Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084875 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The scopes are massively overpowered for the render distance too. I can only make use of the first mildot before someone vanishes from being too far away.
In C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\UserOptions there's a RenderDistance option that you can set up to 3000. Be warned that rendering more will increase your lag. I think by default it tries to minimalize lag, which causes very small render distance for most people.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question! Using only the regular bundled starting weapons, is there any way in which a sniper rifle can be used more efficiently than a medic's rifle with a 4x scope?
The way I see it, these rifles do a tiny bit more damage for a massive ROF reduction, and you have to steady your aim for the privilege to do so. The scopes are massively overpowered for the render distance too. I can only make use of the first mildot before someone vanishes from being too far away.

As an example to anyone who doesn't get what I'm going on about. I'm not an amazing player. Yet as a medic, I have taken on some fairly good snipers and won. I kind of consider this set-up to be like some sort of OP Counter-Sniper.
The only advantage INF has with weapons is that you can instagib any non-MAX infantry, including full shield heavies, by clicking on their head.  This is a huge advantage, and makes up for their guns sucking for all conventional uses.  The trick is to find a good position.  If you're using your cloak and cover correctly, you'll only be visible for the brief second when you make the shot.

I also find the majority of Infiltrators can't infiltrate very well, only using the class for the sniper rifle itself and not bothering to use the cloaking capability. I've seen people complain that Infiltrator needs their armour buffed, because they got killed by a rushing HA/LA/Engi/Whatever whilst they were standing perfectly still on top of a mountain and not even thinking about moving around whilst using their incredibly loud and incredibly noticeable rifle. The cloaking device IS your armour!
I think people tend to complain because INF is a shitty class for actually infiltrating.  You can make an ass of yourself instakilling people from the edge of their render distance while invisible, but the cloak is pretty much useless up close/when moving and they only have the pistol/knife for close range.  They're possibly the single worst class for going behind enemy lines.  They fill the hill wookie role to a tee, but they can't do anything comparable to TF2's spy or Tribes:Ascend's infiltrator, and it'll take a lot of balancing from SOE if they want them to fill that role (such as an option to trade their primary weapon for a better cloak).

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Or a jump jet.
Seriously, If I had jump jets as infiltrator instead of camo and a half-decent sniper rifle (the existing ones are more imprecise at long range than my light assault carbine!), I'll definitely play infiltrator.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

God, I am just not getting it.

A third of the time I'm being killed every half second, another third I'm waiting in some room after everyone was cleared out by everyone other than me for an increadibly slow bar to tick over, and the other third I can't reach anywhere to do the first two from.

And yet somewhy I can't stop...
Keep trying and find a decent outfit. What faction are you playing as and on what server?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile

In my experience, the best place to play infiltrator is in the middle of a huge battle across a sizable distance. Just use that cloak to shuffle to a decent hidey hole to the side of the battle, and you can basically snipe everyone and make insane amounts of certs in the process so long as you cloak every once in a while to ensure your own safety.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

The trick with infiltrator is knowing when to stand still.  I think you're 100% invisible that way.  I've spent decent amounts of time lurking around inside moderately populated enemy bases just sabotaging stuff without getting caught.  The motion detectors actually help.  Place them at entrances.  When something triggers them, you know someone is coming and you need to get yourself into a corner, cloak when you hear approaching footsteps, and stand perfectly still as they pass by.  They may guess at where you are if they have any clue to go by, but I promise they won't see you.  Cloaking is also a good way to move across open ground IF you haven't already drawn attention to your position and you don't pass close to hostiles.  It's very rare for people to notice you when cloaked at a distance if they're not looking for you.

I do think the infiltrators need to be more silent.  Knife kills are way too difficult to get.  If you try to kill someone with just the knife, they will almost always spin around and shoot you in the face before you can stab them twice.  You need to stab and then follow up immediately with two pistol shots (default VS pistol), but that gives you away.  I think people can also hear your cloaking noise, which is a problem.  I understand it's a tough class to balance.  People need an opportunity to respond to the presence of a spy or they become the No-One-Is-Allowed-To-Have-Fun class.  I think a longer cloak time would help.  That way, it's difficult to use cloak as an escape from nearby enemies (can't be surprised by presence of hostiles and cloak when they're already close to you - that's sloppy work on your part), but you can easily use it to get into dangerous areas with some planning.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What if knives just worked as they do in TF2? Death from behind (probably about a 60 degree angle), damage if not from behind. Knives would not be overpowered so getting close to hostiles is not instadeath, but infiltrator kniving would work.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You want the GD-7F

Thanks, this carbine is amazing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

What if knives just worked as they do in TF2? Death from behind (probably about a 60 degree angle), damage if not from behind. Knives would not be overpowered so getting close to hostiles is not instadeath, but infiltrator kniving would work.

Would be nice, and difficult enough to pull off.  I don't get many opportunities to sneak up on someone facing one direction for several seconds with no one else around to see.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

God, I am just not getting it.

A third of the time I'm being killed every half second, another third I'm waiting in some room after everyone was cleared out by everyone other than me for an increadibly slow bar to tick over, and the other third I can't reach anywhere to do the first two from.

And yet somewhy I can't stop...
Keep trying and find a decent outfit. What faction are you playing as and on what server?

Vanu on I cant remember.

Waterson?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then I cant help you. There are a few NC's on Mattherson that play togheter quite often, it's mainly Duuvian, Glowcat and me.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile

Any NCs on Waterson then?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

How about Vanu?

They have lazers. I honestly don't know why you would play anything else.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not lasers, plasma weaponry. But they do have some lasers I do think.
Why not play vanu? On this server at least they are the worst nobrain zergers, and frankly their rifles are OP.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And NC can be so much more fun. I have a TR character, but I don't play it because NC is more fun. More reasons for NC: Alot of B12ers play NC, so you'll have friends to play with.

Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 826