Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089630 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6630 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:02 pm »

It does seem to be odd to force you to switch- I picture the entire utility of an underbarrel weapon is having the potential to fire either without having to swap things around.

Flak armor is the best bet for a lot of classes- I know my engy is heavily certed into it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: March 20, 2013, 09:15:33 pm »

Direct hits with the grenade launcher seem to kill pretty much everything short of a max. I can't recall any soft infantry surviving it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: March 21, 2013, 01:46:34 am »

On terms of armor...
What's the best armor for an up-and-close infiltrator? I'll still probably be running with the Hunter cloak, since I want that longer run time, but.. I've currently been going through nanoweave 2.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:18 am »

On terms of armor...
What's the best armor for an up-and-close infiltrator? I'll still probably be running with the Hunter cloak, since I want that longer run time, but.. I've currently been going through nanoweave 2.
Normally infiltrators are in back sniping people, nanoweave is good for that because it can be the difference between a one-shot death and barely surviving an enemy sniper bullet. If you're up close and personally, it really kind of depends on what you're up against- I haven't played that type of infiltrator so I can't really comment. For every other class it's almost always Flak armor, because you need to survive multiple explosions to support your buddies- whether through healing, repairing, or taking the bullets/explosions to the face while your friends repair/heal you. Since you shouldn't be taking bullets in a base defense in the first place, nanoweave would be ok to give you an edge while you flank people from behind. I could also see Advanced Shield Generator being of some use- it might kick in regeneration fast enough to help for hit and run tactics, and the last few levels of it are much cheaper than nanoweave or flak.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: March 21, 2013, 07:15:41 am »

And now I hugely regret not checking the daily deals yesterday...

Update news;
GU5 now. Mostly just account wide updates, some tweaks.
Empire specific rocket launchers should be out Friday. There was also a stream preview of them here

That second post includes lots of other information about future direction and roadmap changes, plus details on the recent bugs. Worth reading.

Also; Connery and Helios will be merged soon.
PS2 maps got updated.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6635 on: March 21, 2013, 08:07:13 am »

On terms of armor...

I've been running nanoweave on my infiltrator. It gives you a bigger margin to escape when you cloak and run. Then just hack an equipment terminal and swap to medic for 5 secs to regen.

I've sometimes run with the extra ammo suit when fighting in mini-bases that don't have a hackable equipment terminal, though that has become less necessary since the recent increase in base ammo carried.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:45 am »

I have 700 SC on standby for the Phoenix and plenty of certs to trick it out.  Looks like it's ready to do great damage- hopefully it doesn't go the PS1 route of catching nerf after nerf after nerf.

Although given it has a custom scope already, I'm wondering just what attachments will be available for it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6637 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:54 am »

Now, I'm an engineer, and I appreciate opprotunities to deploy sundies and ammo boxes, but it would be nice if there were more base terminals and they were more spaced out. They are less powerful than they might appear- since it takes at least 3-5 seconds just to click through to change loadouts, plenty for someone pursuing you to finish you off.

Meanwhile, they provide great secondary objectives for your infiltrator to take out.

Also, let infiltrators hack terminal stumps. This doesn't repair them, but it lets an engie on your team repair them.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: March 21, 2013, 11:00:48 am »

Also, let infiltrators hack terminal stumps. This doesn't repair them, but it lets an engie on your team repair them.
Yes please.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: March 21, 2013, 11:08:59 am »

Yes please.
And destroyed turrets. Please.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: March 21, 2013, 11:52:21 am »

Nothing like grabbing the engineer class to repair some turrets and discovering they all belong to the other team. :D

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: March 21, 2013, 10:42:09 pm »

Paul: 2 words: smoke launcher

Grenade is probably better for cert gains and I understand the appeal. However, smoke is great for moving up a whole squad that is pinned down; as long as you can convince them to run towards the smoke. If by yourself though, grenade launcher would be quite the equalizer.

Smoke also will stop flanking infantry from having a surprise firing lane to mow down a whole group of friendlies. This is greatly useful as a medic.

Also if you are lucky enough to be engaged in infantry zerg vs infantry zerg fights in somewhat open ground, enjoy your ability to block line of sight to whatever portion you choose. Of note is bridge assaults; by smoking the bridge ahead of you, you can advance and shoot enemies as they emerge from the cloud. Anytime you see a swarm of enemy infantry it never hurts to launch a smoke into their midst as it will reduce their effective return fire.
Another thing of note: last I checked, you can still see through it very well with the high contrast scopes. If you use those a lot, smoke would make for an excellent combo. Drive it up, smoke, and you now have free reign to kill all the enemies who you can see and who now cannot see you.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6642 on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:56 pm »

I'm enjoying the grenade launcher. I've been getting a good many kills with it now. Some people seem to just not die from being hit by it though, I'm assuming they have the best flak armor. Either that or it's lag. I land a grenade that looks to be right on top of them but they take a bullet or two to finish off. But most people just drop when it hits them.

It has come in handy on a good many occasions though - I managed to drop one right on top of three guys clustered together, and it killed all three. It seems to have a sweet spot in CQC too, if it's just far enough away that it explodes it's nearly impossible to miss with. In areas with spaces like this it's nice to be able to step in an area with a heavy firefight going on and drop a grenade on top of someone, then step outside to reload and step right back in to do it again. At one point a bunch of VS were holding a room with a stream of NC and VS coming in from both ends and a firefight going on right inside. I put an ammo pack outside and kept stepping in and firing grenades, I got so many kills before we finally cleared the room.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: March 22, 2013, 12:37:34 am »

I know that feeling. I was once at a corner, near a door, with an ammo pack under me, and a bunch of TR just outside. We were both pinned down and couldnt advance (it was in Vanu archive). I plopped grenade after grenade after grenade, and they all died. A medic resurected one or two while I was reloading, and they died again. I got many kills that day.  :D
The "safety" minimum distance is quite annoying. I have to learn it better than that.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: March 22, 2013, 03:11:20 am »

The grenade launcher also doesn't seem to give a direction indicator when hit by it, which means that you can stay hidden and using it pretty easily. I flanked a big group of enemies during night once on Esamir, near Glacier station. Sitting a few meters away a few meters up on a slope, I just kept raining grenades on them until they were all dead. I got 10 or 15 kills from that, and not one of them shot at me. It helped that I had a similarly-sized friendly force of infantry pinning them behind a rock, of course, but still, I was completely out in the open.
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 826