Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084881 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something weird I've been noticing in everyone's posts: fire from the hip. Why do you do it?

As a VS HA who uses only the Orion, I would never fire from the hip. That's how you die.

Close combat weapons have high accuracy when used in hipfire to the point where you can still land headshots at their intended range usually while not suffering the movement penalty for ADS. If you're not being shot at then scoping is great for some added accuracy but when you're being shot at up close some strafing can really mess up the enemy's aim.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

Why would you do that? It's not like XP and certs are shared.

And for factions, I just like the NC alot more than the TR, haven't tried vanu tough.

Because eventually I'll want to get all the upgrades for all three factions (or at least, all the HA ones), and that's the most efficient way.

Incidentally, do the other factions have easier-to-pilot aircraft than the Vanu?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Why would you do that? It's not like XP and certs are shared.

And for factions, I just like the NC alot more than the TR, haven't tried vanu tough.

Because eventually I'll want to get all the upgrades for all three factions (or at least, all the HA ones), and that's the most efficient way.

Incidentally, do the other factions have easier-to-pilot aircraft than the Vanu?

Personally, I found the Scythe to be easier to fly than the Reaver. No experience with the Mossie.

VS: Our fighters can fly in reverse!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As that's the Scythes strong point... not really. The mosquito isn't too bad either though and is the fastest non-afterburner movement. Reaver has the best afterburner movement but it flies like a rock without upgrades.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Had easily one of my best battles tonight on Miller, Esamir, at Apex Genetics.

First we took Apex Genetics and just after it capped we noticed a TR force coming from the north-east. We pushed out and fought them using the high ground to our advantage. They finally broke under a full infantry charge, but a large force of TR had taken Apex Genetics behind us. We returned just in time to see them cap it and to start a long battle ending with the base back in NC hands.

As the base was being retaken we had to deal with the odd magrider from the south which, as soon as the base capped, turned into a large combined VS force. As we pushed the last of them back we get word that more TR armour are approaching from the north. We move back to fighting the TR only to have even more VS show up from the south. The base is held against both for a long time.

Eventually we all redeploy at Aurora Materials Lab and spawn a load of sunderers. We charge back to Apex Genetics with a small group of LSD tankers to find the VS on point. Upon seeing us arrive one of their number simply says "fuck" in chat. The point is retaken quickly and the base successfully defended. The siege continues from both sides and the base is held against both, again, for a long time.

It lasted a little over an hour. If anyone wants to see it for themselves you can.

TL/DR: One NC outfit held Apex Genetics for over an hour against simultaneous VS and TR attacks.

For all it's flaws this game certainly has it's moments.

Edit to add: Got just over 100 kills in this hour and 38 deaths.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:21:08 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

ADK, my outfit and the largest outfit on Genudine, recently reached 2000 players and we decided to celebrate by having everyone spawn as a MAX, with a few engineers and medics sprinkled in for support. It was hilarious seeing people's reactions as we charged into bases, obliterating everything and capturing it in no time at all. Best part is that we traveled in a single file line, so it was like one giant mechanical snake of doom.

I know if a small army of MAXes attacked my base, I'd be pulling my Light Assault with some C4 real fast. Only one guy tried doing that to us, though, and we took care of him really fast. Shotguns are amazing at range if you have enough of them. :P
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Shotguns are amazing at range if you have enough of them. :P

It's like the PS1 Jackhammer: Aiming optional.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Isn't 2000 the player limit by continent (per faction I guess)? So did you have the whole TR/NC/VS population on Indar/Esamir/Amerish (underline correct options) into a coordinated attack? Regardless of if it's the case or not, that should have been darn impressive to witness. :o
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

Nah, we have 2000 people in the outfit, but there were only 90 some odd on at the time. Even the largest outfit on our server only has 5% of its population on a given time at most.

I really wish there were some more tactical outfits out there, though. I love the idea of play the game like a SEAL, covering each other's backs and using actual tactics rather than simply zerging. I get the feeling such a play style wouldn't be as fun in PS2, though.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I tried out a VS MAX recently, do their weapons have a maximum range or something? I fired a full clip across a canyon (maybe 100 meters), keeping the crosshair right on the target. No hits, no apparent damage at all.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

It is common knowledge on the PS2 boards that the VS maxes, for the most part, suck. :P
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yep. VS maxes are useless rubbish, except for AA work.

Isn't 2000 the player limit by continent (per faction I guess)? So did you have the whole TR/NC/VS population on Indar/Esamir/Amerish (underline correct options) into a coordinated attack? Regardless of if it's the case or not, that should have been darn impressive to witness. :o

The server player limit doesn't restrict how many people can make characters on it, only how many can be on at once.

3. Run Resize Enable

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TR here.  I'd say infantry is fairly well balanced.  However MBTs aren't nearly as balanced.  Prowler is just so much weaker than the NC and VS equivalent.  We get a situtational at best ability (anchor mode) and a weaker gun.  The prowler does have one redeeming factor.  The HE and HEAT main guns absolutely murder infantry.  There is zero reason to roll with an anti-personnel secondary on a prowler.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yep. In some ways the Prowler is essentially an up-armored Lightning. With two main cannons.

Trying to decide if arty (even in the form of, say, a deployable light mortar that replaces the HA's rawket lawnchair) would be added depth or added cheese. It'd give more of a purpose to spotting, that's for sure.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Yep. In some ways the Prowler is essentially an up-armored Lightning. With two main cannons.

Trying to decide if arty (even in the form of, say, a deployable light mortar that replaces the HA's rawket lawnchair) would be added depth or added cheese. It'd give more of a purpose to spotting, that's for sure.
Arty was extremely useful in PS1, and had a very nice system where you fired a targeting laser at the target point and anyone in your squad got an artillery beacon which showed them range/elevation information so they could fire on target from beyond line of sight
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 826