...
They got down on that Air counters Air shit too much...

Its like looking at a Medieval game and saying that Mounted Kills all infantry and only other Mounted can counter them. Ignore the fact that Horsemen were killed in droves by Spearman and Spearwalls, Infantry can't kill a Horseman...

Infantry are a versitile group of men, they can do alot more then what people think. BUT The way SOE has handled AA makes it impossible for Infantry to do anything. Please someone remind them that AA means Anti Air...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I do think it would be good if they took out that armor you can cert into that reduces flak and small-arms damage; infantry should always be able to ping aircraft with their LMGs and rifles, at the very least, even if they're doing very minor damage. Better still (if they don't already have it), variable damage based on the hit location, possibly even extending to being able to damage pilots directly through the windscreen.

3. Run Resize Enable

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

You can ping ESF, and the damage is only minor/trivial.  The fun is seeing the pilot hit the afterburner, jink and roll as they try to avoid being hit, then they look at how much damage they took and swear.

Also, near the end of the Beta, (or has it ended, are we still doing it?), I stopped trying to hit craft with the AA launcher, flares and afterburners made it pointless to try.  However, it was still an effective tactic to lock-on just to drive the jittery pilots into a panic and they'd jet away.  but for 1k certs?  No, not worth it.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile

The ideal Free 2 Play model is one where paying only gets you cosmetics or "side-grades" that focus on customization rather than upgrades.  That business model may be less likely to generate profit, but it's much healthier for the game experience.
So horse armor, basically. It sounds like a great way to bankrupt a company.

I actually like Battlefield's model. It does have paid upgrades, but there's a "Daily Draw" that gives you a small chance of winning special weapons or accessories (either for a day, a week, or permanently). I find myself logging in religiously to see if I can win something, where otherwise I may have let the game collect dust. It has the added effect of letting people preview upgrades, adding incentive to buy. If money didn't matter, I'd definitely buy one of those holographic sights...

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is there a AV engineer turret? because the wiki says there is but I can find no evidence for one in game.

I actually looked this up on the forums... apparently, there used to be an AV Mana turret, but it was removed. Rumour has it the turret might be re-added in the future, but for now, you're stuck with the machine gun.  :(

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The deal with side-grading aside, I really like what they've done with this by making only the base gun frames (and certain vehicle bits) unlockable with real cash, so you still have to play to get scopes, grips, class upgrades, and so forth. Granted, it does smell a little of p2w with the vehicle weapons, but I've read just as many reports from complete F2P players saying that they're getting 80ish certs per hour on average and that unlocks aren't much trouble as I have bitching about p2w. Personally, I like the idea of not being able to unlock everything in the first week of gameplay; it gives a sense of progression that is much more real. Though I still maintain that if you're playing a FPS with the goal of unlocking every single upgrade rather than for the sake of having fun goofing around and shooting people, you might be doing it wrong.

3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

The ideal Free 2 Play model is one where paying only gets you cosmetics or "side-grades" that focus on customization rather than upgrades.  That business model may be less likely to generate profit, but it's much healthier for the game experience.

Other companies have done it, League of Legends being a very prominent example.  Successful examples are admittedly rare in the western gaming world, but it's actually very common among asian online gaming companies.

I've read just as many reports from complete F2P players saying that they're getting 80ish certs per hour on average

Jesus fuck, I'd like to know how.  I've put over 20 hours into the game, and have made around 360 certs total.

Also, like I said originally, you can make an argument for the weapons being balanced.... but the character upgrades for utility and ability slots and the like are significant linear upgrades.   But I just double-checked, and that stuff can only be bought with certs.  I didn't notice that until now, so it's not as bad as I thought.  It is frustrating how expensive the weapons are, and I do feel like they're upgrades.  I've fooled around with trials of the more expensive sniper rifles, and my accuracy more than doubled with them.  It's only a moderate gripe at this point, though.  I think I will look up what it takes to make certs roll in quicker, because the rate I'm experiencing feels glacial and extremely frustrating.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:45:26 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I haven't actually played in a while. It was extremely fun when I first started playing the beta... but it's not anymore.
Nothing important here, move along.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

League of Legends does it pretty well, and Riot doesn't seem to be in any danger of going bankrupt any time soon.

I haven't actually played in a while. It was extremely fun when I first started playing the beta... but it's not anymore.
Yeah I feel the same way, I probably wouldn't be playing at all if my brother and his friends weren't dragging me on to play it. I used to find it quite fun to play, but I'm finding it very frustrating and irritating right now.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I dunno about getting 80 certs per hour, but I can normally get about 100 per session if I really wanted.

It's a bit gimmicky, and not particularly fun after awhile. But basically you just ignore the whole team dynamic and go after major capture points. So if your team is about to capture a biolab or something, just jump in and grab free certs. Then hop on a plane or ATV and follow the map to the next free capture point. Rinse and repeat.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I bet the people who are getting 80/hour are paying for membership and boosts.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno about getting 80 certs per hour, but I can normally get about 100 per session if I really wanted.

It's a bit gimmicky, and not particularly fun after awhile. But basically you just ignore the whole team dynamic and go after major capture points. So if your team is about to capture a biolab or something, just jump in and grab free certs. Then hop on a plane or ATV and follow the map to the next free capture point. Rinse and repeat.

...eh. Hardly the best way to get certs. A major capture is worth 1000 XP, which I believe translates into 2 CP. Minor captures are a mere 250 XP, or half a cert. Even if your team is making a lot of captures, I can't see this being a fast way to earn certs - and any solution that is both boring and inefficient isn't worth bothering with.

You're better off farming kills or support points. Kills are 100 XP each, plus a potential +10 headshot bonus, plus occasional bonuses for ending an enemy kill streak, plus bonuses for you getting a kill streak. Get ~4 kills in a life, and with the bonuses, you've just earned a cert. Support points are also nice - reviving a soldier grants 75 XP, and the soldier comes back at low health, awarding another 40 XP if you heal them back to full. Alternately, an engineer can get ~150 XP from repairing a destroyed generator or turret, making amp stations an awesome source of loot.

Or, ya know, admit that you're having fun with the game, decide that it's worth $20, and buy the weapons you really want. Sure, it's nice that everything can, in theory, be available for free... but I'm quite willing to drop $20 on a game that could easily have been a AAA release at $50-60. Think of the F2P mechanic as a really awesome demo (something that you don't see a lot of games releasing any more), and suddenly the pricing of items starts to make sense.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 826