Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089640 times)

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so, new patch, tech plants now have the generators outside the shield in various buildings around it... so partly what some one else said.

Also, can now make other characters on the same server.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You guys realize that the factions are just clones with rewritten minds to give them a fighting purpose and that Nanite Systems is using Auraxi(the planet) as a testing ground for weapons and recording the action as entertainment for other worlds?

or at least that is what seems most fitting considering gameplay.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

so, new patch, tech plants now have the generators outside the shield in various buildings around it... so partly what some one else said.

Also, can now make other characters on the same server.

YES! YES!

E:

Wow, that's probably the best theory, Ivefan...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Ivefan's explanation is now canon, because I deem it so.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Makes me think of that Doctor Who episode, with the two clone armies that have been in a long gruelling war with each other, and no one living remebers even what the war was about. Then
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

That also explains why they all have the same voices.  :P

And the technobabble rezzes; they aren't bringing you back to life, they're just decanting a new clone.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the Enclave wasn't putting up much of a fight when we were crushing them this morning, but it turns out this patch introduced something even more entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suc-JfhQy0E&hd=1

Nothing compares to seeing it in person though, so get in game before they patch it out.

Bonus magrider vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1MW3iNTSc

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

'Dem silly-legs.  :P

But yeah, the magrider's cliff-climbing ability is one of the reasons I was considering going VS for my first character.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But yeah, the magrider's cliff-climbing ability is one of the reasons I was considering going VS for my first character.
after loosing the stronghold due to magriders climbing 70-80 degrees slopes i felt that tanks should get a nerf in that.
And yes i say tanks because apparently the prowler can do the same to a lesser extent.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Honestly, the magrider's got an excuse in that it uses some form of agrav to levitate. As long as the agrav can counter the force of gravity trying to pull the tank down the slope and the slope isn't steep enough for the magrider to go head over heels, it should be fine. Its advantage is supposed to be mobility, after all, especially given that it uses a fixed-mount gun rather than a turret. Being less constrained by terrain seems like the sort of advantage that makes sense for NS, anyhow.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, the magrider's got an excuse in that it uses some form of agrav to levitate.
And as an counter argument you could assume that the agrav would be directed downwards from the chassis and would flip the tank over if it actually attempted to climb a slope at that degree.

That the magriders got a fixed mount isn't even a disadvantage because that means they can always have the front to the enemy.
I'm not denying the mobility, they can strafe and they can dodge well, just don't let them(and other tanks) climb places where vehicles shouldn't be able to go.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Because they couldn't possibly put the a-grav units in swivel mounts. It's not as if a similar mechanism is already in use in all of the VTOL aircraft in the game.

I don't see how a fixed-traverse main cannon is an advantage over a turret in any way, shape, or form, given the mechanics of the game. The advantage you're citing is related to the a-grav propulsion (which allows the magrider to strafe without exposing side armor, unlike tracked vehicles). The only advantages a fixed-traverse battery has over a turreted one in real life are that the join between turret and chassis can be comparatively weakly armored, something that clearly isn't modeled in the game; and that a fixed-traverse gun can generally be higher calibre due to the increased space and stability available. Neither of these apply in the game.

It's bad enough that games like this force the "owner" of the tank to be driver, gunner, and commander all in one, but with the magrider you can't even sweep for contact without swinging the whole tank around. If you're already facing an entrenched enemy but want to check your flanks, that means you're moving the frontal armor and giving enemies shots at your sides. If you're on the move, you can't engage anything not directly ahead of you without stopping and turning the entire tank.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they couldn't possibly put the a-grav units in swivel mounts. It's not as if a similar mechanism is already in use in all of the VTOL aircraft in the game.
And in that case the tank would fly rather than levitate.
As far as i see it, there is two possible mechanisms behind the levitation.
  1# A force that counteracts the planetary gravity. In which case the terrain wouldn't matter as the tank would basically be flying.
  2# A force that pushes against the terrain underneath. This could use a swivel mount but taking the design of the tank in consideration I would say that a large part of the "wings" would contain the a-grav, possible multiple emitters that would exert various force to cope with variations in the terrain. In this case I doubt that the a-grav emitters or what ever function there is would be able to exert force at an angle capable of traversing such high degree slopes.

Anyway, I just don't want tanks to go mountaineering like spiderman like this.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:02:14 pm by Ivefan »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

I decided to catch up with my squad by spawning on a squad beacon someone had put on our front line. I turned to eat some of my snacks, turning back just in time to watch my pod drop right into the back of a friendly Galaxy with seven people in it.

After some hasty explanations, I managed to avoid getting booted from my outfit. Not two minutes later, someone else showed up with a galaxy, which another friendly promptly destroyed with their own drop pod.

It was hilarious.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

I've seen mag-riders use the terrain like ski-jumps so they can get on top of buildings, this then makes them immune to the random engineer who might want to use a pack of C4.  Imagine a Mag-rider sitting on the defensive walls of a tech-plant or wedged into one of the towers.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 826