Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089736 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

I'm on Briggs. Discovered the Certificate's use for 'perks' in the classes only last night.
Now that actually explains things a bit.
To think I was just loving to chuck grenades and do nothing more...
Need more grenades.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

Assault rifle, the GR22 has much higher rate of fire and slightly higher accuracy but significantly lower damage per bullet and slower reload. It's best used in close combat against smaller numbers of enemy, as against larger numbers you are liable to be caught reloading/run out of ammo. Unlike the default, it can be equipped with soft point ammo for higher damage but reduced accuracy at range.

Carbine, the AC-X11 sacrifices large fire rate, small reload speed, small accuracy and 1/3rd magazine size for much higher damage. It is best used for longer range engagements, particularly if you get the high velocity ammo, forward grip and compensator.

LMG, the EM6 LMG has reduced damage but much higher fire rate and reload speeds. It is good for suppressing an area and close range ambushes.

Sniper Rfile, the LA80 has improved accuracy and faster bullet speed so less drop, but lower reload speed. I generally see no reason to use the default over this.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Thanks, that explains alot.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

How many people play on the Miller server here?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Vanu Light Assault are ridiculously powerful and nobody would be ashamed of dying to a Solstice. Though I'd suggest upgrading to a Solstice SF for the high-velocity ammunition and attached grenade launcher. Your health is also the exact same as all other classes besides the lower hp infiltrator afaik, with only the Heavy benefiting from an additional shield which means you need to shoot first and go for the head if possible. Vehicles are going to be your problem UNTIL you unlock 2 blocks of C4. Then you become the most effective infantry class for sneaking in behind tanks and tossing those things on their rear. Hit trigger = Dead Tank.

The only real problem LA have atm is the occasional Jetpack bug which hasn't been fixed since beta. The only solution to when your jetpack won't work is to relog.
-For the solstice, I say I was firing from nearly 100m away, from the bottom of a aerial reload tower (those with 4 pads for airship ammo) to someone at the top of it, and he died.
-Yeah, maybe I have the same health than everyone, but I still die awfully quickly. My fault, no doubt.
-I was pondering upgrading to SF or not (I heard people telling me not to, but the additionnal upgrades tempt me), but the fact is that I haven't nearly enough certs anyway. (it's 500 certs I believe. I must have 80 at the moment). Same goes for C4 (It's the next thing I'll buy. ASAP.).
-This bug. THIS BUG.
-For armor, I use shield reload. As a light assault, I either die instantly or escape with only shield damage. This allow me to wait less time in cover and move on sooner.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-This bug. THIS BUG.

Worst time to discover you have it is when you've already jumped off the air pads on a tower.

"I'll just float on ov-AIIIIEEEE!" *splat*

-For armor, I use shield reload. As a light assault, I either die instantly or escape with only shield damage. This allow me to wait less time in cover and move on sooner.

Yeah, same set-up here. It's not much but might as well play to the class's strengths with hit and run.

EDIT: Almost forgot, but consider a shotgun if you favor close combat. Those things are awesome.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:57:57 pm by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

I can kill people reliably now but now I keep getting killed by people who arent there. I have no idea where I'm getting shot from and why I can't seem to stop what they're doing.

In small scale I get killed from nowhere and in large scale I get killed from nowhere.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Welcome to planetside 2,we hope that you enjoy your stay

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

How many people play on the Miller server here?

That's the server I've been playing NC on when I've been able to. (old comp creaked along at 15 fps in small firefights, totally froze in large ones, still new parts arrive tomorrow).
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

I can kill people reliably now but now I keep getting killed by people who arent there. I have no idea where I'm getting shot from and why I can't seem to stop what they're doing.

In small scale I get killed from nowhere and in large scale I get killed from nowhere.
It happened to me (and not only me). A TR guy, apparently hidden in the wall of the teleporter building of vanu archives (the one down). He got 27 kills and nobody ever understood where he was. We kind of pinpointed his position from our deaths, and it was within a freaking wall.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay I finally got me rocket pods, damn are these things OP. It's silly how effective I am versus even heavy tanks and sunderers, as a light aircraft. Hit em with a full 12 volley then finish them off with some close range shotgun bursts (what's the name of the weapon, NC second light aircraft primary). Frankly it's stupidly op, I'd expect to take on lightning tanks easy but this...

Still getting shot to bits by A2A rockets though, they're so cheesy and skilless and flares only prolong the inevitable against a half decent pilot. I guess it sort of compensates for the OP rocket pods, but really I think light aircraft combat is at a bad spot right now. So far I've found actual dogfights to be more or less nonexistant, it's either get shot down by A2A or roflstomp ground with pods, no real skill or enjoyment. To say nothing of how bad uncerted light aircraft have it, having neither.

I don't know, in my opinion the A2A rockets need to be a deterent for liberators instead of light aircraft, leave dogfighting as a means of taking down enemy birds instead of this stale mess. Rocket pods need a nerf to, or air to ground in general really given how liberators absolutely dominate the ground right now.

As a side note, sneaking up to enemy birds using the stealth upgrade and unleashing several shots from that shotgun primary is pretty hilarious and oftentimes even takes the enemy down outright.

Oh one last question regarding NC weaponry, are there any carbines that are remotely effective in close range fights? I've found them to only really be effective when firing in bursts, wich isn't really going to work up close. Combat rifles are nice but you only get those on the medic I think, need something for my engineer. I'm saving up for a shotgun but it would be nice to have an alternative nevertheless.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:14:16 pm by Jelle »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile

Oh one last question regarding NC weaponry, are there any carbines that are remotely effective in close range fights? I've found them to only really be effective when firing in bursts, wich isn't really going to work up close. Combat rifles are nice but you only get those on the medic I think, need something for my engineer. I'm saving up for a shotgun but it would be nice to have an alternative nevertheless.

You want the GD-7F
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question! Using only the regular bundled starting weapons, is there any way in which a sniper rifle can be used more efficiently than a medic's rifle with a 4x scope?
The way I see it, these rifles do a tiny bit more damage for a massive ROF reduction, and you have to steady your aim for the privilege to do so. The scopes are massively overpowered for the render distance too. I can only make use of the first mildot before someone vanishes from being too far away.

As an example to anyone who doesn't get what I'm going on about. I'm not an amazing player. Yet as a medic, I have taken on some fairly good snipers and won. I kind of consider this set-up to be like some sort of OP Counter-Sniper.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

God, I am just not getting it.

A third of the time I'm being killed every half second, another third I'm waiting in some room after everyone was cleared out by everyone other than me for an increadibly slow bar to tick over, and the other third I can't reach anywhere to do the first two from.

And yet somewhy I can't stop...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Snow Gibbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question! Using only the regular bundled starting weapons, is there any way in which a sniper rifle can be used more efficiently than a medic's rifle with a 4x scope?
The way I see it, these rifles do a tiny bit more damage for a massive ROF reduction, and you have to steady your aim for the privilege to do so. The scopes are massively overpowered for the render distance too. I can only make use of the first mildot before someone vanishes from being too far away.

As an example to anyone who doesn't get what I'm going on about. I'm not an amazing player. Yet as a medic, I have taken on some fairly good snipers and won. I kind of consider this set-up to be like some sort of OP Counter-Sniper.

What faction(s)? I find the stock NC sniper to be better than the stock semi-automatic ones of the other two.

I also find the majority of Infiltrators can't infiltrate very well, only using the class for the sniper rifle itself and not bothering to use the cloaking capability. I've seen people complain that Infiltrator needs their armour buffed, because they got killed by a rushing HA/LA/Engi/Whatever whilst they were standing perfectly still on top of a mountain and not even thinking about moving around whilst using their incredibly loud and incredibly noticeable rifle. The cloaking device IS your armour!
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 826