Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089868 times)

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5655 on: January 29, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »

On one side, we have the NC who believe they're being shafted as far as game balance is concerned, and the TR, who doesn't think that they're being shafted as heavily, but still believes that the VS is overpowered. On the other side, we have VS, who believes that there is balance, and that the game is mostly fine, and that most problems is not faction balance but problems that plague the entire game.

When people present theoretical, hard-evidence facts, such as datamined weapon stats, and argue that VS is OP or VS is fine, the other side says that hard data doesn't have any real relevance in real situations. On the other hand, people present anecdotal evidence, which by nature includes all variables of a real situation, then the other side claims that anecdotal evidence is useless.

Usually if there is next to nothing in a game that isnt constantly considered OP by a few people and that small number cries for nerfs of pretty much random things, its actually well balanced.
That doesnt quite seem to be the case for PS2 :D

The thing that annoys me most about the balancing discussion and suggestions is the sheer number of unaccounted variables people just ignore when telling the world of their anecdotical evidence.
Those that pull numbers out of some excel sheets and argue with oversimplified theoretical simulations are even worse.

Discussions about balancing MBTs are pretty much the worst out there, since their performance will change radically depending on the presence of a gunner, the secondary weapons he's using, distance and what kind of scenario most of the anecdotical evidence was gathered in.
And then there are of course people who demand everything to be nerfed to utter uselessness to prevent spawn camping, instead of changing the base layouts, victory conditions and reward system to influence player behaviour.

I wouldnt be surprised if its impossible to get decent information out of those forum discussions without using datamining, simply because there is so much of it and contains so little value per post.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:36:18 pm by Idranel »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5656 on: January 29, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »

I suggest you try to understand what terms mean before letting definitions do your arguing for you. It is not an ad hominem attack to point out that someone is either lying or operating under false assumptions, and it is not an ad hominem attack to respond to insults in kind. Neither am I making the second fallacy; I have no disagreement with the statement, "There are balance issues in PS2," but I do take issue with people trying to support a narrow, self-serving strain of that with obviously false evidence. Even if I hardly played the game I would still take issue with that; it's intellectually dishonest. I also see no good reason why VS should be toned down at medium ranges, considering that we also suffer from recoil and do not have the highest-RoF weapons. If you want to argue seriously, you might want to consider doing something beyond saying that VS is OP and accusing people of making fallacious arguments with no real support for your accusations.

There's a difference between a straight out lie and being ignorant. I'm not saying that he was right in saying that they were the highest, because they're certainly not, but neither is it right for you to completely ignore the rest of his argument just because he had one mistake in it. That is "the fallacy fallacy" - Ignoring everything else because it's been poorly argued or the argument contains a logical fallacy.

Very likely he thought that because of the Serpent, which has the highest RoF in the entire game - 845 RPM, matched only by the TR burst pistol, which can only get that high if you've got a godly clicking finger or a macro, the TR Cycler, and the NC GD-7F, which has a higher recoil but slightly lower first shot recoil multiplier. People on the official forums focus a lot on the Serpent as the reason the VS is OP against TR, but it's an unsubstantiated argument in the end since overall their RoF is better than the NC, but still not as good as the TR.

Also, if you haven't been paying attention, I have stated why VS are OP multiple times, as have others (Including the person you're reaming for making one mistake). The damage drop off hardly has any effect at medium ranges, where it actually does more damage. Reread Silfurdreki's post here, whose post was professional, yet you completely ignored the point he made and began throwing insults like it was part of your argument. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Incidentally, let's look at the carbines:
VS Carbine with lowest recoil:  Serpent, 0.22 vert and left recoil, 2.5x first shot multi
TR Carbine with lowest recoil: TRAC-5, 0.3 vert, right recoil, 2.35x first shot multi
NC Carbine with lowest recoil: GD-7F, 0.3 vert, left recoil, 2x first shot multi.

Hardly a stunning advantage, and most VS weapons are closer to the average. The Serpent, incidentally, also has a very long reload time.

Looking at one set of weapons, whether it be weapon class or recoil, is hardly indicative of whether or not an entire empire is overpowered. You also didn't mention that VS holds the four lowest recoil numbers in carbines (As well as beating the TR in RoF with several guns), has the lowest average recoil with Assault Rifles, and is on par with TR with recoil on LMGs* (The VS have lower first shot multipliers as well). Across the board, their recoil is lower, their recoil multipliers are lower, they have no bullet drop, and the damage drop off on their weapons is superior at medium ranges, where the majority of combat encounters take place. Even at long ranges, the minimum damage is hardly significant compared to other factions, and they take much longer to reach minimum damage.

Using nothing but numbers and facts, no anecdotal evidence, I've proven that the VS is more powerful than other factions simply because the disadvantage that their faction has is hardly a disadvantage at all. Having asymmetrical balance is a tricky business, but PS2 hasn't nailed it yet.

Also note that I'm not saying that the NC don't need a minor buff. The November patch helped a little, and another small buff on low RoF guns would do wonders for the NC balance, as well as other factions' high damage weapons. The TR and VS were fairly on par at one time, until the November patch, where TR got a CoF nerf. The one real disadvantage that the VS have is that the Lasher takes exactly three years to kill something, which is pretty ridiculous.

Also, in case you try to deflect the argument again with cries of "You're whining because you suck": Here's my main character's stats. I'm purely infantry and rarely get in any vehicles except for transport. My K/D ratio is 2.65, my K/D ratio against TR is 3.04, my K/D ratio against VS is 2.59. I spend a fair amount of time defending bases, since I enjoy it more than attacking, which is part of why my K/D ratio is so high, but I'm hardly a scrub begging for the faction that kills me more to be nerfed. I also play a medic for the most part, so my K/D ratio isn't bloated by using Bouncing Betties and the like.

*One exception, the MSW-R, which has a .35 recoil, where the comparable VS gun has a .4 recoil.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: January 29, 2013, 04:22:56 pm »

So basically you're allowed to state obvious falsehoods as if they were facts because you're only speculating. Speculation is a guess based on limited evidence, essentially a hypothesis. Part of that includes accounting for known facts. I'd say that "TR have guns with high RoF." is a pretty basic fact in PS2. So, in short, you were using blatantly false evidence to form your opinion. Same issue with a very slightly different shade of 'wrong'.
So, what you're saying in effect was that my opinion was wrong? And that isn't acceptable?
Oh my!
Well, let me do you a favour and tell you, the internet is full of opinion. Most of it wrong. If that's a problem, you might wanna just quickly unplug that cable and save yourself the hassle.

VS Carbine with lowest recoil:  Serpent, 0.22 vert and left recoil, 2.5x first shot multi
TR Carbine with lowest recoil: TRAC-5, 0.3 vert, right recoil, 2.35x first shot multi
NC Carbine with lowest recoil: GD-7F, 0.3 vert, left recoil, 2x first shot multi.
Also, lets look at the metric presented here. Or if I actually have to point out, lack of.
Converting these numbers into a more legible but entirely equal value:
Serpent: 22%
TRAC-5: 30%
GD-7F: 30%
Now. Care to explain to me what this means?
Because I have no idea how much of a difference 8% is going to make, when I don't know what either 1% or 100% actually represent.

There's a difference between a straight out lie and being ignorant.
This is pretty much what I've been trying to say.
I was misinformed by my own observations. This is quite different to trying to create false evidence.

And if no one had even noticed, I've been trying to get myself out of this part of the conversation, as my research has turned up very little of value and everyone else seems to be able to make more informed points than I can.

Oh, one thing I have noticed recently is that cloaked infiltrators are easier to spot if you turn your graphics settings up.
What the hell is with that? I've had everything turned down to max my FPS and it turns out it's been putting me at a serious disadvantage the whole time!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: January 29, 2013, 04:31:27 pm »

It has been the case for a while that low graphics makes Infiltrators pretty hard to spot whereas with higher graphics they're just... walking puddles that make you shake your head as you get an easy kill. Though low graphics can see completely through smoke grenades so maybe it evens out.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: January 29, 2013, 04:42:02 pm »

Downloaded this, waited hours, couldn't run it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: January 29, 2013, 04:42:38 pm »

Yeah, there's such a big difference in certain things depending on the graphic settings. I've tried higher settings trough the ini editor thingy someone posted a few pages back. The performance impact wasn't that big but in some places I can barely play because say a sandstorm decided to block my view completely so I was unable to hit anything. With low settings, that sandstorm doesn't exist :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5661 on: January 29, 2013, 04:45:28 pm »

Wow, hacking's getting pretty ridiculous right now. There were two TR with chain guns teleporting around shooting folks in the back. I managed to kill one of them three times by getting lucky and setting up traps with AP mines. But holy cow, SOE, where are the admins?

In other news, the big January patch has been delayed a week. Probably a good thing, considering the final for my last class is coming up.

Downloaded this, waited hours, couldn't run it.

It's a very unoptimized game. The devs have mentioned that a more efficient build is out, but it's going to require a complete redownload. Until then, rule of thumb is that if you can't run Battlefield 3, you'll have a hard time running PS2.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: January 29, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »

Now I remember why I stopped playing this.
I SUCK AT IT.

As in, suck so bad that I cannot squeeze  drop of fun from it because I spend most of my time dead.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5663 on: January 29, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »

I really can't recommend finding a large outfit and tagging along with them as a support character until you get the hang of this game. I struggled to keep my Kill/Death ratio above 1 when I first started out, but then I started tagging along with my outfit and giving them ammo/healing. It gave me enough motivation to play until I managed to get a hang of the game.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: January 29, 2013, 04:57:13 pm »

Does anyone else run this on a laptop? I know what's my problem, the laptop can run it just fine but the problem is with the overheating. Though I have a cooling fan, it doesn't do anything.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5665 on: January 29, 2013, 05:06:12 pm »

You need a powerful, cool laptop to run it.

I'd recommend a desktop, honestly. Even my desktop gets pretty hot while PS2 is running.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: January 29, 2013, 05:10:00 pm »

Though I have a cooling fan, it doesn't do anything.
Depends on the brand and sometimes the model.
Both me and my GF have Samsung laptops and they both handle heat from things like Planetside 2 and Skyrim rather well.
My old Toshiba on the other hand just couldn't hack any sort of full power loop programs for more than 10 minutes.

What are the specifics of your problem? I found with my old laptop, putting it on a cold surface like a metal could help extend the time it could run something. Even managed to get some quick sessions out of some games by using ice packs. The trouble being Ice packs are hard to place and don't last too long.
I know it seems counter intuitive, but leaving the bottom of the laptop open to the air won't help draw out the heat - unless there's a vent there.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: January 29, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »

My lappy can run it, but I prop it up so it has some ground clearance to improve the cooling. The game stutters occasionally but it's more than playable. Except the last half hour which gave me two freezes, fml.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: January 29, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »

Mine runs it just peachy, until I get into any sort of combat. Then I get one to two FPS. Fun to run about in, but if I can't fight effectively, then it just gets annoying.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: January 29, 2013, 05:41:52 pm »

Does anyone else run this on a laptop? I know what's my problem, the laptop can run it just fine but the problem is with the overheating. Though I have a cooling fan, it doesn't do anything.
I do. I have lowest settings, a bit of heat problem (not much, really), but it runs fine, really. It's an Asus X53S if you want to know.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 826