Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089159 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5775 on: February 05, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »

The best landings involve explosions.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: February 05, 2013, 04:21:52 pm »

I just started playing this game.

What do I do to start grinding cert points faster?

Initially, finding the main factional push and tagging along seems a decent way to do it but I'm wondering if there's a better way.

Oh, and what do I have to do to make it feel like I'm not flying or driving around papier-mache whenever I get in a vehicle?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5777 on: February 05, 2013, 04:34:16 pm »

Trust me: Don't focus on earning certs. Just have fun.

That said, handing out ammo as an Engineer is a great way to earn lots of points.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:09 pm »

Trust me: Don't focus on earning certs. Just have fun.

That said, handing out ammo as an Engineer is a great way to earn lots of points.

I agree with both these points.  The fact that Engy is probably my most played class makes the Warden so much more tempting to get.  If I see it on sale, I'm snapping it up.

That said, if you do go engy, remember that you have two ammo packs, not one.  If you pull out your turret and hit B (weapon mode select- default key) it pulls out another one.  You can have them both out at once.

(Also, Jim, if you're on Mattherson NC, look me up: ToasterTheAwesome)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: February 05, 2013, 05:09:26 pm »

If you do specifically want to earn a lot of certs quickly, playing medic in a zerg and reviving everyone you can will rack up certs quickly. It's something like 3.33 revives per cert point, and that's discounting all the various other sources.

Also of note: the underbarrel grenade launcher for the S-variant of the default carbine is an excellent way to have fun while earning certs as engineer, even with the nerfs. Just find a location that gives you an arc onto a gathering point for part of an enemy zerg, drop your ammo pack, and start plopping grenades down on them in a steady stream. Granted, you'll need 1100 certs (IIRC) to get the S-variant and the underbarrel, but the Vanu S-variant at least is quite a good weapon.

But yeah, either ghostcap while avoiding large enemy forces, or farm kills at the nearest zerg. Quite often what you do will be determined more by the stability of your framerate than anything else.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: February 05, 2013, 07:33:17 pm »

I play with a focus on cert gaining, but the situations I get the most certs in are the ones that I have the most fun, the second may lead to the first.

Also, hotfix out that should fix some performance issues people were getting.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:42:26 pm by bluejello »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: February 05, 2013, 09:19:14 pm »

A new hotfix, or the one from a night or two ago?

3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: February 05, 2013, 09:30:09 pm »

New.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5783 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:27 pm »

An important point with the Underbarrel Grenade launchers - There's a few glitches to avoid. 1) Don't switch from your UB-GL to your ammo. It glitches everything up and prevents your shots from registering until you switch to your pistol or something. This may have been fixed in Update 2, I'm not sure. 2) After firing a round, switch to your primary and then back to your UB-GL to reload. This removes any chance of bugging, insuring you can keep resupplying grenades from your ammo pack. I think this was improved during Update 2, but certainly not fixed.

Also, just for the Gun-S variant and the UB-GL, it's just 600 certs.

Another thing to remember as an engineer is that Bouncing Betties (Or your faction equivalent) don't cost too many certs and are highly effective. If you decide to use them (Or C4 or whatever), you can switch to your MANA turret, press B, and drop Ammo packs still. They've been patched to utilize the certs you put into them, too, so that's another good investment. Of course, you can always just drop two separate ammo packs, which doubles your potential experience gain for resupplying. Explosives are mostly useful for defense, so you can vary your strategy appropriately.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: February 05, 2013, 11:39:15 pm »

I haven't had any issues with the underbarrel since the last update. I can sit in one spot popping them off all day long at NC who poke their noses outside of teleport rooms without switching to anything but my ammo pack. It does get a bit buggy when I try to switch back to the primary fire, but that's the only problem I have.

In other news, I shot down a Reaver with a LMG.  He was at ~75% health and decided that hovering overhead while he reloaded his rockets was a good idea, so I showed him the error of his ways with an extremely extended burst from my SVA-88. :3

3. Run Resize Enable

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: February 05, 2013, 11:50:27 pm »

Underbarrel smoke launcher is great, especially for medic. Basically, unless they have one of the night vision scopes, it applys a wall they technically can shoot through, but not accurately. Smoke launcher and revive grenades will allow you to revive a whole corpse pile. Instead of having maybe 1/3 reach safety without dieing again you will see a much greater percentage of the corpsepile find a position to recharge shields and become almost fully combat effective again, while your revive grenades allow you to cower behind cover like the good medic you are. In addition there are many times when your team has to go across open territory while trading shots from enemy in a base. While it may limit your return fire, being able to reach the base itself is the first step in taking it and smoke grenades will help you do it, especially if you find an ammo kit to resupply from. This might make the carbine-S a good choice as well, as the Engineer could use it most effectively to allow an advance. I've seen stalemates broken by smoke clouds before.

I've been using the Gauss-S AR since the patch due to saving 500 certs prior, mostly from the double exp weekend, in the hope SMGs would be something other than 1000 certs. I've found I like it's performance better than I did the Reaper AR pre-patch. Due to having bullets that are seemingly much faster travellers with less recoil, I've found I can land more shots in both single shot and full auto. In addition, the S model has two round burst in addition to the other firing modes. I find two round burst to be extremely effective at medium ranges between where I would use single shot, and where I would use full auto as it puts more rounds out than single shot yet the recoil resets after bullet 2. I'm unsure if the recoil on the Reaper has changed, as I have solely used the Gauss-S with it's speedy bullets since the patch. In addition, the Reaper was absolutely terrible at hipfire, while the Gauss-S seems more along the lines of average, which is still much better than the Reaper.

Finally the AC-111 or what-not NC carbine seems to perform much better than pre-patch, though I might be imagining it. It seems to spray less wildly upon full auto at a distance, which makes it more viable than pre-patch compared to the GD-7F close range carbine in my opinion, since previously it seemed the GD-7F performed roughly as well at long range due to better rate of fire, larger clip, and less recoil per shot than the AC-111 while having very superior close range ability.

EDIT: Obligatory whining/advice to the devs since my absolute favorite ability in the game was negatively affected in the last patch: Also I'm not sure if someone mentioned it or not, but Flash Turbo received a stealth nerf. You can't drive up vertical walls anymore ::)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also you can't enter the warpgate spawn room anymore with vehicles.

However you can still drive up steep hills if you have previous momentum. If you try to turbo up a very steep incline from a standstill the tires will spin and depending on the incline you might inch forward at very low speed. It will grant much less acceleration up inclines from a stop, so try to hit hills with momentum and don't wait for the flash to stall out like you could do previously for added distance.

My advice to the devs: no one will cert beyond turbo rank 1 at the current cert prices, because they wouldn't do it previously when turbo was better. If the price was changed without me noticing, my apologies for complaining. However, I would at least consider investing certs into additional ranks if either turbo was significantly less costly than it was pre-patch, or as a better solution, if in addition to the added recharge time, the turbo ranks changed turbo mode to be increasingly similar to how it was pre-patch with each rank while maintaning the cost, with the last and exceptionally expensive rank being the exact same as it was pre-patch with the ability to zoom up walls and soar through the air for what must have been an overpowered one second, or else why change one of the funnest and most amusing crowd-pleasing abilities in the game that I used most effectively to make crowds of people laugh? The main reasons I can guess are because it was deemed silly (which was most of the appeal in the first place I might add) or that it made the flash too maneuvorable when the change was made to make it not explode like a turtle on it's back. I'm not sure about that; when I landed without exploding pre-patch the best landing place besides on directly top of a TR infantryperson would have been near an enemy sunderer actively spawning infantry for my Flash M40 grenade launcher to get a few kills before anyone holding a weapon returns fire.
Spoiler: Flash weapons summary (click to show/hide)
If I was unlucky there would be someone that can aim and fire effectively any caliber of weaponry, looking in the direction I had landed with no turbo remaining.

Some things involving my primary vehicle regarding usage time according to stats, the flash, that somewhat makes up for the loss of awesome turbo: The flash grenade launcher was buffed so that the grenades' arc is much less steep. In effect it greatly increases the range.

More importantly: The flash will not explode immediately upon flipping. Instead it will drop the flash to very low health, but enough that an engineer can jump off and repair it quickly. Once it burst into flames and almost had time to explode before my repair beam 'stuck' to it. My K/d ratio will thank the devs for this change, especially as it doesn't seem to track the number of suicides as it's own statistic, yet my k/d ratio is so low I'd like to assume it counts them for the ratio though.

However, with the current change to turbo in place I think I will most likely stick to pulling Vanguards and Lightnings and leave the Flash as a last resort for when I'm exploded well before the timer is up on either of those vehicles as they are just a much more effective investment of my player time for the team. I might even consider certing into Flash radar to turn it into a stationary radar for capping points. Turbo isn't absolutely terrible after the change and still adds a way to quickly accelerate from someone's aim point, and can even go over most hills at a high speed as long as you had previous momentum, but I would say that losing the ability to be airborne for roughly 1 second with the correct angle really takes away a lot of the maneuvorabilty that I initially chose turbo for in the first place. It still has the short duration and the extremely high cert costs on upgrades versus their effect that I could put towards an AP or HE turret for the Vanguard to sit at the Crown and spot and destroy whole swarms of infantry or snipe tanks. From a tank in the Crown you can hit any of the various surrounding territories even. Why did I get turbo in the first place at 150 certs instead of saving for something better? Simply because I enjoyed driving up a wall right before a base capture, exploding above the point a hundred Goons and other friendly assorted creatures of their ilk are milling about, having my corpse land exactly upon the point while flaming wreckage harmlessly showers the starry-eyed Goons below. Also I enjoyed doing backflips in the warpgate, but if that has to be impassible to vehicles to prevent my doing the fabled Double Backflip with one turbo this is acceptable for the following reason: I understand that being able to bless +1 all the NC troops on the server upon successfully completing this masterful technique and being personally responsible for all our victories ever as a result was perhaps overpowered and thus the devs removed access to the warpgate spawn room to vehicles. I get that, as there I could keep trying the maneuvour endlessly and safely to myself and bystanders due to damage being off in the warpgate. It makes sense I would have to first find a similar bit of geometry in the unsafe world, try not to explode by landing upside down possibly though dozens of attempts, and kill any friendly infantry unfortunate to be landed upon by my spinning flash and rider hurtling groundward through the aether. This would have made sense as it had such great effect upon game balance. Surely it should not be easy to bless all NC troops on the server at once, and should require a great deal of difficulty, wasted time, and accidental yet possibly avoidable team killing; of these three previously the last was noticeably lacking inside the warpgate. Unfortunately in addition to not being able to backflip in the warpgate safely, which would have been most logical to myself and possibly grudgingly accepted by the legions of adoring people amused by my antics at one time or another, for some reason it was deemed in addition a good idea to modify the flash's ability to drive up walls. While pre-patch driving up a vertical wall with no ceiling, I.E. outside, resulted in an explosive death or pre-landing bail out and appropriate loss of life or shielding depending on distance fallen and inertia; post patch, perhaps in testing, it was noticed that flashes could drive up ceilingless walls in exchange for most of it's vehicle health in landing due to not exploding immediately upon not landing on it's wheels (or landing on some types of rock with the wheels.) Perhaps this was too much escape ability for even the flash. However I think this could easily be rectified by rewarding players who skillfully manage to land upon their wheels, and penalizing those who don't by 1: forcing an exit from the flash upon landing upside down  2:retaining current post patch damage to the flash which is not enough to cause it to explode immediately and 3: smite the rider's shields and possibly health as if they took falling damage as they were thrown from the flash. While (3:) will result in deaths the same as the days of the exploding flash, I was quite willing at that time to trade any hope of a positive k/d ratio in exchange for how flash turbo was at that time. If you made these changes and also changed Turbo's certification ranks as I listed previously in this long post, I think it would allow you to meet whatever goals you had in mind for the change by having players spend an enormous amount of certs to do what they did before with only Turbo 1 at 150 certs, which would still be useful, while still allowing those enamoured with pre-patch Flash turbo to one day re-obtain the legendary ability to raise morale of their team with timely death defying flash jumps over a bigger tank zerg than Eval Knieval probably did at some point to turn the tide of whatever foreign war America was involved in at the appropriate time of his life.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:15:31 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:05 am »

w... wow...  :o
That's a beautiful speach, even if I may be too recent of a player to fully understand what it's all about...

I just wanted to ask if the solstice S was worth the 500 certs, and if a combination of the vertical recoil reducer, speedy ammo, x4 zoom and UB-GL was good or crappy x)
I feel so small now...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: February 06, 2013, 03:15:10 am »

Thanks!  8)

I would recommend giving it a trial first, as always when using that many certs if it is possible.

However, before you do that I suggest you take a look at the appropriate spreadsheet to compare to your current weaponry so you know what to expect. For example, I knew after looking at the spreadsheet that the Gauss AR line of rifles have a higher weapon velocity than the Reaper DMR that I was using at the time. I might have noticed a bit of effectiveness in that area but had I not checked out the spreadsheet I wouldn't have been sure.

One thing to expect from the S versions is that they are slightly worse than the default as far as statistics go, but only slightly and I don't notice it. They also have 3 firing types and as you've noticed can fit most of the basic attachments.

High velocity rounds are very useful at long range, but it will help if you are familiar with single shot mode sniping already. I can only speak for the NC scopes but both 4x scopes the NC use have different purposes. One, the non-chevron one, seems to me to cause less initial looking down scope lag, has sufficient zoom, and I like the crosshairs though sometimes they are a bit too thin to be seen with low graphics though this is only against certain backgrounds like the bridge texture and isn't especially detrimental. I also used the chevron scope when I used the 2x burst AR. The chevrons at the time (unsure if it has changed) were better for finding range with normal or soft point rounds, as those had more drop to them. With HV they are less advantageous but still a bit useful depending on your weapon's drop, which as a VS should be lessened significantly if I have my understanding correct. The chevrons obscure a good deal of a distant character and sometimes your bullet, however all you have to do is move it up slightly to the next chevron if you missed because of drop. It's also a decent scope but I like the non-chevron scope more. I'd imagine this would be amplified if I was VS and had less bullet drop. If you do a lot of long range shooting though, consider the 6x scope and semi-auto fire. It will extend your range past what the average non-sniper carries. It's great for covering friendly infantry advances for this reason when combined with spotting for the people up front.

As for the grenade launchers, I have smoke launcher currently, and had the normal one in Beta. I'm not sure if Solstice is an AR or a carbine, so I'll give advice for both. With the AR, as it currently can only be used by the medic, I highly recommend smoke launcher. This is because in my opinion you can do more for your team with a smoke that lasts however long it does, and you only carry two grenade rounds. You can miss with a grenade launcher and do 0 effectiveness, whereas a smoke miss still puts up a cloud of smoke where it hits. As long as it didn't soar gracefully 300 yards over and past the hilltop you were aiming at, it will still be effective for the entire duration. With grenade launcher you have to stand on top of an ammo kit to be constantly effective with it, though doing so is admitably more lethal, so perhaps if it's only a few opponents keeping your squad from advancing it would be more useful as a medic as you could theoretically eliminate one or two. Smoke would diminish the effectiveness of more people for longer however. I suppose it would also help to consider whether you enjoy exploding enemies more than you enjoy seeing a successful sally.

That brings me to the next point. If it's a carbine, I would get grenade launcher. LA's can use them to devastating effect if they can reach an area to rain the two down on a crowd and often can throw a hand grenade or if especially well positioned, C4, prior for extra carnage. The splash is less than a hand grenade I think, but just as lethal on a direct hit. I think there is some splash though so it could be good against a cluster of enemies that a hand grenade has weakened. I'm unsure if the hit indicator for launchers indicates where you fired from or if it indicates where the grenade exploded. I imagine direct hits point to you while proximity is pointed at the grenade, but I may be wrong. Engineers can simply keep up a constant stream of explosions (think a mortar without much of an arc) with an ammo pack as long as the reloading bug has been fixed. That said, smoke launcher would be just as good as it is for the medic, possibly better for the engineer as he could blanket an entire area with them much easier. In addition I'm unsure how Grenade Launchers compare to max anti vehicular weapons. Also I'm unsure how effective they are against armored vehicles.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:47:38 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5788 on: February 06, 2013, 09:25:32 am »

The heck did I just read.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: February 06, 2013, 09:33:16 am »

Well, it's official, Duuvian has gone off the deep end. Some strange form of PTS disorder? E-PTS?
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 826