Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089840 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5985 on: February 13, 2013, 01:41:01 pm »

On the note of paying real cash: Wait for a 3x or 2x SC day, then save that and wait for things you want to go on sale. You can unlock a substantial amount of stuff for 10-15USD if you are careful about when you buy.

This.  I spent ten bucks on the game and have SC unlocked:

Flash Fury
Flash Kobalt
Flash hubcaps (This was a bundle, if you haven't guessed)
Whatever camo it was in that pack- urban, I think
GD-F7
Warden

And still have 1350 SC left.  I got the SC on the triple day and everything I bought was on sale except the Warden.  I'm just waiting for the second Falcon to go on sale.

EDIT- Oh yeah, and AT mines are awesome.  You can reasonably expect them to pay for themselves if you aggressively seek out Sunderers- it takes two to blow them unless they have mineguard, even if they're deployed.  Keep an eye for ones deployed beside base walls you're defending- that's an easy kill to drop them down on top of it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:43:18 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: February 13, 2013, 01:56:20 pm »

A quick question: what weapons should I buy for my lightning and vanguard?

Also, if an amp station is under attack, look around the towers by the enterance for a bush and drop your AT mines there. Completely unnoticeable, high chance of getting a kill considering the average amp station battles.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:11 pm »

Apparently the new Anti-Vehicle Mana turret is a wire guided missle launcher, so you can guide it around by aiming. I've heard it does about as much damage as the default heavy launcher.
nothing

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: February 13, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »

Engy turret is an interesting concept.  I'll have to trial it tonight.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: February 13, 2013, 02:25:14 pm »

I hope it has a larger cone of rotation than the MANA turret.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: February 13, 2013, 02:35:02 pm »

MANA has a serious lack of upward aim- not as bad as the Kobalt on the flash, though.  The Kobalt is surprisingly accurate, but good luck pointing it toward dudes on a hill/wall without aiming the whole ATV up.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5991 on: February 13, 2013, 02:52:13 pm »

I like running around as an Engie, since I have bad FPS in firefights I like the support role.
Hacking turrets on enemy bases is also neat... >.>

Anyone have any tips for VS weapons to unlock first? I'm thinking the bolt-action sniper rifle for 100.
That's one way to take it, though honestly if you're dedicated to playing Infiltrator it would probably just be best to save for the Parallax. The Artemis is a good alternative to the SMG if you want more firepower for close-medium range.

As for all-around good VS weapons to go for:
1. Solstice SF. It's the Vanu s-variant carbine, has all the tasty underbarrel attachments, three fire modes, and is usable by both the Engie and LA.
2. If you play a lot of HA and don't like the low battery capacity/high recoil of the Orion (in other words, if you want a LMG rather than an assault rifle), I enjoy the SVA-88 quite a bit.
3 NS-11a. It's the only way to roll as medic. One of the few infantry weapons that I would not at all hesitate to call an upgrade.

I generally agree with the above, in addition the Eridani SX5 SMG is really effective for CQC particularly once you have picked up the extended magazine and soft point ammo certs on it, it also unlocks across all classes. I've been using it to great effect on my Infiltrator when I'm actually getting into bases to hack stuff/drop spawn beacon/cap points. It's primary drawback is that you will run through it's ammo pool really quickly, it may be very worth certing the increased ammo carried suit slot if you use it or use it on your engineer.

Oh, and the VS Max sucks, except for AA. You're never going to do well in it unless you have put virtually all of your certs into it, and even then a decently upgraded NC or TR Max will still mess you up. People like to cry about VS being OP, but for some reason they always forget that our Maxes are absolute shit. There's a reason you rarely/(n)ever see a VS Max Crash.

I dunno, the outfit I'm running with on Cobalt frequently uses VS AI Max crashes if we hit a well defended location, with good effect. I'll certainly agree the the VS AV Max sucks though.

Max's are from my experience the class that profits most from acting in a larger group, when they can watch each others backs and fill an area with fire preventing infantry from escaping. On their own they are really not all that effective, I can frequently take down a Max 1v1 as an Infiltrator with my SMG even.

Quote from: hotfix notes
Alpha Squad boosts were regranted with full six months and extra bonus to resources and experience. All Alpha Squad players must re-equip the new boost.
Yay, free 3 months of boost.
Invulnerability for revived players has been removed.
Effect added to help indicate temporary invulnerability on respawn.
Prevention of the zombie advance stratagy and being able to tell if you can damage someone are good.
Missiles locked on to the vehicle in flight will again provide audio/visual indicators
So hopefully less dying to missiles out of nowhere.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: February 13, 2013, 04:21:31 pm »

Since I'm saving up the certs, what would be a more effective purchase: One of the S variants of the starting rifles or the utility slot items for the different classes like C4?

I'm leaning towards the S variants since they have all those snazzy exclusive attachments, but being able to blow up large concentrations of soldiers with C4 also has its appeal.

I'm TR by the way.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:45 pm »

Depends.  NS-11 and Jaguar are pretty much superior to the S variant unless you really like underslug barrel attachments.  1000 certs is a lot, but you'll get there. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: February 13, 2013, 04:33:18 pm »

Depends on what class you're playing, as well.

Is the C4 unlock class-exclusive?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: February 13, 2013, 04:33:47 pm »

Also C4 is great for blowing up vehicles that aren't careful, but you need two of those for it to be really effective. Not sure about the other guns, but you will have them shared between classes saving up some certs in the process while C4 is only unlocked for a single class.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: February 13, 2013, 04:35:00 pm »

C4. Definitively buy C4 before a new gun. I play LA, and the C4 changed my gameplay way more significantly than a new gun. Sure, the gun makes you more efficient, but the C4 unlocks numerous new tactics. You won't be powerless against vehicles anymore. You can kill maxes, set up traps, draw people out of their turrets (people ALWAYS get out of a C4'ed turret) or destroy them if they are damaged enough. 2 C4 can destroy a sundi, with all the sweet XP that imply.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: February 13, 2013, 04:38:25 pm »

Also C4 is great for blowing up vehicles that aren't careful, but you need two of those for it to be really effective. Not sure about the other guns, but you will have them shared between classes saving up some certs in the process while C4 is only unlocked for a single class.

Guns are definitely unlocked for every class that can use them.

Sucks about C4, though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5998 on: February 13, 2013, 04:40:07 pm »

You can have one of each turret deployed at once, potentially useful if you need to both shoot something AND own a worthless glowing distraction.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: February 13, 2013, 04:41:56 pm »

Depends.  NS-11 and Jaguar are pretty much superior to the S variant unless you really like underslug barrel attachments.  1000 certs is a lot, but you'll get there.
IIRC the NS-11 isn't available for every class that can use the S-variants. That aside, even after the nerf the underbarrel GL is obscenely good, especially if you're playing as an engineer. That aside, C4 is pretty much a must-have for LA, but to be most effective you need two bricks, which takes another 500 certs for the second brick. AT mines are only 100 certs, and you get two right from the get-go, which will kill any Sundie or Lightning without mineguard.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 826