Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089634 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6540 on: March 15, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »

The AA max is pretty much considered the best "mobile" AA platform.

But in reality, everyone knows, the heavy tanks main cannon is the ultimate anti-air weapon. :D

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: March 15, 2013, 06:12:51 pm »

Skyguard wasn't so bad before the last patch. I don't think it was changed though I haven't driven it yet. Main problem with it is slow velocity; if you can lead them and they are predictable enough that you can land a full magazine on a fighter it will explode. I don't see a problem with requiring more than one dedicated AA to reliably explode fighters before they can get out of range; usually there are a lot more ground forces than air because of timers anyhow. I'm happy enough that they added exp incentive for stuff I was doing anyways in being the one guy who actually shoots at fighters when they go by. As for libs, one skyguard makes them go away, and gals are durable against anything.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:17:52 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: March 15, 2013, 06:29:45 pm »

Yeah, fighters are mainly anti-infantry, most times I've seen them lay out a salvo of rockets on a tank and do 10-20% damage, only to get slammed by a rocket launcher (which are very decent vs fighters).  The real threat is gunships, and those are relatively vulnerable to MAX and similar, primarily by their low speed and large target.  While fighters are more difficult to hit, they're also relatively harmless to armor, and a few flak rounds - even the sunderer's anti-infantry machinegun - will scare them into running away.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: March 15, 2013, 06:36:44 pm »

I don't know if you guys know, but Planetside 2's channel has started a new video series. It's very cool and does it's job: I get very pumped to play PS2 after I watch it.

War Correspondent

The series is called War Correspondent, and basically they report major military actions on the servers, as if it was a real news agency in the game.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: March 15, 2013, 07:02:10 pm »

Yeah, fighters are mainly anti-infantry, most times I've seen them lay out a salvo of rockets on a tank and do 10-20% damage, only to get slammed by a rocket launcher (which are very decent vs fighters).  The real threat is gunships, and those are relatively vulnerable to MAX and similar, primarily by their low speed and large target.  While fighters are more difficult to hit, they're also relatively harmless to armor, and a few flak rounds - even the sunderer's anti-infantry machinegun - will scare them into running away.

I'd have to disagree with you there. A common and significant threat to a stock tank is a fighter that can attack at an angle that the secondary weapon can not fire at. In large groups, it works out well as there will be enough ground fire to scare a fighter pilot, but without some aa support fighters can tear apart a small armor column if the pilots take care to stay out of the sights of the big guns on the ground by coming in at a steep angle, if the armor have no where to take cover. Though in zerg combat it's tough to find an angle as a fighter to be able to fire on the ground without being in some large caliber weaponry's sights from somewhere else.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:07:08 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: March 15, 2013, 07:24:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure ESFs can kill MBTs in one volley if they hit them from behind.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: March 15, 2013, 07:49:55 pm »

They can. A reaver needs 8 rockets (out of 12) to hit the rear to kill a MBT, for example. It's my favourite activity as a pilot.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: March 15, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »

They can. A reaver needs 8 rockets (out of 12) to hit the rear to kill a MBT, for example. It's my favourite activity as a pilot.

Yeah I frequently see fighters coming in from behind while I'm piloting a tank. The best part is that a fighter targeting your rear armor has to fly low enough for your main cannon to be able to aim at it, I'm getting better at aiming too.

Also, in a lightning, keep moving and turning when this happens, makes it hard for ESF's to keep their aim on your rear.

You can go to the VR room and practice aiming on the friendly pilots flying around, it does no damage and you get a lot of ammo. :D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:09:49 pm by darkrider2 »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: March 15, 2013, 10:33:12 pm »

Saw Goons on Mattherson, welcomed them back because I hadn't seen any in a while and said thanks over /re, Goons leave. I should have known better, but still funny to me. Next time I won't draw attention to them and let them do their thing and I apologize to my allies should I have done them wrong by welcoming them. Know though I wasn't being sarcastic; you fellows make PS2 more fun on that server for everyone (on the NC side at least) and I hope working together to explode TE and their ilk is as enjoyable to the Goons as it is to me; and if I should somehow cause them a problem by laying my gratitude upon them that a Goon should tell me so I may not do so in the future.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:46:41 pm by Duuvian »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: March 16, 2013, 01:23:10 am »

Matherson just wouldn't feel right without GOON around.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6550 on: March 16, 2013, 07:52:22 am »

Skyguard wasn't so bad before the last patch. I don't think it was changed though I haven't driven it yet. Main problem with it is slow velocity; if you can lead them and they are predictable enough that you can land a full magazine on a fighter it will explode. I don't see a problem with requiring more than one dedicated AA to reliably explode fighters before they can get out of range; usually there are a lot more ground forces than air because of timers anyhow. I'm happy enough that they added exp incentive for stuff I was doing anyways in being the one guy who actually shoots at fighters when they go by. As for libs, one skyguard makes them go away, and gals are durable against anything.
Skyguard has a range problem as well. Beyond a certain point you simply cannot hit ESF as the bullets despawn. I've done testing with a friend and the AA MAX significantly outranges the skyguard.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: March 16, 2013, 08:14:03 am »

Amusing my PS2-less self by watching the various videos on their channel.
As much as I hate dubstep, I might have to go with the Vanu, as their little video (not to mention the voiceover) was by far the least annoying of the three factions. :P Gah, I just wish I could play this game.

It's the kind of game (massive, persistent world with ongoing military campaigns organized by the playerbase) that I remember wishing existed in the past. Too bad it's only for PC. :(

@People with computer advice: Hmm... Thanks. I have a laptop, though, so I think I would be looking at making a new PC for gaming. Or I could just be lazy and get a (very powerful) gaming laptop like my friend has, although that would be expensive... Portability is kinda important for me though, as I'm not sure if I might be moving at some point in the near future.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: March 16, 2013, 09:18:13 am »

I can't play without partly shutting down my anti-virus and running the program as administrator, which it should be doing anyway. Planetside 2 loves playing hard to get.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: March 16, 2013, 09:27:11 am »

Amusing my PS2-less self by watching the various videos on their channel.
As much as I hate dubstep, I might have to go with the Vanu, as their little video (not to mention the voiceover) was by far the least annoying of the three factions. :P Gah, I just wish I could play this game.

It's the kind of game (massive, persistent world with ongoing military campaigns organized by the playerbase) that I remember wishing existed in the past. Too bad it's only for PC. :(

@People with computer advice: Hmm... Thanks. I have a laptop, though, so I think I would be looking at making a new PC for gaming. Or I could just be lazy and get a (very powerful) gaming laptop like my friend has, although that would be expensive... Portability is kinda important for me though, as I'm not sure if I might be moving at some point in the near future.

Well you already have a laptop. Use it for your work and then use the desktop for games. it's easier on the subconscious to keep things like that physically separate anyhow, and likely your laptop isn't actually outdated for anything but games.

At my office we're using XP machines from the last time I worked there, which was around 7 years. It's not ideal, but the machines are actually still decent for office-work.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: March 16, 2013, 09:56:15 am »

After spending 7+ hours downloading it, I found I can't play it.

No GUI, low FPS, jerks about more than jumping beans, and I can't even close it without using windows task manager.
Is it CPU or GPU capped? Try fiddling with the settings and updating your drivers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 826