Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084886 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6720 on: April 01, 2013, 04:24:31 pm »

True, but a Galaxy falling on your head is pretty damn distracting, which is nice when you're trying to throw mines.

Speaking of falling on your head, I was on a ridge over Splitpeak Pass firing down on the occupying VS when I got splattered by a friendly drop pod.  It was too funny to be mad.
Drop pods are probably the most amusing weapon in the game. I podded onto a mobile enemy sunderer the other day, and instead of the expected explosion I got killed. It was too unexpected to be upset about. I'm not sure if you can actually kill sunderers with a drop pod though, but my death was definitely due to lag compensation. My connection is terrible.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: April 01, 2013, 04:37:48 pm »

You have yet to have your ESF pegged by a friendly drop pod, I take it?   :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: April 01, 2013, 04:56:21 pm »

I did that to a friendly lib once. This was before I knew you could steer the pod. I felt bad about it but guiltless since drop pods were indiscriminate and uncaring forces of nature to me then.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: April 01, 2013, 08:31:03 pm »

Interesting to see how this will work out with the Lattice system.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #6725 on: April 01, 2013, 09:01:15 pm »

I'm 50/50 on members getting an exclusive sale. I primarily spend my SC on sales, so having an option blocked off for me makes me feel a little slighted. On the other hand, membership doesn't seem to have enough benefits to make it worth a monthly paycheck, and having an exclusive daily sale makes that a little nicer.

I just wish wouldn't have to give SoE my credit card information in order to become a member. They don't have a very good track record with protecting sensitive information.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: April 01, 2013, 09:39:59 pm »

The Gamestop card that comes with the NS11A can be redeemed for a month of membership, but then you have to pay at the 15/month rate instead of the discount extended memberships.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: April 01, 2013, 09:45:53 pm »

Finally got enough certs to get a cloaked flash with a Kolt gun. It's hilarious.

Note: It's surprisingly effective against maxes. However, lancers will forever be your doom. That and friendly vehicles. People don't notice cloaked flashes.

The Alert system sounds good, though I tend to play at peak times, so I probably won't see much of it.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: April 01, 2013, 10:27:24 pm »

Man, the only way I can reliably kill things is with the artillery on that two base in the middle of Indar.

I also manage to hotdrop on a snipers nest, somehow.

I have no idea what I'm doing in this game.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: April 02, 2013, 12:09:43 am »

I wonder how much of the GU6 info is april fools related...

Over the weekend I got around 10 certs in less than a minute, hot-dropped into a battlezone (crossroads, my faction owned tower)  and proceeded to blow up a shundie with my AV turret, then get some direct shots on infantry,  the shundie was quite close to the tower and not hiding at all for some reason.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: April 02, 2013, 05:45:02 pm »

Trying this out again after a long break.

Skyguards...skyguards everywhere. Flying seems pretty darn useless at this point, add to that the only liberators still in the sky are piloted by diehard flyers and are no picnic to take out. Inbetween flak and lockons every battlefield seems like a no fly zone, feels like my bird is now a mere vulture looming overhead to pick off the stragglers when the battle is won.

Also engineer AV turret hasn't been nerfed, lulz. Take a vanguard to the field get shot down before I can get three long range shots in. Manage to slip out in time and deploy a free of charge infinite ammo AV turret, get 3 tank kills and 2 phalanx turrets. Seems balanced.  ???

It's looking like armor is next on the chopping block after air, in the short time I played again I've seen time and time again infantry charging towards enemy armor. Infantry...charging towards armor, and armor using hit and run (and repair) against foot soldiers. Wut. I get that infantry should destroy armor in urban scenarios or hilly landscapes but there are so many devestating long range weapons now it's insane.

Maybe I should just try playing the game as infantry exclusive and treat vehicles as fancy armed transports, seems to be the general direction the game has gone. Hail to the heavy assault overlords?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6732 on: April 02, 2013, 06:03:40 pm »

Trying this out again after a long break.

Skyguards...skyguards everywhere. Flying seems pretty darn useless at this point, add to that the only liberators still in the sky are piloted by diehard flyers and are no picnic to take out. Inbetween flak and lockons every battlefield seems like a no fly zone, feels like my bird is now a mere vulture looming overhead to pick off the stragglers when the battle is won.

Also engineer AV turret hasn't been nerfed, lulz. Take a vanguard to the field get shot down before I can get three long range shots in. Manage to slip out in time and deploy a free of charge infinite ammo AV turret, get 3 tank kills and 2 phalanx turrets. Seems balanced.  ???

It's looking like armor is next on the chopping block after air, in the short time I played again I've seen time and time again infantry charging towards enemy armor. Infantry...charging towards armor, and armor using hit and run (and repair) against foot soldiers. Wut. I get that infantry should destroy armor in urban scenarios or hilly landscapes but there are so many devestating long range weapons now it's insane.

Maybe I should just try playing the game as infantry exclusive and treat vehicles as fancy armed transports, seems to be the general direction the game has gone. Hail to the heavy assault overlords?
1. Skyguards aren't even that good.
2. Engineer AV turret is fly-by-wire, not lock on, so its pretty easy to shake if you can break LOS to the shooter.
3. We bring tons of flak because people spam aircraft. Its pretty natural to seek air superiority, and to attempt to deny it. I'm not sure this is even a valid complaint. Its like saying "Why does the enemy shoot at me?!"
4. Armor isn't an anti-infantry weapon. Infantry are in fact the biggest weakness of armor, because armor is slow and less maneuverable. A guy with a jetpack can fly over you where your turret can't traverse. Armor is intended to fight armor, not own everything in the battlespace. A properly equipped tank can devastate infantry, but they do so at the sacrifice of their anti-armor capabilities. Bring a high explosive turret next time instead and see how close they get. Huge splash makes infantry die. The real problem I have with my tank is not infantry but base turrets and strike fighters with rocket pods.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: April 02, 2013, 06:14:19 pm »

The best use of tanks I've seen are the ones far away from the fighting and shooting at fortified positions and cover.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: April 02, 2013, 06:57:27 pm »

I just recently got into trying the MBT; I can't for the life of me kill an infantry with the anti-infantry rounds. The magrider's only got one shot, and every time I fire it at someone they survive. The prevalence of flak armor is likely to be blamed, but it feels like the AI rounds are essentially worthless unless I'm shooting at a sunderer to kill the engies attempting to repair it (this is actually a really effective way to take out a sunderer as it turns out, with bonus points included!), or firing into a veritable cloud of infantry packed into a room and killing the two poor fools not lucky enough to be certed into flak armor.

Of course, I remember what it was like as an infantry and taking those rounds from across a football field and getting one-shot. That wasn't much fun either. I wish they would just cave in and up the TTK on everything in the game, there's simply no room for tweaking balance when the only tweaking you can do is changing a gun from a one hit kill to a two hit kill or vice versa.
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 826