Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089407 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Frequently I hit people with rockets and kill them in one hit. I presume they are a little damaged already but then often it's medics and snipers who behind the lines that die.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile

Rockets can be pretty decent anti-infantry, though a good gun is better in most situations.

I don't think I've ever managed to kill infantry with a rocket, and I've landed several (appeared to be) direct hits.
I haven't played since release -just the beta- but I've had a number of kills with rockets. I'm pretty sure they one-hit anyone without flak armor (maybe flak armor is just very popular). In fact they're my main tool against snipers when I'm playing Heavy Assault.

If your below a certain range (usually point blank), rockets don't seem hurt infantry. Not sure if its a bug or WAD though. (WAD could be if they were going the realism route of RPGs not actually arming untill a certain distance after being fired)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Nope; it's just that they don't really hurt infantry when you miss. Rocket explodes next to your feet, you take almost no damage; a direct hit will kill all but a max (and even those are left with about 20%). I've even been killed with full shields and health and heavy's invulnerability shields up with a single rocket. Before I got some certs for my vs heavy's primary, my standard tactic was to fire a rocket at the enemy first, then if they were still alive, shoot them in the confusion. They most certainly will 1-shot people with a direct hit.

Vehicle rockets, on the other hand, have huge splash damage and are a major pain for infantry. A heavy rocket is pretty impotent against a large group, whereas a vehicle rocket will take out everyone.

If you want a 1-shot kill on infantry with the heavy rocket, you aim to hit them; anything else will just serve to give away your position. Making it great for people who aren't attentive to their surroundings, but with whom you don't want to risk a proper firefight.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

Infantry rockets are designed to focus the blast to be able to pierce enemy armor. Having a wide blast radius would be counterproductive to that aim. At least in real life.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Infantry rockets are designed to focus the blast to be able to pierce enemy armor. Having a wide blast radius would be counterproductive to that aim. At least in real life.

This.

PS2: 1
"Tactical" shooters: 0

"LOL AT-4 is an ideal anti-infantry explosive weapon"  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I forgot to change my class and was medic, literally the worst class to be a sole soldier in the middle of a firefight between two hostiles.

This literally made me laugh.

That's total bullshit, for me, Medic is my favorite infantry class. I've ramboed as medic tons of times.

Don't know why it's the worst class.

For the situation I was in it was hellabad. I drop podded onto the roof of the Bio-Dome, inside defending TR forces, outside and on the landing pad are the invading NC and you tell me scout is not the worst option there?

Anything else and I could get more then 4 kills. Infiltrator just take potshots and cloak, light assault I can move to higher ground and just pop out for a kill then back to the untouchable roof, engineer could have gotten down to walkway and planted turret and mowed em down and heavy I could actually rambo.

I'm not saying medic is worst combat class (though I rarely do go medic), but I am saying for the situation I was in it was the worst.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Techplants...
HATE THEM...
They need to swap the locations of the generators. Put the Shield outside and the SCU inside...
Give the Defenders more reason to leave the base and defend the exterior like all other bases...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Today I learned: A drop pod, when landed on an aircraft, will cause that aircraft to die. There was a swarm of mosquitos; one was landed and with at least enough health it wasn't smoking. On my way down in the drop pod, I spotted it and landed on it. It exploded and I was credited with the kill. So remember folks: "Redeploy" is a synonym for "Anti-Aircraft Orbital Strike"

Anyone know if this works for tanks?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

It should, but I'm not sure.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True, but it's generally hard to make a rocket that doesn't have a significant blast radius. The RPG series is pretty good against infantry concentrations, assuming the rocket hasn't become warped, in which case it'll aim like a crazy cheap firework.

In all seriousness though weapons in the future just seem to really suck.

Warfare in the future seems to kind of suck too, it really feels a lot more like I'm playing in some kind of lasertag-esque battleground theme park than a real warzone... I understand that's essentially what's happening here, it's just that immersion might be a bit nice. The depiction of the future as shown in this game seems to be one of a future where three sides endlessly throw soldiers into their infinite and irrelevant doom while corporations profiteer off of the arms trade. It can be a little hard to get into it.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone know if this works for tanks?

I think it does damage, but does not kill them from full health, they have quite a bit more health than fighters. Drop pods used to do more damage, I killed a full-health liberator late in the beta with one, but that's no longer possible (you'll only do damage and die).
Entropy is not what it used to be.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

The depiction of the future as shown in this game seems to be one of a future where three sides endlessly throw soldiers into their infinite and irrelevant doom while corporations profiteer off of the arms trade.
I thought you said it was unrealistic. :P

But yeah, it does feel a bit over-gamified. Though I suspect it's better than the alternative of watching a more realistic future-dogfight taking place between 2 fully automated jet aircraft which are 5 km apart from one another. The problem is, humans just aren't cut out for modern wars.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:19:02 am by alway »

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I understand that's essentially what's happening here, it's just that immersion might be a bit nice. The depiction of the future as shown in this game seems to be one of a future where three sides endlessly throw soldiers into their infinite and irrelevant doom while corporations profiteer off of the arms trade.
I just gotta point this out, but. There's only one corporation in the game. Nanite Systems. They make nearly everything. Their logo appears so much it's unreal. That zigzag shape on the lightning? That's their logo. It's also the logo that appears for that split second when secondary bases are neutral.
Judging from where I see their name come up, I suspect that the NC is just a front group, created by Nanite Systems who maintain their "neutral" standpoint. Just look at the profits they must be making by doing so.

That does make me question why the NC are fighting the TR while the VS are present... Though perhaps they initiated their little plot a bit too soon and the VS emerged afterwards.

...And that's my conspiracy theory. I'll just leave that there and move swiftly onward. :P
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

More questions:

Why does VS have super-advanced tech when all their stuff is made by Nanotech (i'm just going to call it nanotech, fuck you.), Nanotech must have vanu technology too. Then the next question is: Why don't NC and TR have Vanu weaponry trough Nanotech?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I understand that's essentially what's happening here, it's just that immersion might be a bit nice. The depiction of the future as shown in this game seems to be one of a future where three sides endlessly throw soldiers into their infinite and irrelevant doom while corporations profiteer off of the arms trade.
I just gotta point this out, but. There's only one corporation in the game. Nanite Systems. They make nearly everything. Their logo appears so much it's unreal. That zigzag shape on the lightning? That's their logo. It's also the logo that appears for that split second when secondary bases are neutral.
Judging from where I see their name come up, I suspect that the NC is just a front group, created by Nanite Systems who maintain their "neutral" standpoint. Just look at the profits they must be making by doing so.

That does make me question why the NC are fighting the TR while the VS are present... Though perhaps they initiated their little plot a bit too soon and the VS emerged afterwards.

...And that's my conspiracy theory. I'll just leave that there and move swiftly onward. :P

If one goes by the initial trailer featuring the NC light assault, that seems likely, given that the VS show up in force near the tail end of a devastating battle between the NC and TR.

More questions:

Why does VS have super-advanced tech when all their stuff is made by Nanotech (i'm just going to call it nanotech, fuck you.), Nanotech must have vanu technology too. Then the next question is: Why don't NC and TR have Vanu weaponry trough Nanotech?

The way I took it was that the shared stuff (Lightnings, Liberators, etc.) were all produced by Nanotech. The NC (probably) and TR (possibly) special stuff as well. The exception is that the VS are newcomers to the playing field, ones that Nanotech likely didn't expect; they've drawn their faction tech from a source completely unexploited by Nanotech and just happen to also buy from Nanotech to fill out their selection. That, or Nanotech manipulated them as well in order to properly develop Vanu tech, and are intentionally keeping it out of the hands of the NC and TR because they'd likely be able to overwhelm the VS (read: Nanotech's proxy R&D group) without any new benefits.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 826